Decisions - Page 2

Decisions

This is a discussion on Decisions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, I have seen the "Kahr is only good for X number of rounds" on internet forums before, but I have yet to see ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decisions

First off, I have seen the "Kahr is only good for X number of rounds" on internet forums before, but I have yet to see any documentation to support that statement. I have a PM9, bought new, and nowhere in the manual that came with it or on the Kahr website is there any mention of a round life. I only have about 1,000 trouble free rounds through mine, but I see zero signs of wear on anything. That is mostly mid-range target loads, but a fair amount of full power and +P loads too.

The PM9 is great for concealed carry, but since you live in MD, where permits are very difficult to get, I don't see the point in getting a gun that small. A larger 9MM will be easier to shoot well and most will have higher capacity.

I also must echo some of the other comments about shotguns. Nothing is better for home defense. Less penetration through walls than a 9MM, yet more stopping power.

Whatever you get I also highly recomend lots of practice. Any gun is useless for protection unless you practice enough to be comfortable with it and confident that, in a stressful situation, you can use it effectively.

Ron

The main reason for a small, 'pocketable' handgun as opposed to something bigger and heavier: the Colt Python.

That is and will available for in-home use. Yes I definitely plan on keeping it and keeping it in the current condition - For sentimental reasons (my Dad) if nothing else. But in-home defense is looming larger every day.

That said, the big, heavy hand gun with all the stopping power necessary is there thanks to my Dad and his crystal ball. I sure didn't know in 1983 that I would ever consider needing a home defense hand gun. Also, that hand gun is by far too big to carry unless I use my Army pistol belt and braces - literally. I kept them to haul around the Mauser bayonet I picked up in 1955 for $4 in a NJ surplus store.

So in my thinking, the big, heavy in-home hand gun is covered. Even though Concealed carry permits are not realistic in MD, we are not prisoners in this home and have thought of moving quite a few times in the past few years. Nothing really forcing the issue yet and selling a home right now is not realistic either. So when we do move a concealed carry state is very likely - either PA or ID or OR (I believe OR has concealed carry permits). With that in mind, I want to prepare as much as possible for the future and not have to buy and train on one hand gun now, only to sell and redo the process again. I know the training will largely carry over, but why do that if I can cover it now.

Why a pocket carry? Well I have looked at holsters on the internet until I'm crosseye'd and all except the pocket carry require a belt (shoulder holsters are not in my future). There is just no way I can see clipping 15 to 18 oz on my waist band and not have my pants on the floor. That Mauser bayonet is about the same weight and without the pistol belt, my pants end up around my ankles just walking across the room. So, I do not use a belt. Haven't for more than 15 years and every time I try one now, it is just plain a pain in the ... waist. When I need something to keep my pants up, I use suspenders/braces. So holsters that clip onto the waist band/belt just are useless for me. From my research that leaves pocket holsters and small, light hand guns. Unless I have missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by hayley View Post
    "So, I have been looking to acquire something smaller and more useful for self and family defense.

So far I seem to have narrowed it down to either a Kel-Tec PF-9 or a Kahr PM-9."

Geezer: those pistols are generally acquired for carry--light-weight carry. I have a PF-9, for example, for a work environment where I absolutely cannot print. It's also a real pain to shoot. Get what you want, but you may want to browse again some of the really great products on the market, especially for home defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    Is there any particular reason you feel that you need a pocket pistol? The PM9 is a really small little guy. Unless you plan on carrying it around in your pocket, I don't see the point. I carry a P40 every day, which is the same as a PM9 except its .5" longer barrel, and it's a .40 cal with a grip that you can put your pinky on.

I'm 5'9" and only 135 pounds. My P40 goes unnoticed wearing T-shirt and shorts in an MTAC IWB holster. Sure, the PM version would be even MORE invisible, but it would be harder to shoot by far.

My recommendation is to consider the P9. The slightly larger but much easier to shoot version of the PM9. Get it with night sights. Extremely accurate, easy/fast to shoot, super reliable, easily concealed.

