Looking into my 1st 1911 style pistol

This is a discussion on Looking into my 1st 1911 style pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking long and hard about my next weapon, so far I'm hearing nothing but good things about the 1911 style pistols. Two of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking into my 1st 1911 style pistol

I've been thinking long and hard about my next weapon, so far I'm hearing nothing but good things about the 1911 style pistols. Two of the main shooters I've been reading up on are the Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II™ / .45 ACP
    Kimber - Continuing The Legacy

and then there's the ParaUSA Hawg-9
    Para USA, High-Quality Handguns: Products

Both of these look to be very nice carry pieces, but I'm far from a pro on this style tho. Any advice and input will be greatly appreciated. So far the quality on both seem to be about the even, altho I know LimaTunes carries a Kimber and I definately respect her input. If you have experience with either or both let me know whsat your 2 cents are on these. And I'm looking at the Beretta PX storm sub-compact as well looks like another higher up on the list pistol for me also. Beretta USA Product Catalog - Pistols

Thanks for any opinions as always.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

Do not laugh but also check out the Taurus pt 1911. I have the stainless and so far have put over 1000 rounds through it with out a hiccup. I also us it as one of my daily carry weapons.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

My Kimber Ultra CDP II is my EDC...never a problem...several years now!

I like my Kimber, in fact, I'll have another in less than 3 weeks...

Stay armed...with quality...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Small 1911s

The small 1911s are definitely appealing and easy to conceal because of their thin profile and short barrels. The Kimber Ultra Carry is probably the most popular of them and most owners are happy with their guns.

Some people on these Internet gun boards will criticize the 3 inch 1911s as unreliable, and I would predict that this thread will draw some comments like that before very long. My own belief is that most 3 inch 1911s work just fine, but that a few of them are troublesome and need work to function well.

I've had the Colt version of a 3 inch 1911, called the Defender, for about 2 years and it has worked perfectly through about 700 rounds. So my experience, while limited, has been good. It is certainly an easy gun to carry and conceal, weighing only 25 ounces empty and having a slide width of 0.90 inches.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdoggsilva View Post
    Do not laugh but also check out the Taurus pt 1911. I have the stainless and so far have put over 1000 rounds through it with out a hiccup. I also us it as one of my daily carry weapons.
    I have this same weapon in blue and I really enjoy shooting it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I'm one of those guys who's had bad luck with the sub-Commander length 1911s. In all I've owned six 1911s and the only problematic one was a 3.5" SA UltraCompact Hicap. The smaller guns can be finicky and they require more diligence in the shooter's form - they don't like limp wrists to say the least.

I'm all for anyone looking to get involved with the 1911, they're incredible guns and incredibly fun to own and shoot. I currently own two, an SA Mil-Spec (fullsize 5") and a Nighthawk Custom T3 (4.25" slide with an OACP/Compact frame).

The Hawg 9 is an interesting li'l guy but if you're only going to buy one 1911 then I recommend getting the original chambering in .45acp so you can experience what the design truly has to offer.

Be careful ... they're addictive!
    Jack

I love the 1911's too. I'd start with a traditional full sized 1911A1 in the "loaded" style with beavertail safety, better trigger, hammer and sights. Most makers have something that fits this configuration.(RIA Tactical, Taurus PT1911,Springfield loaded,Charles Daly etc.) These can be had in the $500-600 range and are a good start. The smaller 1911 style pistols are a bit different animal, they cost more and can be problematic at times. I have a Colt Defender and a Springfield microcompact .45 operator. Both are great carry guns, but need to be fully tested for reliably with the ammo you want to use and also run better after a breakin period. The full sized 1911 makes a surprisingly concealable piece for ccw due to the brilliant design. Good luck, you are hooked for life. Chuck.

I'm happy with my Taurus PT1911.

I actually own a Hawg 9, and after the break in period (I'd say about 200 rounds). It's been running like a champ. Real finicky on ammo however since it's got a pretty tight chamber. Last time I went shooting, I couldn't fire range ammo in it. First time I tried firing reloads, so I guess I'll just have to stick to manufactured ammo. All in all though, it's a pretty sweet little gun. Hope this helps.
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

I have owned my Kimber Custom Compact for years and it is a great pistol. Based on its performance I can, without reservation, recommend a Kimber. Regards, Richard

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i own a Kimber UC II and love it. never had any problems that seem to haunt these message boards...
    my vote would go to the Kimber, very good quality.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

The biggest problem I have found with 1911s is that it is hard to stop at just one.

Kimber UCII / Para Hawg 9

I owned the Hawg 9 before trading for a UCII. Both guns have functioned flawlessly. My main reason for tading in the Para was the double stack made it somewhat hard to conceal at times.

Im glad I made the switch to Kimber. Altough the hawg 9 was a nice gun i'll never look back.

YMMV.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    As soon as I get some funds, I'm getting a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail. It has all the options & features I want right out of the box. No more, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    As soon as I get some funds, I'm getting a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail. It has all the options & features I want right out of the box. No more, no less.
    I was going to suggest a CBOB as well. I love mine. They are incredible guns...period...but when you consider the price they are incredible deals too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links