Looking into my 1st 1911 style pistol

This is a discussion on Looking into my 1st 1911 style pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since you'll end up owning a cabinet full of them before it's all said and done, you might as well start out with the real ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking into my 1st 1911 style pistol

Since you'll end up owning a cabinet full of them before it's all said and done, you might as well start out with the real thing and get a Colt. Then later, you can diversify into the copies.

Don't make the mistake I made, by starting out with copies and always having that monkey on my back that, while I have a couple of nice 1911s, I still don't have a Colt and I really really Need to buy one some day.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

2. Remove Ads

I personally haven't had good luck with Kimbers, but know some guys who love them. I've seen Taurus and Springers run well for for guys, I have Colts and Sistemas, and like those.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Let's see, 2 RIA, 1 Kimber CDP, a Para LTC, a Para WartHawg, a Para P-14-40, yeah I can recommend getting a 1911.

I have a RIA that has been outstanding.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

sar
    I have owned 3 kimbers. I have a grand raptorII that's full sized and flawless. I had an eclipse pro that spit brass in my face and required several trips to the factory. I've also had an ultra raptor that required 3 trips to Kimber and i finally sold after they fixed it. (wanted a revolver and was kinda pissed at kimber) Several folks I've known who've bought kimbers recently (last year or two) seem to have more issues than those who have older kimbers. Also, Kimber's service can be rude and arrogant at times. I'd be hard pressed to buy another one, even though good ones are fantastic guns.

If I were to look at smaller 1911s, I'd look hard at STI. I'd also look at some of springfield's offerings.

A good friend has a colt defender and loves it. I've shot it and found it to be a very nice gun.

If you ever find a series I kimber used for sale, that might be something to jump on!

The very high end-custom offerings like Les Baer, etc really get my attention, but they'll come at $$$ Friends who have Les Baers are thrilled with 'em.

My big issue with Kimber is that I don't think I get premium service and quality control from a 1000 dollar plus gun..

BTW, Taurus's new 1911 looks very good.

I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago in my attempt to join the 1911 club. I went to the shop specifically looking for an Ultra Carry. I was looking at Kimber 1911s in both .45 and 9mm. The gun guy said they are very nice, but that Kimber doesn't have the best curtomer service, and only a year long warranty( for a $1000 gun, I expect more than a year of limited customer service). I had looked at the Para warthog, which to my understanding is the big brother to the hawg-9, a while back, but once again was advised against it by the gun guru at the shop I go to. The gun guy walked away while I was looking at the kimbers and came back and laid a Colt 1911 on the table. Took me a grand total of 3 minutes of comparing the Kimber and the Colt side-by-side before I told the guy to put the kimbers back in the glass case. The Kimbers are flashy, pretty to look at, and had lost of stainless on them. The Colt was subdued, no flashiness, no stainless, and all business. The colt also felt sturdier, sat in my hand nicer, had the Colt name and customer service standing behind it, and had those famous horses on the slide. In the end I put the Colt on layaway and have absolutely no regrets. While filling out my paperwork, I had quite a few people, both shoppers, and salespeople, come up to me and tell me i made the right choice in taking the Colt over the others. If I had to choose between the hawg-9 and the Kimber, i would personally go for the Kimber.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Just me, but I'd steer you away from Kimber series II guns. The series I's were fantastic and especially the "oreguns" were extraordinary examples. The issue I have with both current Kimbers and Para's is the rampant, unrestrained use of metal injection molded internal parts. This is very inexpensive and inconsistent way to cast parts and when it comes to hammers, sears, slide stops, thumbsafeties and disconnectors, it scares me off.

I Think the above poster who advised starting your 1911 foray with a gubmint size is giving good advice. It seems you want a smaller size for carry however. If so, I'd second the notion to looking at a Dan Wesson CBOB. Bobtails offer tremendous concealability and aren't noticable at all when firing, at least IME. I'd also suggest looking for a Series 70 style Colt Commander. These are rock-solid guns, with no funky "drop safety" to befuddle your cleaning efforts and add weight to your trigger.

A couple others to consider would be a Les Baer Commanche, or Stinger model. The Stinger is a CCO style, with an officer length frame and commander length slide. Tank-like build quality, tremendous reliability and legendary accuracy are the hallmarks of Les Baer pistols. Probably the best, "out-of-the-box" 1911 available.
    Fusion Firearms is relatively new to the game, but turning out some exemplary guns. They are full-house customs and they will do anything you like. The owner and principal smith, brought Dan Wesson out of the toilet and introduced the "pointman" series. These were extremely fine examples of the platform and are still coveted today. Everything he did at Dan Wesson is alive today at Fusion and beyond. They represent an incredible value in the industry and I look for them to go up tremendously in the near future.

Good luck and happy hunting.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

I went to the gun store for something else, but I found a Springfield Loaded Black Stainless with adjustable Bo-Mar type sights. The trigger pull was at least 5 1/2 pounds, but a trigger job down to 4 pounds fixed that.
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Not a big fan of the 3" 1911's or a Kimber fan as seen too many with problems. Do own 2 Springers (full size and a Champion) and both have been extremely reliable, accurate and make great carry guns. JMO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    Based on its performance I can, without reservation, recommend a Kimber.
    I, unfortunately, cannot. I have around 1000 rounds through my Kimber Warrior and it still has 3 point jams all the time. It is a beautiful 1911, but it is a paperweight in my opinion. My other 1911 is a RIA Tactical and it has never failed, but it is not a "nice" 1911. It is bargain basement quality. I don't like either one lol...wish I knew how current Colts are performing and how their current quality control is.

Kimber

RIA

Lead Moderator
    I like my Springfield Champ. I found any 3" gun tends to feel wrong on my hip, but the 4" feels good. Springfield has a good warranty service if you ever do need it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You may want to read this thread about compact 1911s if you are interested on them.

I have 2 now. A Springfield EMP in 9mm that I carry (now offering in 40 SW). Nice looking gun and easy to conceal. Fun little gun and accurate shooter for size. I have no problems carrying a 9, and do not doubt its effectiveness with HST's. Plus, ANY Springfield has a better warranty and customer service than Kimber.

Just bought a 5" Ed Brown Kobra. Shoots as good as you can. They offer this in a Kobra Carry as well. Check one out before buying. I think they look better than any Kimber.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Not a big fan of the 3" 1911's or a Kimber fan as seen too many with problems. Do own 2 Springers (full size and a Champion) and both have been extremely reliable, accurate and make great carry guns. JMO
    Forgot pics. Less than 1200.00 in both.

Champion

5"
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links