One in the pipe with no manual safety?!

One in the pipe with no manual safety?!

This is a discussion on One in the pipe with no manual safety?! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First a little background.... I have been shooting since I was 8, was given a 1911 .45 when I was ten (I had to wait ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One in the pipe with no manual safety?!

Question One in the pipe with no manual safety?!

First a little background....

I have been shooting since I was 8, was given a 1911 .45 when I was ten (I had to wait a few years before I actually got it...LOL). I carried it with one in the pipe for several years without any problems.

I recently purchased a XD-45 that does not have a manual safety just the trigger safety and the good ole grip safety. Since it was a new gun I decided to not carry with one chambered. And thank God that I did! I was trying to learn the pistol by keeping it cocked without a missle in the launcher, to see if I would trigger the trigger in everyday activity.

One late night I needed to check the mail so I grabbed the XD and put it my pants....mexican style (I know...I know)....only to hear a very distinctive "click".

Now I am scarred to death to carry it chambered. I have three kids and would die if anything happened to them. They are the reason I carry in the first place.

I have spent some time at the range to see how quick I can draw and cock....but it is still not as quick. Most situations are not going to give you the time to rack one....

I always carry it with a holster that covers the trigger and follow ALL safety rules to a tee. I have been carrying it for 3 months with it cocked and empty without another accidental "click".

I know that the XD is a very popular weapon....any advice?

VIP Member
    Don't carry mexican again.

Use a quality holster.

Remain conscious of the 4 safety rules.

Did you figure out what got caught in the trigger to make it engage? Was it your clothes? If so, and you now always use a holster and stay safety conscious, I think you will be okay. I've been carrying an XD in my groin area for over a year, and I'm comfortable with it. Of course, I reholster very carefully, and when holstered properly, the gun is not pointed at anything other than between my feet.

What holster type do you use? IWB, OWB, or something else?

First off, welcome aboard.

I've carried both a DAO 9mm without a manual safety and S&W j-frame fully loaded without and isues. It's just something that one has to get used to. Normally I carry a c&l 1911, but there are times I carry other pistols. I don't carry the 1911 becuase of the safeties, but because of the fact it is a .45.

Carrying in condition 3 is a comfort issue. Your xd has a manual safety, the grip safety. If it is carried properly in a quality holster then carrying condition 1 is a non-issue, and much faster to get into play than when in condition 3, if you run a search on this site you will find this issue comes up fairly regularly.

EDIT: here is a thread you can look at about the issue: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...on-merged.html
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

First off, I think you should always carry your gun in a holster, even pocket carry. That being said, with a good holster, you should never worry about the click, especially with a XD. When I holster mine, I hold it with two fingers on the grip and push down, never touching the grip safety, thus insuring it will not, and can not fire.
    The main reason I carry with a round in the chamber has nothing to do with timing. If I am ever in a close combat situation, I am guessing 75% of the time my off hand will be defending myself some how. Pretty much guaranteeing I will not be able to rack the slide if I carried my gun without one in the pipe.

Any of my three main carry guns will ALWAYS be in the position to fire once they break leather. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Defensor; May 11th, 2008 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Gramma!
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

how did the ND happen (was it fabric getting into the guard or did you have a lapse and have your finger in there)?

don't carry without a holster, it only takes a few seconds to put it on. If that's too much, buy a cheap clip-on (that still covers the trigger guard) for those times when you just have to step outside.

carry your gun fully loaded.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepnheat View Post
    First a little background....

I have been shooting since I was 8, was given a 1911 .45 when I was ten (I had to wait a few years before I actually got it...LOL). I carried it with one in the pipe for several years without any problems.

I recently purchased a XD-45 that does not have a manual safety just the trigger safety and the good ole grip safety. Since it was a new gun I decided to not carry with one chambered. And thank God that I did! I was trying to learn the pistol by keeping it cocked without a missle in the launcher, to see if I would trigger the trigger in everyday activity.

One late night I needed to check the mail so I grabbed the XD and put it my pants....mexican style (I know...I know)....only to hear a very distinctive "click".
    Here's the actual lesson - the pistol itself is perfectly safe, but unsafe handling can cause a negligent discharge in any firearm.

Now I am scarred to death to carry it chambered. I have three kids and would die if anything happened to them. They are the reason I carry in the first place.

I have spent some time at the range to see how quick I can draw and cock....but it is still not as quick. Most situations are not going to give you the time to rack one....
    Not only do you lose time - time you may not have - having to draw and then cycle the slide, but what happens if your other hand is busy moving one of your kids off the line of attack, or fending off an attacker?

I always carry it with a holster that covers the trigger and follow ALL safety rules to a tee. I have been carrying it for 3 months with it cocked and empty without another accidental "click".

I know that the XD is a very popular weapon....any advice?
    You've solved your own dilemma right there - always carry in a proper holster, and you'll be just fine.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Don't carry mexican style (I usually don't).....be cautious....be safe......

that was a great lesson paid for cheaply. I see cops mexican carrying glocks in that show "Cops" or put confiscated pistols in the back sans holsters. I am not sure but aren't most NDs with glocks are associated with holstering and the trigger getting snagged with clothing.

The Israelis carry their pistols condition 3 and they have to rack the slide to charge the weapon. I guess if you practice enough this can be done rather efficiently.

defensor, can you describe your XD holstering in more detail? do you put the 2 fingers high in the grip w/o the palm contacting the grip safety? any pics?

thanks.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

VIP Member
    Always use a holster. If the gun is holstered properly you should not be able to touch the trigger until your draw is in progress. Don't touch the trigger unless you mean to shoot. With those 2 rules followed you are safe to carry with one in the pipe. Your weapon is not going to go off unless you have a defective weapon.

Distinguished Member
    From an XD owner

Mexican carry-

Holster-

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

The AMT DAO back-up series....... .45 .9 .40 etc have no safety except a heavy trigger pull.....always holster your weapon, no matter how long you've been around guns

Still harder to do this ND with an XD over a Glock. With XD you have to snag the trigger safety AND have the grip safety depressed. Obviously not that hard to do by accident when holstering, but as mentioned, with practice you can holster without touching the grip safety. XD's are now coming out with a manual thumb safety, so get one of those!

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Your best safeties are your brain, index finger & a good holster.

To reduce your anxiety, perhaps you should sell your current pistol and buy one of the new XDs with the manual safety.

You essentially solved your own problem. If you carry in a proper holster, you have no issues. When you just shove it in your pants, you had a discharge. Use the holster and that won't happen.
    "I play for keeps."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links