G36 Impressions?

This is a discussion on G36 Impressions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im in the market for a very easily concealable BUG. I already have a full size 1911 and M&P 40c for primary carry, and in ...

Thread: G36 Impressions?

G36 Impressions?

Im in the market for a very easily concealable BUG. I already have a full size 1911 and M&P 40c for primary carry, and in my searching for the right pistol I find myself coming back to the Glock 36.

Does anyone have one and if so what are your impressions? This would again be a backup possibly in an ankle holster. I would also be open to suggestions of other reliable pistols that might fit the bill.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Originally the Glock 36 took a real verbal beating on the Internet.
    It quickly became the Glock that the Glock lovers loved to hate.
    The much bashed bastage Son of the Glock line.
    It seemed to be the only Glock that had function related problems.
    Some of the original "beating" seemed to be due to a bit too much front to back "play" of the inserted magazine in the mag well.

That problem became somewhat over exaggerated - as things tend to do on Internet gun forums in general.

My best guess is that any and all possible early inherent problems with the G36 are well in the past now.

So.....buy a newly produced one.

The Glock 36 needs a firm grip.
    It has always needed a firm grip so just grip it a bit tighter than you normally would grip a larger semi-automatic.
    It does not like a limp wrist.

Mine has been flawless and always goes bang.
    It's a very easy "piece of cake" firearm to conceal.
    The capacity is not great but, it's a fantastic little specialized large bore little carry package.
    It has a stubby grip so it's not the greatest "shoot me all day at the range target pistol" - it was never designed to be that.

I have no regrets regarding buying one and I have much confidence in the way mine performs.

I should add that when it comes to aftermarket accessories and holsters the G36 seems to be often ignored but, stuff IS available if you're willing to take the time to look.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I love my Kimbers...especially my Ultra. I didn't like Glocks...they looked and felt like bricks in my hand...then I made the mistake of picking up a G-36.

My heart went 'thump-thump'...it fit my hand and it felt really good.
    I set it down, but it began calling my name...I couldnt' just leave it there in that lonely case...I knew it needed a home.

I first had some Trij's put on it before brought it home.
    I had known 4-5 individuals who had one...although I had read of some problems, no one I knew had had any at all. My G-36 has never given me any problems either.

Now my Ultra is my EDC, except on my Harley. When riding, I tuck the G-36 at 5:30 (IWB) and off we go. It shoots well, conceals as easily as my Ultra, and I love the gun.

I'd say you need to go get that G-36 and give it a good home.

Stay armed...become a 'G' man...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

QKShooter pretty much nailed it. Don't believe all the hype you hear on the internet - the G36 is a fantastic gun.

I'm not sure about carrying in an ankle rig; it's a little big for that, IMO. I'd recommend a good IWB holster instead - the High Noon Public Secret works well for me.

The G36 uses octagonal rifling in the barrel, so you should use only copper jacketed rounds unless you're fond of spending hours cleaning the barrel after each trip to the range. Like all Glocks, the G36 doesn't care what rounds you put through it - it'll eat anything.

Good luck on your decision!

1000 rounds thru mine with no problems.

I don't really know why I've never had a G36. My previous G30 didn't work well for me, and if I'd have had the G36 instead, I might still have it today.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    We have one and rent it out. Constant feeding problems. Like one of the previous people said its the GLOCK Lovers GLOCK they hate. That is very true. I would try the new G30 SF.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I picked up a G36 on a whim a few weeks ago. After the purchase, I thought why did I just do that? Then I took it out to the range, and was suprised by how well it shoots. So far, I've got about 400 rds through mine. Not a single problem. It has been my main carry gun since then. Very easily concealable which makes for a great summer gun. The only potential downside is the capacity. But then they always make extra mags. I've have been very pleased with mine. BTW, I previously owned a Kahr P45 and much prefer the G36.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Thanks for all the replies, it sounds like i will be adopting a new gun!

I NEVER had an issue with mine feeding or otherwise.

I own a Colt combat commander 45 and love it and do not mind its recoil. But my gunsmith advised me that the little G36 had a most unfriendly recoil, and as such he was unable to get a good double tap group within 3 seconds.

So I purchased the G26 9mm, with pinky extension.

Let us know who you do at the range with it. I am still interested.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I own a Colt combat commander 45 and love it and do not mind its recoil. But my gunsmith advised me that the little G36 had a most unfriendly recoil, and as such he was unable to get a good double tap group within 3 seconds.

So I purchased the G26 9mm, with pinky extension.

Let us know who you do at the range with it. I am still interested.
    Will do...Should be picking one up next monday soon as the stimulus check comes in.

matt

+1 on the Glock 36 for me. Love mine and have had no issues with it. I call it "the baby" to my Glock 21. :-)

Links