Defensive Carry banner

Moon Madness

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  OD* 
#1 ·
All right lay something to rest for me.

I have this deep seated paranoia of a revolver that uses moon clips as a defensive gun. I'm paranoid that the moon clips seem to be thin and might bend with use, especially considering how you have to take the brass out of the clips. I'm then worried that a bent moon clip would keep the cylinder from rotating and causing one heck of a bad day.

I'm also paranoid that I couldn't reload a moon clip with loose ammunition in the field without some kind of special tool. With a regular revolver you just drop them in, and at least I can reload a detachable box magazine with my thumbs even if it is slow or I can't quite squeeze that last one in sometimes.

That's probably why I'll never actually carry a revolver that uses clips as a CCW gun, because it just seems to defeat the reason I like the platform so much.

Is my paranoia unfounded? I realize if such a thing makes me nervous I should simply continue to avoid it, but I want to know if this is a "perception" thing on my end that stems from some irrational fear or if this is a genuine issue or maybe a little bit of both.

See less See more
#5 ·
Euc - while I do not carry such a revo - probably wouldn't, I reckon moon clips are fine, and great if as Bud says you keep some for carry only.

I use those plastic dealies at range - they are OK but useless for carry - too flexible. If a moonclip is treated right and not abused, it will take quite some force to bend a good steel one. Plus too - if used for carry then each loaded clip should be test fitted to gun before use, to ensure no binding.

Loading without tools is easy - just a fiddly knack to develop - I just use my demooner for getting out fired cases.

Biggest plus is simply speed - loading and unloading are super fast. You don't get that irritating single case hang up when dumping and - all six go in sweet and fast on reload.

Not for everyone tho I admit - depends how you get on with them.

#10 ·
Moon clips.

I'm not familiar with the auto rim design so maybe this is a non-issue but, it seems to me that the recessed cylinder face would make the possibility of light primer strikes much more likely. I know the moon clips aren't very thick but unless the thickness of the case head makes up that space isn't it asking for trouble?

As far as using one for defensive applications, I'd want several preloaded clips on hand. Hey, whudda I know? I'm packing a J-frame with Bianchi speedstrips for reloads - talk about slow!
Jack

#14 ·
Seriously

Doncha guys think that the Moon Clip Revolver has pretty much seen the end of its era as a modern day defensive firearm?
I know that when the SHTF the very last thing I want on my mind is doggone Moon Clips. Just my opinion.
I would not carry a Moon Clip Wheelie.
There are much better and more "hassle free" defensive carry weapon choices these days.

#15 ·
End of era QK? Well only in as much as semi's pretty much rule the roost now.

For someone who does want to carry a revo then I do think moonclips are still perhaps fastest reloads on the block. Jerry Mikulic IIRC used these to great effect.

I would carry my 625 if need be - tho as a 5" it is not really practical but - reloads are fast - I mean FAST!!

Otherwise I'd manage with revo and Comp II speedloaders - those with practice are also about as fast as a mag change.

For now tho 226, 15+1 is more reassuring :smile:

#17 ·
Outdated?

Seems revolvers in general are considered somewhat part of a bygone era - hunting applications aside. I love 1911s and Sig, H&K, Glock, etc. DO offer amazing combat weapons but there's something classy about a good sturdy wheelgun. My S&W M66 is "old school" cool and the 125gr. .357mag is still a good defensive round. A Custom Shop 625 would be a welcome addition to my collection too - moon clips and all. :wink:

The older I get, the more I appreciate the old ways: 1911s, revolvers, handcrafted flyrods.... I'm turning into a crusty old fart, huh?
Jack

#20 ·
Euc,

There ain't a thing wrong with moon clips, full or halves, if you know the trick to finding good ones made of spring steel like the originals were. You drop them on concrete, the good ones will make a high pitched "ping." Trust me, you are not going to bend them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.