Moon Madness

Moon Madness

This is a discussion on Moon Madness within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All right lay something to rest for me. I have this deep seated paranoia of a revolver that uses moon clips as a defensive gun. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moon Madness

Moon Madness

All right lay something to rest for me.

I have this deep seated paranoia of a revolver that uses moon clips as a defensive gun. I'm paranoid that the moon clips seem to be thin and might bend with use, especially considering how you have to take the brass out of the clips. I'm then worried that a bent moon clip would keep the cylinder from rotating and causing one heck of a bad day.

I'm also paranoid that I couldn't reload a moon clip with loose ammunition in the field without some kind of special tool. With a regular revolver you just drop them in, and at least I can reload a detachable box magazine with my thumbs even if it is slow or I can't quite squeeze that last one in sometimes.

That's probably why I'll never actually carry a revolver that uses clips as a CCW gun, because it just seems to defeat the reason I like the platform so much.

Is my paranoia unfounded? I realize if such a thing makes me nervous I should simply continue to avoid it, but I want to know if this is a "perception" thing on my end that stems from some irrational fear or if this is a genuine issue or maybe a little bit of both.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I have pondered that very same question, I don't use moon clips on my rev's and don't know why someone would(on a personal defence gun) Have you ever tried to bend one?

Moon Clips can bend thats why you have soem for range some for carry if this is a 45acp gun the easy way around it is 45 acp rimmed or 45 auto rim what ever they call it

Then it just reloads like a regular wheelie

Bud, where would you get such cartridges and is it anything decent for your own self protection?

Assistant Administrator
    Euc - while I do not carry such a revo - probably wouldn't, I reckon moon clips are fine, and great if as Bud says you keep some for carry only.

I use those plastic dealies at range - they are OK but useless for carry - too flexible. If a moonclip is treated right and not abused, it will take quite some force to bend a good steel one. Plus too - if used for carry then each loaded clip should be test fitted to gun before use, to ensure no binding.

Loading without tools is easy - just a fiddly knack to develop - I just use my demooner for getting out fired cases.

Biggest plus is simply speed - loading and unloading are super fast. You don't get that irritating single case hang up when dumping and - all six go in sweet and fast on reload.

Not for everyone tho I admit - depends how you get on with them.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

the 45 auto rim is loaded the same as a 45acp round not sure about hollow points ill look and see

Did not find it on Remingtons site but it doesnt list very well..

You can get brass from midway but it didnt find any pre loaded but im sure you could find someone to load it at one of these companys

This is just me... but unless there's a factory load I can buy and carry, I don't consider it a viable defensive cartridge unless we're talking hypotheticals.

It used to be make and i still see it now and then so i guess it iswill be hard getting .. you'd be just fine with moon clips

Moon clips.

I'm not familiar with the auto rim design so maybe this is a non-issue but, it seems to me that the recessed cylinder face would make the possibility of light primer strikes much more likely. I know the moon clips aren't very thick but unless the thickness of the case head makes up that space isn't it asking for trouble?

As far as using one for defensive applications, I'd want several preloaded clips on hand. Hey, whudda I know? I'm packing a J-frame with Bianchi speedstrips for reloads - talk about slow!
    Jack

They auto rim rims thickness is the size of acp rim and the moon clip added together

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    They auto rim rims thickness is the size of acp rim and the moon clip added together
    Thanks, learn something new everyday!

No problem as im finding out the Auto rim really i guess isnt around anymore except for handloaders to use in there mooned Wheelies probley to save the moon clips

Administrator

Seriously

Doncha guys think that the Moon Clip Revolver has pretty much seen the end of its era as a modern day defensive firearm?
    I know that when the SHTF the very last thing I want on my mind is doggone Moon Clips. Just my opinion.
    I would not carry a Moon Clip Wheelie.
    There are much better and more "hassle free" defensive carry weapon choices these days.

Assistant Administrator
    End of era QK? Well only in as much as semi's pretty much rule the roost now.

For someone who does want to carry a revo then I do think moonclips are still perhaps fastest reloads on the block. Jerry Mikulic IIRC used these to great effect.

I would carry my 625 if need be - tho as a 5" it is not really practical but - reloads are fast - I mean FAST!!

Otherwise I'd manage with revo and Comp II speedloaders - those with practice are also about as fast as a mag change.

For now tho 226, 15+1 is more reassuring
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links