Recommendations for "Snake" gun needed

This is a discussion on Recommendations for "Snake" gun needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been informed that a couple of the job sites that I will be working at this year are having a huge problem with ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for "Snake" gun needed

Recommendations for "Snake" gun needed

I have been informed that a couple of the job sites that I will be working at this year are having a huge problem with rattlesnakes (READ - above normal for the area)

The company policy is "No Guns" (Verbal only), yet my supervisor mentioned that one should probably keep the snake shooter handy.

I responded with "So, I won't catch any grief if I keep a .410ga derringer in my pocket?" No response but no denial either.

I remember seeing a derringer that was fairly popular that ran only $150 in what ever caliber you want. I am not going to keep snake loads in my carry gun (It's a secret - Always carry, never tell).

Anyhow, I am not too worried about them if I come across one (you go your way, I'll go the other), just when I am in a position where either backing up or avoiding is not going to work so well (crawling under a piece of equipment, I need to be where it is currently at and it turns into a territory dispute...) an eye to eye meeting does not appeal to me.

I am not walking around with a shovel all day, and I am not qualified to be a snake handler with the hooked rods.

So, having said that, any recommendations for a reliable, small, not going to break my wrist, snake gun?

Web links appreciated.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

I'd look at Bond Arms.

I believe they make a .410 Derringer. If not you can always check out Taurus and their 5-Shot 45LC/410 combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I have been informed that a couple of the job sites that I will be working at this year are having a huge problem with rattlesnakes (READ - above normal for the area)

The company policy is "No Guns" (Verbal only), yet my supervisor mentioned that one should probably keep the snake shooter handy.

I responded with "So, I won't catch any grief if I keep a .410ga derringer in my pocket?" No response but no denial either.
    So if you whip out a gun and shoot a snake, don't be surprised when you get fired. In other words, don't designate yourself as the snake shooter for the crew just because you are carrying a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Anyhow, I am not too worried about them if I come across one (you go your way, I'll go the other), just when I am in a position where either backing up or avoiding is not going to work so well (crawling under a piece of equipment, I need to be where it is currently at and it turns into a territory dispute...) an eye to eye meeting does not appeal to me.

I am not walking around with a shovel all day, and I am not qualified to be a snake handler with the hooked rods.

So, having said that, any recommendations for a reliable, small, not going to break my wrist, snake gun?
    Wow, it should be fun being under a piece of equipment and shooting a shotshell. You may not want to carry a shovel all day, but I would suggest you wear some ballistic goggles/glasses so that ricochets don't blind you. Little pellets in the skin can be removed fairly easily, but restoring vision is much more difficult. By "ballistic" I mean glasses that will stop the pellets, not your everyday cheapo shooting glasses. I believe Gargoyles, Wiley, and a couple of other companies make glasses that will stop birdshot.

Buying a derringer would be a bit stupid, especially a Bond Arms derringer. It is big, heavy, and you get ONLY 2 shots. Plus it is single action only and so you have to thumb cock each shot. You would be much better off with a .357 snubbie 5 shot revolver firing CCI shotshells. Recoil with shotshells really isn't bad at all (nothing like a slug). You will get 5 shots instead of 2. You can carry .357 or .38 spl loads. You can have a gun that is MUCH lighter if you get an airweight or the like. Plus, the gun will be more useful for things outside of work than the Bond Arms.

The Judge would be a good gun, BUT if you want to shoot buckshot every, then you need to buy the long cylinder version (3" I believe) and not the standard smaller version. Also, the gun is MUCH larger than other than snubbies or the Bond Arms derringer. It would be great for the job, but it isn't a gun you are going to readily and easily conceal which makes it a bad gun for you on the job site where guns are not allowed.

DON'T go with a NAA mini revolver loaded with rat shot from CCI. It is single action only and you need to hit the brain with it and the tiny pellets just aren't great for the job.

My advice to you, if you are worried about being under equipment and meeting a snake, is to buy a security mirror on a stick (such as is used to look under vehicles by security folks). You can look at the areas you need to visit under vehicles before you crawl to them. You look before you go under and then you use it to look around corners up in crevices, taking it with you as you go.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

I agree with consensus that shooting a snake will get you fired, so proceed at your own risk.

Rather than buying another gun (especially a .410 derringer) my choice would be snake shot rounds for one of my carry guns. I know you can get them in 9mm, and I'm pretty sure you can get them in .45 too.

Distinguished Member
    Don't know, but what would OC spray do to a snake???? If it will stop a bear, I would think it may give the snake a chance to re-evaluate it's situation.

If OC spray would work, then it take the gun/company policy thing out of the picture, and may save your job.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I have worked in areas that are homes to snakes. The old "bucks'' always said carry a revolver with shot in them. CCI shot shells will keep the snake down allowing you to exit or shoot it again. Personally I carry a Tarus 669 with the first 3 chambers loaded with shot.

Another tip would be to run your machine around the area you are going to work in and the ground vibrations should cause the snakes to exit. Notice I said should..... does not always work but is always worth a try. Nothing like walking up to look at a tree and find a snake looking at you........

I generally carry most days because of working in remote areas that offer a variety of dangers (rabid animals, bears, snakes etc).

