S&W 642 - Ammo & Holster ideas

This is a discussion on S&W 642 - Ammo & Holster ideas within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I just ordered a S&W 642 with a 2in. barrel-- I like the old saying six (or in this case five for sure) and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi,
    I just ordered a S&W 642 with a 2in. barrel-- I like the old saying six (or in this case five for sure) and the gun is not much bigger than my Beretta .22 Bobcat-- I was thinking about a Ruger LCP,Kel-Tec .380, or a Beretta .32 but went with the 642 when I was able to order a new one for $365—I will probably carry the .22 as a back up in summer and a Glock 19 in the winter--

So now on to ask for more advice-- Best ammo for practice (cheap and clean) in .38 ? -- Best ammo for carry in +P ?

I am also looking for some holster ideas-- I prefer OWB carry at about 4 o’clock position-- I am not sure if I will go with a belt or clip on to pants kind of holster—Any ideas on other kinds of carry would also be welcome—

Thanks for the help—

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ruger-lcp.html
    K.Paul
    Semper Fi

there's lots of holster options out there when it comes to OWB, so really it all comes down to your personal taste/budget.

ammo wise, from tests i've seen i went with the corbon dpx. speer gold dot +p is another good choice, but from what i read the dpx out-performed it.

Administrator
    Congrats! And great carry location.

Holsters...So Many great holsters being made for that firearm.

Check out our DC sponsors and UBG Holsters.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thats a pretty darn good price on a new one. As far as ammo goes, I almost always shoot WWB in my 442, it isnt the cleanest but for the price it is a good value. For SD ammo I prefer Speer Gold Dot short barrel loads. As far as holsters go, there are literally tons for the J-frame. If I carry OWB I prefer one that is a "high ride" which seems to conceal very well and be very comfortable. Congrats on the new J-frame.

For SD ammo I prefer Speer Gold Dot short barrel loads.
    That's what I'd recommend too.

As far as Holsters, take a look at Milt Sparks. I've used their stuff over the years and have a PMK on order for my SP101. I love their Summer Special II.

Biker

IMHO, if you choose to carry OWB, then a retention holster is the ONLY way to carry your snubby. I'd recommend at least a Level II such as a Blackhawk Serpa. Adding Crimson Trace laser stocks will give you an additional leg-up with this excellent choice of a CCW.

Practice ammo should be the same as your carry ammo. You don't want any surprises when you need it most. With a snubby, even though you can make accurate 50 yard shots with it, 90% of all gunfights are within 9 feet, so +P is really of no consequence. I look for penetration rather than a (possible) larger wound channel. Either ball ammo or maybe the new gel-filled HP's (I have yet to research anything about them).

Practice you reloading with your preferred device for carrying extra ammo. Get at least 10 or 15 dummy rounds and "dry-fire" and reload.

Congratulations! Welcome to the Snub-Club.

Ron
    The 642 is a great gun. I use WWB for practice and Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel for personal defense.

Pocket carry works great with the 642. I use a Mika pocket holster, which works very well.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I carry a 442 in a Kramer pocket. Do give pocket carry a try, it is comfortable and convenient. I also stoke mine with Speer GDHP 135 grain, can't go wrong with a round that was designed for the J frame.

You prefer OWB at 4:00 but maybe give appendix to 3:00 a shot with no cant. The J hides very well in these areas. I am waiting on an APX from Lou Alessi for mine, I like his Talon clip instead of belt loops. I have a SERPA also, but it does not conceal well in general, at least for me.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I put crimson trace grips on mine, and carry in a cheap pocket holster...I really like CorBon ammo in mine...great company with great customer service.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

1943 - 2009
    Look at Buffalo Bore's offerings in .38 Special, both standard pressure and +P.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I see you're in MN--knowing that not everybody is "Minnesota nice", it's good to have another armed law-abiding citizen!

For OWB, the Kramer MSP Paddle is a great option--it holds the gun in close and is easily off/on when you need to go somewhere carry is prohibited. Pricey, but well worth it. And, I think they keep them in stock rather than you having to wait on a "custom order".

"It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I love my 642. I stuff it with Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. +p short barrel. I had carried it in my pocket mostly, in a Nemesis holster, but now (since I got an LCP) I carry the 642 IWB in a Don Hume holster, the LCP goes in the pocket in a Nemesis.
    I'm thinking about getting a Crossbreed IWB holster for the 642 only because I don't care for the loops on the Don Hume; they're too bulky.

+1 for WWB (practice) and Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel (carry).

I carry IWB with a clip-on, no cant, holster around 2:00 and I have been pretty happy with it but if I were to try something different, I would experiment with a Bulman THR (high-ride, OWB) at 2:00.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    The 642 is a great carry gun. I would not want to get rid of mine. I am carrying mine in either a Fobus Paddle (Dont bother folks to tell me it is junk since I have used it for close to 10 years) and an EP #88 "Street Combat" Holster. I got the #88 for my 640, but the 642 fits OK. I don't like the suede lining, and would not buy it again. It is not a bad holster, however, and you would probably be happy with it.
    #88 "Street Combat" Holster

I would highly recommend Kevin's Eagle or Laredo Defender.
    K&D Holsters | Custom Gun Leather and Shooting Accessories

I do not think you need any kind of retention device. If a holster holds a loaded gun upside down without falling out there will be no problem. Any good maker will provide one that is plenty tight.

For ammo, I practice with handloads, and carry both 158 gr LSWHP +P and Speer GD 135 gr +P ammunition.

Regards,
    Jerry

If you are not going to "Open Carry" why in the heck would you need a retention device?

If you use a proper fitting, well made, quality Holster, like a Milt Sparks, Greg Kramer, Mitch Rosen or Matt Del Fatti I fail to see the need for a retention device.

On another note, I think the 442/642 belongs on the ankle or in the pocket with a more "substantial" firearm on the Belt. I carry my Airweight in my pocket or on my ankle as a BUG off duty to my SP101 on the weakside and my GP100 on the strongside.

Good gear will help you to conceal more than you think.

Biker

PS: When you order a Holster, order a Belt too. It is the foundation of the Belt Holster rig.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links