CZ 83 recoil question

This is a discussion on CZ 83 recoil question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This weekend Hubby and I took a tactical defensive pistol class where I was introduced to the CZ 82. All in all it was easy ...

Thread: CZ 83 recoil question

CZ 83 recoil question

This weekend Hubby and I took a tactical defensive pistol class where I was introduced to the CZ 82. All in all it was easy to handle and a good overall experience. My only problem is that after firing off a little over 200 rounds in a 3 hour period, the fleshy part of my hand between my thumb and forefinger is sore and slightly bruised.

I like the size and weight of the CZ, so I'm wondering if the recoil on the 83 is any lighter.

I'd appreciate opinions as I haven't bought a pistol yet.

2. Remove Ads

CZ's are nice little pistols, good shooters usually

Well, that would partly depend on which caliber variant of the 83 you purchased, since it comes in 9x18 Mak (Same as the 82), .380, or .32ACP. The weight on all the variants is pretty much the same.

Now, doing some unscientific research from memory, a FEG PA-63, which is a 9x18 Mak, and a Bersa Thunder .380, are almost identical in size and weight. I have both available to shoot when I'm back home, and the difference in kick between them is negligible. Both rounds kick about the same. There is a CZ in .380 in the stable too, and it kicks about the same as either of them.

The .32 would probably (once again I'm guessing) kick less, as the round has less power.

Now all that being said, 200 rounds is usually more than I would do in a practice session, my hand would probably be sore too.

All that being combined I would buy an 83 in .380 for the following reasons:

Ammo availabilty: you will have an easier time finding SD ammo and practice ammo for a .380 than you will a Makarov round.

The .380 is usually about the minimum most "experts" will reccomend for SD use. The .32 has been used before, and people carry it, and with shot placement it will do the job.

My suggestion is to try to find a place you can rent and shoot the variants and decide for yourself. As well as any other prospective pistol you might be looking at.

All that being said, Welcome to the forum, and don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Herbwoman View Post
    This weekend Hubby and I took a tactical defensive pistol class where I was introduced to the CZ 82. All in all it was easy to handle and a good overall experience. My only problem is that after firing off a little over 200 rounds in a 3 hour period, the fleshy part of my hand between my thumb and forefinger is sore and slightly bruised.

I like the size and weight of the CZ, so I'm wondering if the recoil on the 83 is any lighter.

I'd appreciate opinions as I haven't bought a pistol yet.
    Herbwoman,

Where did you take your tactical class? (I am near Melbourne.)

Take a look at the CZ P-01. For a little more money you get a more powerful caliber and a LOT more weapon.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Herbwoman,

Where did you take your tactical class? (I am near Melbourne.)

Take a look at the CZ P-01. For a little more money you get a more powerful caliber and a LOT more weapon.

I took the class down in Hallandale, north of Miami. Risks, Inc is the name of the company and Orlando Wilson was our instructor.

What's the size difference between the CZ 83 and the P-01?

Also, out of curiosity, since you're near me, where do you practice? I'm looking for a good range near us.

Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The CZ 82 and 83 are effectively the exact same. If the 9mm mak CZ 82 bothered you then the CZ 83 in .380 or 9mm mak would bother you too. If you really like the pistol then the only alternative is to change to a .32 caliber CZ 83 which is quite a bit softer in recoil and shouldn't bite the web of your thumb. This "bite" is a commonly mentioned feature of the CZ82 pistol, so you're not alone. I own both the 9mm and .32 cal pistols and can say that the smaller caliber pistol is one of my favorite range guns, mainly due to the easy recoil, accuracy and high capacity. The only downfall to the .32 CZ is the threat of rimlock, which can occur with certain brands of ammo. If you stick with european rounds, the occurance of rimlock seems to disappear. American ammo drives me nuts.

VIP Member
    Quite a bit of difference in the size of the P-01 and the CZ 83. Might look at the CZ RAMI in 9mm though. It is a sub compact and my wifes has proven highly accurate and reliable. Available in alloy frame or poly.

I've never seen a 82/83, but I did just buy a P-01 and can't say enough good things about it. I think B&H Gun Rack in Merrit Island put another one out (I bought mine there a couple weeks ago) so you should be able to check one out to see if the size is right.

Places I like to shoot in or around Melbourne: Gunsite in Merrit Island. The owner Steve is a great guy and will treat you right. We also shoot at the outdoor range in Sebastian sometimes. There's also Action Gun Outfitters off Aurora rd. Also keep in mind that both Action Gun & Gunsite have switched to a policy of their ammo only.

Oh, man.

Dealer beat me to it.

Gunsite does a 'tactical practical' or something on Monday nights.
    Can't remember what they call it. I hope to go tonight.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Links