Ruger LCP - reports of broken trigger mechanism - Warning to LCP owners!

Ruger LCP - reports of broken trigger mechanism - Warning to LCP owners!

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP - reports of broken trigger mechanism - Warning to LCP owners! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Basically when you pull the trigger, it doesn't go bang... bad for a CCW gun. LCP trigger not working after 37th round - AR15.COM :: ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP - reports of broken trigger mechanism - Warning to LCP owners!

Exclamation Ruger LCP - reports of broken trigger mechanism - Warning to LCP owners!

Basically when you pull the trigger, it doesn't go bang... bad for a CCW gun.

LCP trigger not working after 37th round - AR15.COM :: Forums :: LCP Ruger broken after 37th round at the range!!!!!!

Another one not working after 177th round - http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ruger-lcp.html

Another one not working after 240th round - RugerForum.com :: View topic - LCP broken trigger pivot

Another one quit working after 250th round -
    KTOG Forum - Ruger LCP Trigger Bar Failure:

Pic by magoo from rugerforum.com

Is this part something that is eventually going to break or do you think these people had defective parts? Also, does dry firing put the same pressure on this part as live firing? I've dry fired about 2,000 times with a snap cap and it still works so far... but only fired about 400 live rounds.

If you have a Ruger LCP, I would try to fire at least 500 rounds before carrying it.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Impossible!
    ------------
    FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions

Q.
    What is the life expectancy of my Ruger firearm?
    A.
    Ruger firearms have a very good reputation for service life. With proper handling and care, you should receive many years of service from our products. However, any firearm may be irreparably damaged in short order by abuse or neglect, so it is impossible to state the life expectancy of any Ruger firearm.
    ------------------------------

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Pics look like a bad part to me. Definitely wring these little guns out well before carrying. I've had two KelTecs fail within 100-rds. One a spring, one a barrel lug.

The part that is broken on the picture is the part circled in blue on the above diagram.

Administrator
    Looks like a MIM part to me.
    Even an investment cast part would not snap off like that.
    It's part of the transfer system but, it's not under That Much stress.
    I'm calling it a defective Metal Injected Molded part.
    Why does that not surprise me?
    Oh....when will they ever learn?

There is a line that gun makers should never cross in attempting to cut production costs.
    That would be the use of MIM baked slurry metal for critical gun parts.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Looks like a MIM part to me.
    Even an investment cast part would not snap off like that.
    It's part of the transfer system but, it's not under That Much stress.
    I'm calling it a defective Metal Injected Molded part.

Have to admit, that was my first thought too.

Just a reminder......Kahr is due out with their little .380 shortly. I know it's gonna be a little more pricey, but I can't wait to see it nonetheless. Sometimes, as this might demonstrate, you do get what you pay for.

Administrator
    I have a call in to Ruger Technical Support.
    A tech person that handles LCP is supposed to call me back.
    I'm going to ask some questions.
    Hopefully I won't miss the call-back 'cause I'll be in & out of the house all day today.

No call back from Ruger today. Just FYI
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

WOW!! I did not realize that Ruger copied the P3AT down to the infamous part #115. Are any of the parts interchangable? It appears that the problems are.

I've carried Rugers professionally since 1966. I am severely disappointed in hearing about the LCP, as it raises questions about the other weapons Ruger manufactures and that I have - soon to read "had."

I'm also quite astonished that quite a number of members are talking about breaking in a handgun by firing 300-500 rounds to make sure that they fire and that they work. The weapon could then fail at 301 or 501 rounds. A handgun to me is survival. Never had any of my weapons fail me in the past 60 years, now all of a sudden in the "modern age," you can't rely on anything to work - even people.

I've lived many many years in adverse situations with a 12 gauge and .45 auto and/or a .357 revolver. I pulled the trigger, it worked. No failures ever! Now I find out that this is history...nothing really can be relied upon - and I sold my weapons to get new, more modern ones.

I'm reconsidering going back to a wheelgun, selling what I have. Maybe I should just carry a baseball bat. If I can't trust a weapon, why would I risk carrying it? Am I the only one who's angry about what's going on with the manufacturers? Any really angry letters being sent to Ruger and to the "gun magazines" that promote weapons like this?

Maybe I'm just having a bad day and am aggravated over what used to be called "made in the U.S.," and you could take that to the bank as well-made by American craftsman and well-constructed, reliable, last you for a lifetime like the old Craftsman tools.

