Why the lack of safetys on sub-compacts - Page 2

Why the lack of safetys on sub-compacts

This is a discussion on Why the lack of safetys on sub-compacts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; DAO all the way for me. No safety but the one in my head. Trigger covered in holster though. Lots of gun handling experience. Still ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why the lack of safetys on sub-compacts

DAO all the way for me. No safety but the one in my head. Trigger covered in holster though. Lots of gun handling experience. Still want a safety for the wife. She is getting more familiar all the time but we chose the Tomcat for her because of the safety, the ability to load without the typical slide motion and she liked the feel.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

VIP Member
    CZ RAMI's have manual safetys on them. I personally don't see a need for a manual safety unless you are carrying cocked and locked.

Like my MPc, i've trained alot with it. So now i prefer guns without thumb safeties.

My XD sub compact carry pistol has two built-in safties - one on the grip, and one on the trigger. If I ever need it, I don't want to have to remember to disengage a manual safety.

Besides, as the Delta Operator in the movie "Blackhawk Down" said to the Ranger captain while in the chow line, when he was asked about his rifle's safety, as the Operator held up his trigger-finger, "My safety's right here.".
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

It is more of a mindset deal than anything else. I prefer a SA trigger with a safety (I know 20 lashes with a wet noodle) but carry a DA with no safety. A SA with no safety is crazy no matter what kind of training you have. People can come up with any kind of scenario they want so they can justify their preferences. The only one that matters is yours and don't worry about it. I like the grip safety of the 1911, XD or my FN 1910 if you don't then the heck with you. :) Main thing is learn how to use what ever you have. One reason that the P3AT doesn't have a safety or lock is to reduce size and weight but probably the main reason is cost.

Any drop safe gun requires no safety IMHO.

The only one needed is keep the finger off the trigger and the gun in a trigger covered holster.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links