Kahr P series (not PM) experiances?

This is a discussion on Kahr P series (not PM) experiances? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've only had experiences with a Kahr PM9 - let's just say there were some serious issues with that gun hitting over 2 feet from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've only had experiences with a Kahr PM9 - let's just say there were some serious issues with that gun hitting over 2 feet from point of aim and a few other things on it out of the factory (not saying all Kahrs are bad at all here).

The PM series lets the slide ride on the polymer frame, ala Ruger series without any inserts from what I can tell. I've seen plenty of frames being chewed up and having shavings and whatnot all over the place in the PM9 series especially.

From what I can see, the P series has two steel inserts in the rear of the frame, but doesn't have any up front. Shouldn't be a big deal. Anybody here have any experiences on a P series of any caliber with a round count of over 300? I've seen plenty of PM series postings here, but about zero on the P series.

I may/may not have the opportunity to purchase a Kahr P45 at a decent price from somebody who's stubborn and won't listen to anybody out there. I told him after a field strip and pictures of all the parts, and assuming the warranty hasn't been registered yet, I might snag it.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

I have a CW9 which is a less expensive version of the P series. The only problem I have had was light strikes the second time at the range and an occasional failure to feed that same range trip. I took it to a gunsmith who took it apart and thoroughly cleaned the firing pin area and buffed the feed ramp for me. (I bought it used). Since then, there has not been one issue. It is probably the gun I carry most often, especially when I pocket carry.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Administrator
    I've had a P9 and a P9 covert... both were swapped out in favor of a PM. All three have been great. And no, they don't ride solely on plastic rails, look closer!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I have a p40 with about 1200 rounds down range. The slide rides on stainless rails up front, but on the frame polymer in the rear. It has loosened up significantly, though with no loss of accuracy that I can tell. So far so good. Stay away from hydra-shock, the thin jacket will snag on the steep feed ramp. I've had zero malfunctions using FMJ, Winchester silver tip 155, ranger SXT 180, or the brass jacketed I can't remember the name of. Best shooting ammo for me is the ra40t.

I am concerned about the durability of the frame past about 3000 rounds. I'll be there soon and will keep everyone posted.

I have the CW9 which, as stated earlier, is the more affordable version of the P9. The only difference is the rifiling, not as much maching on slide, pinned front sight, MIM slide release and comes with only 1 mag.. All the internal workings are the exact same. I have 625+ rounds through mine of various types of ammo ranging from reloads to +P Gold Dots and have not had a single failure of any kind. It shares carry time with my Glock 19 and is what I'm carrying today. I completely trust mine with my life.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have a p9 and a pm9 Of the two the p9 gets carried more . It is reliable ( not one jam of any kind so far ) and accurate enough for its use ( it has potted several snakes , and a rabbit for the frying pan or two so i really dont worry about it in a defensive situation ) . While i enjoy both my p9 and my pm9 If i were starting over knowing what i do today about both pistols i would buy/make a p9covert and be done with the whole issue lol at a cheaper price .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've had a P9 and a P9 covert... both were swapped out in favor of a PM. All three have been great. And no, they don't ride solely on plastic rails, look closer!

From what I can see, the P series has two steel inserts in the rear of the frame, but doesn't have any up front.
    At least according to google images of the P45

Looking at the rear.

The reason why I'm inquiring about the P series specifically is I might be snagging a P45 from somebody who's too stupid to read the owner's manual and is having all kinds of issues, so I might be able to snag it at a good price.
    ~Mike F.

Look closer at your image lol . The p series has steel inserts on the slide rails where you expect them , and further more if you inspect the dust cover closely ( where the recoil spring rides on the slide ) you will in fact find a set of groves which ride on a second set of steel rails set into the frame . Kahrs are tight and well built . In fact they are the only tupperware that i will currently bet my and my familys life on for that and some other reasons .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

The slide does ride on front steel inserts molded into the frame in the front. It does not ride on the polymer frame. You cannot see them from the posted pics as they are inside of the polymer frame. They are very well made guns.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    P9 here with about 2000 - 3000 concervatively. It's pulled more time as my EDC than anything else. Still tight and just about the most accurate handgun I have with the right ammo. Mine likes Speer Gold Dots and Remmington UMJ JHP.

I can't say enough positive about mine. Never a hiccup, never, ever. Accurate, thin, concealable and the weight is a joy to carry, yet it's still nice to shoot. I did add an "A grip" wrap around grip because I like how it feels.

The only negative, if it's a negative, is that they mags a a bit rough on the fingers for loading and the top round is at an angle and can get out of position unless carried in a decent mag carrier. I wouldn't recommend carrying a mag loose in a pocket or that top round can work loose.

I also have the MK9 and it's even more of a pleasure to shoot due to the increased weight and it's a bit more concealable for IWB due to the slightly shorter grip.

The trigger's on both my Kahr's are awesome! I can't imagine a more perfect DAO trigger.

I highly recommend mine and I think they're one of the very best possible choices for civilian CCW.

gideon only my hkP7 out shoots my kahr p9 , and it only ( imho ) due to a better trigger . My Kahr in fact groups better at 25 yards than my colt 1911 .

Quote Originally Posted by detroit9mm View Post
    The slide does ride on front steel inserts molded into the frame in the front. It does not ride on the polymer frame. You cannot see them from the posted pics as they are inside of the polymer frame. They are very well made guns.

That explains it then, I haven't been able to find a picture that shows the inside of the dust cover

Nice to hear.
    ~Mike F.

Jeep Kahrs from my experiance are not for everyone . I bought my two off the same fella and am working on a p.45 from him . He now despises them and i get a deep discount buying them . I am just having to whack him with a stick once in a while to keep him from trading for my colt gvt. I am a " trader " and it should say something that all the p series kahrs i have ever owned i still own , and am shopping for another lol .

That's the same situation with this one - "it's not working" but he's never read the manual.

Had his buddy run 200 through it and it's running a lot better, and the 'tard is not talking about trimming the feed lips to "improve it's feeding" (has no clue what's going on).

Told him if it's not screwed with and the warranty hasn't been registered, we'll talk.
    ~Mike F.

Told him if it's not screwed with and the warranty hasn't been registered, we'll talk.
    LOL we'll talk is just right . Having never seen the pistol but having owned 5 or 6 kahrs since they came out , and still owning two ill still say not everyone will run one well . Some folk dont run any full power compact well . If you do well jump on it , and if it dont work out offer it for sale say here or via pm to me lol .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links