Kel-Tec P-3AT vs. Beretta .32 Tomcat vs. Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec P-3AT vs. Beretta .32 Tomcat vs. Ruger LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi again, I am thinking about buying a new pistol for CCW summer time use-- I have been searching the net for info. on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec P-3AT vs. Beretta .32 Tomcat vs. Ruger LCP

Kel-Tec P-3AT vs. Beretta .32 Tomcat vs. Ruger LCP

Hi again,
    I am thinking about buying a new pistol for CCW summer time use-- I have been searching the net for info. on the above guns and would like anyone’s thoughts about them

Kel-Tec - I have read they are not that accurate and that some of them have problmes jamming up-- I don't want to send it back or get in "fluffed &buffed"-- I do like that the .380 is a stronger round

Beretta .32 - I have a Beretta .22 Bobcat and love it-- Is the accuracy of the .32 as good as the .22-- I have read that the slides in some of the .32s crack over time with hotter rounds--

Ruger LCP - Looks like it will be a good gun but not much info. out on them yet-

I am willing to wait for the Ruger and the price to me is not that bid of a deal-- Bottom line is a want a smaller pistol than my Glock 19 yet something bigger than my .22 to carry for CCW-- Whatever I get I want it to be reliable and go bang every time when I pull the trigger--

Any thoughts comments will be appreciated--

K. Paul
    Semper Fi
    K.Paul
    Semper Fi

2. Remove Ads

bae
    I now have 600+ rounds through the LCP I reviewed in this thread, and I am still very happy with it. I will likely buy a couple more to keep as spares.

LCP Impressions

I own both the Tomcat and the LCP. Have messed around with the KT. For carrying I would reccomend the LCP hands down. Very pleased with fit and finish. After shooting for a few hours was holding offhand groups of about 12 inches at 35 yards. The Tomcat is slightly more accurate. Groups more like 8-10 inches. But these guns are not designed for target shooting. The big difference to me that would drive me to the LCP is the thickness of the gun. Unless you are rather large the Tomcat is really thick for pocket carry. It is also substantially heavier.

Just one opinion, there are plenty more in these parts...
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

I vote P3AT, I've got 1100+ rnds through one of mine. Not 1 failure when I shoot it, Just needs to be clean and properly lubed.

Good Luck in your choice.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have a Tomcat and an LCP, and I agree that the LCP is a better choice for carry. The Tomcat is the same length and height , but is conciderably thicker and heavier and shoots a less effective round.
    My son has the Kel-Tec, and has had no trouble with it.

P 3 AT or the LCP would be my choice. I have the P # AT, good gun for it's intended purpose, CONCEALED CARRY. It is not something you'd take to the range to plink or spend a lot of time shooting for fun, neither is it's near clone the LCP. I've had ZERO troubles with either of my Keltec. I like ALL my Ruger pistols( got over a dozen of various kinds ) and will pick up a LCP ,just to have one, when I run across one.

I have owned both the Kel Tec P3AT and the Beretta Tomcat, and I can honestly say without a doubt that the P3AT is much slimmer and the easiest to conceal of the two pistols.
    God bless our troops!

The Beretta is way too thick. My P3AT is with me all the time.

Both

My everyday BUG is a Kel Tec .32, my wife carries a Tomcat a lot. The KT is obviously smaller and mine has been fine reliabilty-wise, but every .380 I have seen has had "smiley" problems and has benefited from some work. Don't know if the LCP is the same, haven't seen inside one yet. As for her Tomcat, we shoot it a lot with FMJ and occasionally with Cor Bon and have had no mechanical problems or failures. The front night sight died right after she bought it and it was replaced by Beretta within 2 weeks and has worked right ever since.

I carry the KT P-3ATeveryday to work, granted, it had a break-in period of 200rds, but since then I've had no hiccups...or "smileys". It's a great conceal carry gun. I mix Federal Hydrashock HP and American Eagle FMJ in the two mags I carry, no FTF or FTE.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Quote Originally Posted by kpaul View Post
    Kel-Tec - I have read they are not that accurate and that some of them have problmes jamming up-- I don't want to send it back or get in "fluffed &buffed"-- I do like that the .380 is a stronger round
    Not hacking on you, but doing a "Fluff and Buff" took me all of about 2 hours taking my time, including the time to look it up and print it out. It also helped familiarize me with the pistol (along with a few excellent youtube vids on field stripping it). If you plan on carrying it every day, you want it to be dependable, and this procedure effectively abbreviates the break in period. So, you can either fluffnbuff or you can go buy around 250-300 rounds. I found it to be a learning experience, and not so bad. Definitely found some rough areas that needed TLC.

Good luck with your decision, but it appears that I'm voting with the clear majority-get the P3AT!!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Ruger LCP, hands down the better gun; I've had two P3AT's with several thousand rounds between them. 1st one was a nightmare pure and simple. Keltec kept fixing it, it kept breaking; the 2nd P3AT (a 2nd generation model) has been flawless. The Ruger LCP is really like a 3rd generation P3AT with a number of improvements. Mine has been very reliable. The Berretta's look fantastic but to me they're like a brick and no where near as comfortable as the LCP for pocket carry.

I've had all three at one time or the other.The tomcat to me has more kick and its really to heavy to carry in a pocket.The p3at had no problems either.I just got a lcp today and fired off 120 rounds with no problems.Between the keltec and the ruger,the ruger is nicer looking and I didn't have to fluff and buff it.I like it better than the p3at.none of them are a target gun,they are made strictly for close up self defense and not for pleasure in shooting.sj

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Ruger LCP, hands down the better gun; I've had two P3AT's with several thousand rounds between them. 1st one was a nightmare pure and simple. Keltec kept fixing it, it kept breaking; the 2nd P3AT (a 2nd generation model) has been flawless. The Ruger LCP is really like a 3rd generation P3AT with a number of improvements. Mine has been very reliable. The Berretta's look fantastic but to me they're like a brick and no where near as comfortable as the LCP for pocket carry.
    If you look at all the LCP posts here, you'll find some of the same problems the AT has.

Still pimping Kel-Tec
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Seecamp! .32 or .380, your choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links