Anyhow, no LCP for me...and I'm going to scout around at the next gun show down here and sell what I have, get back into a wheelgun and a collapsable baseball bat as backup...but then the bat may break, even if it's a Louisville slugger <grin> I know, I'm dating myself.
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joelg View Post
    I've carried Rugers professionally since 1966. I am severely disappointed in hearing about the LCP, as it raises questions about the other weapons Ruger manufactures and that I have - soon to read "had."

I'm also quite astonished that quite a number of members are talking about breaking in a handgun by firing 300-500 rounds to make sure that they fire and that they work. The weapon could then fail at 301 or 501 rounds. A handgun to me is survival. Never had any of my weapons fail me in the past 60 years, now all of a sudden in the "modern age," you can't rely on anything to work - even people.

I've lived many many years in adverse situations with a 12 gauge and .45 auto and/or a .357 revolver. I pulled the trigger, it worked. No failures ever! Now I find out that this is history...nothing really can be relied upon - and I sold my weapons to get new, more modern ones.

I'm reconsidering going back to a wheelgun, selling what I have. Maybe I should just carry a baseball bat. If I can't trust a weapon, why would I risk carrying it? Am I the only one who's angry about what's going on with the manufacturers? Any really angry letters being sent to Ruger and to the "gun magazines" that promote weapons like this?

Maybe I'm just having a bad day and am aggravated over what used to be called "made in the U.S.," and you could take that to the bank as well-made by American craftsman and well-constructed, reliable, last you for a lifetime like the old Craftsman tools.

Anyhow, no LCP for me...and I'm going to scout around at the next gun show down here and sell what I have, get back into a wheelgun and a collapsable baseball bat as backup...but then the bat may break, even if it's a Louisville slugger <grin> I know, I'm dating myself.
    Wow. Quite the life-changing event this thread has been for you.

Quote Originally Posted by joelg View Post

Nothing wrong with the older Ruger designs. As with any new designs, I'd stay away until they've proven their mettle on the street. The SR9 recall and the early report of LCP problems don't exactly inspire confidence in their new products.

I don't know why some of these companies tend to be penny wise, but pound foolish. How much more would an LCP cost if they didn't use MIM parts? Wouldn't everybody be willing to pay $100 more for an LCP sized gun with proven durability of good quality steel? I know I would. Ruger has enjoyed a reputation for reliable firearms. Is putting out a cheap Kel-Tec copy worth their reputation?

As for Ruger, I'll stick with the proven dependability of their revolvers, rifles, and the good old P series pistols. Got a new P95DC on order, as a matter of fact. No mag disconnect. No ugly loaded chamber warts sticking out from the frame. No key lock. Just a good, solid, reliable DA/SA 9mm pistol.

Wheelguns certainly are reliable, but if you pick a quality autoloader, you likely won't have any problems. The old saying "You get what you pay for" usually applies.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

joelg; Don't let the Internet experts get to you. Every now and then you see a post about "Would you trust this gun with your life?" because it had one failure in the first 300 rounds. By the time the thread is through it has been decided that it is better to walk around unarmed than to carry a gun that has had one FTF in 300 rounds. Never mind that it is possible to fail on round 301.

Then we have the argument about plastic and MIM but best of all is the caliber and brand wars. Take a deep breath and quit putting too much faith in all the Internet experts. You have more experience than the vast majority on here.

Side note: In the last 100 years there have been vast improvements and changes in almost every aspect of our lives from medicine to transportation to communications to construction. During all that time that one thing that has barely changed or shown great improvement is guns. The primary design still in use is from before 1911 and the other major design (revolver) is much older than that.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Here's the POINT........

Ruger took a DIRT CHEAP Plastic and Stamped pistol - COPIED IT -
    and put their NAME ON IT.

Then a bunch of WRITERS told the world it gave them TINGLY FEELINGS
    when they shot it.

And a Lot of you guys SWALLOWED THE HOOK.......................
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I don't have a LCP , BUT I do have MANY Ruger revolvers of all shapes and sizes and I NOT getting RID of ANY of them. EVERY ONE has always worked from day one and they still do. I lost count of how many rounds I got through my Vaqueros, never a problem.

If there is a problem, I'm quite certain Ruger will FIX it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Here's the POINT........

Ruger took a DIRT CHEAP Plastic and Stamped pistol - COPIED IT -
    and put their NAME ON IT.

Then a bunch of WRITERS told the world it gave them TINGLY FEELINGS
    when they shot it.

And a Lot of you guys SWALLOWED THE HOOK.......................
    You forgot LINE AND SINKER.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links