I have used CCI shot shells in my 9mm Glock to shoot 7 snakes at my pond, but they frequently do not completely cycle the action. They worked so well that I switched to regular practice ammo so that I could give the snakes a little better chance. I hope there are no PETA members on here, no snakes are alright for my wife, and when they quickly move away close to my stepping it is startling. One confirmed cottonmouth and one chicken/rat snake (in the barn) but the rest were variegated water snakes. It is now my ritual practice when I go out to feed the catfish to walk around the pond slowly with my sidearm. It also gives me some draw practice.

Administrator
    Jframe with CCI snake shot works well.
    Be cautious of the low velocity shot though, it will skip and ricochet all over the place.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have dealt with a lot of dangerous snakes in my time (even kept one as a pet for awhile!). Personally, I wouldn't bother with a snake gun - If you miss the head, its amazing how alive and dangerous they still can be. And as pointed out, the ricocheting shot can cause some issues. I was using one once to demonstrate it, the shot came back and hit my buddy in the check. Only the very surface of the skin was broken (no blood) but a nice little red spot made it easy to find. After this experience - I decided it wasn't for me.

A good shovel with a long handle works good, and if that just pins it down (versus cutting it in two) a second shovel to the head works great. Once its dead, the shovel is the best way to remove it as well.

Okay - with that said, if you see the snake before it bites you - give it a chance to retreat, it will retreat before it tries to attack you. There are very few snakes that will aggressively (offensively) attack you and most of those live in Africa and a few in Australia. Striking is defensive and/or a feeding method. Give the snake some room, and it will retreat. Just like BG's it is the ones you don't realize are there that can make a bad day.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

My favorite "snake charmer" for over twenty years was a SSA my dad bought used and was loaded with the CCI's that SIXTO said. Loaded with regular .22's itwas HOURS of plinking fun
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Price

Not sure what model you were looking at, but the American Derringer:
    GunBroker.com guns: American Derringer .45 Colt / .410 not Bond Arms (item: 99366615 ends: May-15-08 04:19:07 PM)
    And Bond Arms:
    GunBroker.com guns: Bond Arms Texas Defender 45/410 ,3 inch barrel (item: 99280806 ends: May-10-08 04:00:41 PM)

Are showing a lot more than $150 on Gunbroker (picked some auctions at random, nobody I know)

Maybe this:
    GunBroker.com guns: Cobra Long Bore .38 Spl Derringer Nickel/Rosewood (item: 99468513 ends: May-16-08 08:26:53 PM)
    in .38 spl would carry enough shot for comfort, Cobra also makes them in .22mag if you want to go smaller, or 9mm if you want common ammo with your 9mm CCW.

Or this:
    GunBroker.com guns: LEINAD DD Derringer 45LC/410GA (item: 99441264 ends: May-16-08 04:13:36 PM)
    Looks like what used to be called "FMJ". How unusual that a cheap gun company all of a sudden changes their name but if you had to go .410 and didn't care about loosing it.

Pistol shotshell ballistics and payloads:
    CCI - Shotshells
    CCI - Products/Ballistics

The smallest shot Federal or Remington lists in .410 is #9, and it's in a premium (read expensive) load.
    Federal Premium Ballistics
    Remington Premier® STS® Target Loads
    Winchester lists it in the AA line, too.
    Shotshell
    Federal and Winchester also list .22lr shot loads, too. one in #9, one in #12 shot. Bet that performs like Thor's hammer

Now, if it was me and I didn't trust the OC, I'd dig out one of my small NAA or Hi Standard .22mag derringers and load up with CCI. That should do enough to give me time to get to my shovel. If i'm out of range for the CCI shot, I'm out of range of the snake.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    my business often takes me into areas frequented by snakes, and there are times when snakes just plain old need killin'. In that case, a cheap revolver with shot shells is fine. For "little snakes" with short strike capability I don't mind the 22 shot loads. I have an old RG14 than drops into any pocket that works fine. For the more formidable snakes, I carry an old J-frame Rossi .38 with two shot shells set up first in the rotation, and three jhp's behind. At "snake distances" the standard .38 shot shells do fine. I also don't believe the myth about damaging the rifling of a handgun with a limited diet of shot shells. Shoot it, clean it......repeat as necessary

Also, for a field beater/snake gun, just find a used revolver that is in reliable shooting condition that you don't mind scratching, getting sweaty, muddy, etc. A new gun is likely to see more console or glove box time than actual carry time!

I grew up on the plains of CO, so being aware of snakes, and keeping an eye out for them was firmly pounded into me by dad when we were out turfing prairie dogs, (PETA - KMA ).

Even the use of a shovel will generally be to scoop up the critter and give it a little flight lesson. No need to kill it unless there is a territory dispute.

If it comes down to doing an inspection of the area under the equipment first, then I may as well get out the rosebud on the oxy-acetylene kit and do a quick flame job and burn anyone out. I sure as heck am not going to mace under or anywhere I need to work. Maybe a can of brake-clean and a lighter.

I have some good safety glasses (job requirement) so no worries there, and there is also the rule...what is behind your target.

I will check into this with the safety supervisor and see how her stance will be, since she is one who made the NO GUNS statement at the company meeting. Besides, I don't have any guns, only tools.

I thought that a box of 25 .410 shotgun shells would be cheaper than 10 .357 CCI. I may have to go the Mad Max route and get the sawed off double barrel 12ga.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    I have had the pleasure of killing a few rattlesnakes and I have used a lot of different guns to do it. CCI Shot Shells suck in my opinion!

I'll take a 12 GA with low base #8 shot. I HATE SNAKES!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links