Direct chambering with Bersa T380?

This is a discussion on Direct chambering with Bersa T380? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any Bersa T380 owners have experience with direct chambering a round? Just want to see if it's safe to do with this gun. I'd hate ...

Thread: Direct chambering with Bersa T380?

Direct chambering with Bersa T380?

Any Bersa T380 owners have experience with direct chambering a round? Just want to see if it's safe to do with this gun. I'd hate to have to trash a carry round every time I want to clean it or check it for lint.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

2. Remove Ads

Well, first thing I tried was looking at Bersatalk, and lo and behold there's a post by "Cakewalk" addressing this. To supplement what you said, there's another post from last month over there where Royce indicates that although direct loading should be OK, chambering a round from the mag and then topping off is a better habit.

:: Bersa Talk :: - Direct chamber loading
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

I direct loaded my Bersa a couple of times with no problem, but rather, and would suggest, loading from a mag

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Oh, Tangle? where are you, Tangle?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...pdate-3-a.html

Easiest thing to do is call Bersa service and ask if they advise against direct chambering. (Bersa is, alas, not mentioned in Tangle's fairly comprehensive look at the issue.)
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I would rather load from the mag as well, but I'm thinking about bullet setback, and like I said, I'd hate to have to toss a round every time I want to clean the gun. Assuming I practice with my carry gun at least once every 2-3 weeks, If I clean/oil my carry gun once a week, that's 3-4 rounds a month I have to discard if I don't re-chamber the round. Sometimes I wish I got a revolver.

VIP Member
    Easy way to solve the problem is make a go/no go gauge out of a piece of cardboard. check the round you remove from the chamber. If it is still in tolerance go ahead and load it again. If it has set back on you ditch it. With most quality ammo you shouldn't have a problem.

Well, I called Colorado Gunworks, who is a Bersa service center, and basically they guy told me that I should not have a problem chambering any factory round, whether it be direct chambering or from the magazine. He did stress it being a factory loaded round. He then said that if I did notice bullet setback, with factory rounds, it's an issue with the gun. He also explained why fixed internal extractors, like on 1911 guns, will cause bullet setback. It now makes a little more sense to me. (I'm still learning)

Cakewalk, you need to read some of Tangle's threads on setback and direct chambering. He has done a lot of research on this. As for whether you should do it, a number of manufacturers have no problems recommending direct chambering, and the one or two that did had specific reasons for it. That's why I suggested contacting Bersa directly.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Cakewalk, you need to read some of Tangle's threads on setback and direct chambering. He has done a lot of research on this. As for whether you should do it, a number of manufacturers have no problems recommending direct chambering, and the one or two that did had specific reasons for it. That's why I suggested contacting Bersa directly.
    I did read Tangle's threads over the weekend, all three of them. That's what got me so interested in this. I did take your suggestion and called a Bersa warranty repair center on my way home from work, so I guess that's about as straight from the horse's mouth as I can get. Thanks for your suggestion kazzaerexys.

Glad it helped. Since I saw Tangle's thumbs-up from SIG, that's how I load my P220 to capacity. The warranty center was a good idea; as long as they don't tell you it'll void the warranty, I think that's all the answer you need!

And, of course, any non-factory round will void the warranty anyway, so you hcan chamber those hand loads any way you like!

Links