I see no purpose given your current reality in purchasing such a small handgun.
    Quote Originally Posted by deadhawg View Post
    First off, I have seen the "Kahr is only good for X number of rounds" on internet forums before, but I have yet to see any documentation to support that statement. I have a PM9, bought new, and nowhere in the manual that came with it or on the Kahr website is there any mention of a round life. I only have about 1,000 trouble free rounds through mine, but I see zero signs of wear on anything. That is mostly mid-range target loads, but a fair amount of full power and +P loads too.

The PM9 is great for concealed carry, but since you live in MD, where permits are very difficult to get, I don't see the point in getting a gun that small. A larger 9MM will be easier to shoot well and most will have higher capacity.

I also must echo some of the other comments about shotguns. Nothing is better for home defense. Less penetration through walls than a 9MM, yet more stopping power.

Whatever you get I also highly recomend lots of practice. Any gun is useless for protection unless you practice enough to be comfortable with it and confident that, in a stressful situation, you can use it effectively.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
    The main reason for a small, 'pocketable' handgun as opposed to something bigger and heavier: the Colt Python.

That is and will available for in-home use. Yes I definitely plan on keeping it and keeping it in the current condition - For sentimental reasons (my Dad) if nothing else. But in-home defense is looming larger every day.

That said, the big, heavy hand gun with all the stopping power necessary is there thanks to my Dad and his crystal ball. I sure didn't know in 1983 that I would ever consider needing a home defense hand gun. Also, that hand gun is by far too big to carry unless I use my Army pistol belt and braces - literally. I kept them to haul around the Mauser bayonet I picked up in 1955 for $4 in a NJ surplus store.

So in my thinking, the big, heavy in-home hand gun is covered. Even though Concealed carry permits are not realistic in MD, we are not prisoners in this home and have thought of moving quite a few times in the past few years. Nothing really forcing the issue yet and selling a home right now is not realistic either. So when we do move a concealed carry state is very likely - either PA or ID or OR (I believe OR has concealed carry permits). With that in mind, I want to prepare as much as possible for the future and not have to buy and train on one hand gun now, only to sell and redo the process again. I know the training will largely carry over, but why do that if I can cover it now.

Why a pocket carry? Well I have looked at holsters on the internet until I'm crosseye'd and all except the pocket carry require a belt (shoulder holsters are not in my future). There is just no way I can see clipping 15 to 18 oz on my waist band and not have my pants on the floor. That Mauser bayonet is about the same weight and without the pistol belt, my pants end up around my ankles just walking across the room. So, I do not use a belt. Haven't for more than 15 years and every time I try one now, it is just plain a pain in the ... waist. When I need something to keep my pants up, I use suspenders/braces. So holsters that clip onto the waist band/belt just are useless for me. From my research that leaves pocket holsters and small, light hand guns. Unless I have missed something.
    18 ounces in your pocket will drag your pants down the same as 18 ounces clipped to your waistline, if you don't wear a belt or suspenders. If you are wearing suspenders, then the weight in your pocket should be less of a concern. I'd go with the PM9. Too many reports of broken parts in the Kel-Tec guns. It appears that some MIM parts are breaking in the new Ruger LCP's, too, from an earlier post.

A lightweight revolver would also be a good option, as you could buy .38 ammo to practice with in both your Python and carry gun. Think S&W J frame or Taurus Ultra-Lite. They are about 15-18 ounces.

Good luck!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I'm sure the Kahr would be a fine choice but I have had no problems w/either of my PF9s(around 2500 rds total). The 6 mags above were shot fast. These little autos do take some getting used to & since you have a DA revolver, have you considered a light 38/357 subnose?

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    18 ounces in your pocket will drag your pants down the same as 18 ounces clipped to your waistline, if you don't wear a belt or suspenders. If you are wearing suspenders, then the weight in your pocket should be less of a concern. I'd go with the PM9. Too many reports of broken parts in the Kel-Tec guns. It appears that some MIM parts are breaking in the new Ruger LCP's, too, from an earlier post.

A lightweight revolver would also be a good option, as you could buy .38 ammo to practice with in both your Python and carry gun. Think S&W J frame or Taurus Ultra-Lite. They are about 15-18 ounces.

Good luck!
    Very good point. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links