Shoots Low

Shoots Low

This is a discussion on Shoots Low within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My S&W M&P40c shoots low. How do I bring the shot up to aim point?...

Thread: Shoots Low

Shoots Low

My S&W M&P40c shoots low. How do I bring the shot up to aim point?
    The Big Mick
    Gun control-steady hand, keen eye

IIRC, you either need a shorter front sight or a taller rear sight to raise point of impact. I'm not familiar with the M&P, so don't know what your options for accomplishing this are. You may want to contact S&W and see if they have different height sight blades available. If your pistol has night sights, you need to know who manufactures the sights and contact them about different height sights. A friend of mine was having problems with a H&K USP shooting high so we put the tallest front sight on it that was available. It was still shooting a little high and it turned out that what he was doing was still using the top of the sight post as the aiming point instead of the "dot" on the sight. By using the dot, it tends to cover up the bullseye with the front sight, but point of impact was dead on.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    You can bring up poi with a shorter front sight either by replacing it or fileing it down . However i suggest that you in fact are " over gripping " the gun . This means you are anticipating recoil and gripping the whole hand tighter to compensate . Try this go buy 200 rounds and about 3 snap caps . Take a buddy to the range with you and have him load the gun randomly with live loads and snap caps . 50 rounds will show you if this is your problem , if so you have 150 rounds to learn new habits , if it in fact shoots low you have 150 to sight inn lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lightbulb

Try a heavier wieght bullet.
    U.S. Army Veteran

JD
    Administrator
    Mick, I posted in your welcome thread, but I'll post it again here, which palm swell are you using with the M&P? If your using a smaller swell, you may be able to raise your POA with a lager swell with more material along the bottom of the grip.

Also, have you noticed any difference when shooting with the extended magazine with the pinky rest? If you grip with too much pinky pressure, your shots will go low.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Try a heavier wieght bullet.
    point , however the point of a ccw is to shoot poa/poi with a chosen defensive load . At about 25 yards the differance in loads become apparent ( at least to me ) . If at less range say 15 or maby 7 you shoot low it imho is more likely to be a grip issue than an ammo issue .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Is it possibly the sighting method? According to my xd manual, there are 2 ways. One is to cover the target with the front sight, the other is to have the front sight just under the target. The latter is how the xd was meant to be used. Just a thought, perhaps unlikely, but cheap to check.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mick View Post
    My S&W M&P40c shoots low. How do I bring the shot up to aim point?
    Mick,

Try this. It is the link to a shooting correction wheel.
    See if that gives you any help or ideas.

http://shootingsafely.com/correction.jpg

Looks like a good tool to print and take to the range if there are issues.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

As others have pointed out, you should first determine whether the problem is with the gun or you. I mistakenly made my first post based on what I do with any new gun and should have not made the assumption that you do the same. If you haven't done so already, shoot the pistol from a good solid rest. This will help determine whether it's the pistol shooting low or whether the fault is yours.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I would suggest you have somebody that shoots well,shoot the weapon to see if it is truly the weapon shooting low or something else.If i'm sighting in a firearm pistol or rifle I usually shoot from a rest either sandbag or beanbag it's a more stable platform
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Like others have said, use a rest to see if it is for sure the gun and not you.

And thanks for posting a link to that chart, Miklcolt45.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sponsored Links