Kahr MK9 or PM9

This is a discussion on Kahr MK9 or PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, can I have your opinion? I bought a CW40 last week from a friend and I love it! Now I want another version. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr MK9 or PM9

Kahr MK9 or PM9

Hey guys, can I have your opinion? I bought a CW40 last week from a friend and I love it! Now I want another version. (I know, Im crazy). I would like to have a small 9mm. These 2 are the same size just the MK9 is all steel. I guess the PM9 is more practical being only 14oz, but Im just smitten over the steel MK9. Do any of you guys have a strong opinion one way or another? Thanks for your time. Kevin.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

2. Remove Ads

I have an MK9 and love it. I chose it over the PM because I'd read of more problems with the PM. MK is too heavy for my pockets, though. With a Crossbreed Supertuck, it's my EDC and is both comfortable and comforting.

I compared these also, and found MK9 was a brick for pocket carry. It is very solid, and well made, but it is heavy compared to its 'tupper' brother. I now own a PM9 and love it, no problems since the break in period.
    Wait a few months and pickup the p380. Should be the smallest micro 380 around.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

ree
    The MK9 is not too heavy for pocket carry. If you have a sufficient belt for OWB or even IWB carry of anything 16oz and up, then pocketing the MK should be easy. I used to have a PM9, but now have an MK9. I really don't find the extra weight to be an issue. But I do have a quality gun belt.

Hey, if you like the steel... get the steel. I have the poly but if I had it to do over, I would get the steel. The extra weight would not be noticed IWB.

MK9

I looked at both guns and decided on the MK9. The factors that influenced me were comments that I read on gun chat boards by owners of both types - there was a definite feeling that the MK9 was more likely to be trouble free in operation than the polymer version. I also liked the recoil control of the heavier MK9 and the solid feeling of an all steel gun. Since I carry it IWB on my belt, the weight was not a problem in carry.

I also think the MK9 is a good looking gun, especially if you buy the optional wood grips from Kahr and the all steel guide rod.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Thanks for the replies so far guys!! I dont think pocket carry will be an option I will explore. When I carry that way, I use one of my Colt Mustangs in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster. I would probably carry this one like my other EDC's, in a bellyband/smart carry, or OWB. And yes Pogo, I do love the look of the MK9 being all steel. Thats the reason Im so goo-goo over it. I think it makes me think of my Colt Pocket nine, and that makes me smile.

So, in conclusion, is there the general consensus that the MK9 is more reliable than the PM9? If so, Ill probably lean that way. Im just so new to Kahr's that Im really interested in the first hand experience of others. I have a CW40 and its been great, but never shot one of the micro 9's. Thanks so much. Kevin.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

I wouldn't say the MK9 is more reliable than the PM9. With the early models of the PM9, there were issues (like barrel peening) that occurred. However, the recent models (serial nos. VDxxxx and IAxxxx) show none of the earlier issues and in my experience, and what I've read on the board, have operated flawlessly.

I chose a PM9 (VDxxxx) and couldn't be happier. And except for the Rohrbaugh, the PM9 is the smallest 9mm around. The fact that I could have a 9mm vs. a .380 in the same size or smaller and less weight (compared to a PPK/S) was also part of the decision for me.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have a p9 and a pm9 and like them . For me the light weight is one of the main advantages to the p/pm/cw series. Weight does not bother some folks, they cite a good belt/holster , ect.. and are right to a degree. However with my back issues there is a noticeable difference in how i feel at the end of the day depending on how much and just how i distribute the weight on my belt.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

My MK9 is with me 85% of the time. No its not a pocket pistol but itwb or otwb carry and its worth the extra wieght.I've had mine for four yrs with no issues,love it.I picked up a PM9 for time when I wearing a suit or fancy atire.

I personally like all steel guns. Here is my MK9BOX again. It is a little heavy for pocket carry, but handles 9mm surprisingly well.

What are the price differences between the PM and MK?

I read an article this past weekend at the beach that said there was 43.00 difference between the 2. I guess I need to check their website to be sure though.

^ At Buds Gunshop, the PM9 is priced at $589 and the MK9 at $651.

I really like using the Pearce extensions like what MajorDude has pictured.

Well, thanks for the input everyone. I had my LGS order a MK9 today for me. It will be here tomorrow. He had a heck of a time finding one in stock. I cant wait!! Thanks for all the help. Kevin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links