Any reason not to get a 2nd Glock 19? - Page 2

Any reason not to get a 2nd Glock 19?

This is a discussion on Any reason not to get a 2nd Glock 19? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dgg9 If one is planning for SHTF considerations, one practical implication is to avoid having stockpiles of multiple calibers, hence the motivation ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    If one is planning for SHTF considerations, one practical implication is to avoid having stockpiles of multiple calibers, hence the motivation to consolidate upon 9mm only.

That aside, what's the rationale for getting .40 as well? It's expensive to buy, and doesn't really provide any terminal ballistics value-add over 9mm.

In fact, from a pure SHTF POV, getting an AA .22 conversion kit for one's G19 is more germane than getting a .40 with a 9mm barrel.

If you are purchasing for SHTF, or fun, you should buy the G23 in .40 and then get the 9mm conversion parts and mags. In fact, any handgun that will accept these conversions should be purchased in .40, even if you don't plan to shoot it.

Why?

Because in a SHTF scenario you have no idea what ammo will be available to you. Sure you may have a stockpile of 9mm but what if you are forced to grab your hanguns and vacate immediately, without time to retrieve and carry your immense stockpile?

What then if all the 9mm in your area is soaked up and you only have access to .40? With the Glock, you can buy it in .40, and get the barrels for .357 sig AND 9mm, keep it all in the same case, and when the SHTF you can grab that case knowing that you will have three different ammo choices based on availability.

some of the less-common rounds like .40 and .357sig may be easier to come by at that point. You never know. So if you're TRULY considering SHTF, think past the situation that exists today, when there is no S and no Fans.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    Because in a SHTF scenario you have no idea what ammo will be available to you. Sure you may have a stockpile of 9mm but what if you are forced to grab your hanguns and vacate immediately, without time to retrieve and carry your immense stockpile?
    IMO, it's a mistake to think you're going to scrounge ammo, and count on that contingency. You should never rely on outside sources. You should always have a stash of your tested and chosen carry ammo at home.

Any BOB must have ammo already in it. You don't need an "immense stockpile" if you're on the move. How many gunfights do you think you're to survive before you get shot? And you especially shouldn't count on scrounging ammo when on the move.

People can base their planning game plans on whatever they choose. My basis is this: if TSHTF, I can expect NO ammo to be available from outside sources. The only ammo/food/water/etc I can count on are what's in my house to begin with. From that, it follows that I want to minimize money spent and space taken up, and thus I consolidate on platforms and calibers. I expect only self-sufficiency. I definitely do not bet the ranch on scrounging ammo or food or anything. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    I have a 2nd gen G19. I actually prefer it to the 3rd due to lack of finger grooves. The only potential con I can think of is some have 2 pin frames (like mine) and therefore will not hold up if you want to place a g23 (40cal) slide on the frame.

The second generation G19 frames (without finger grooves/light rail) had only two pins and so did earlier third generation frames. The extra pin above the trigger serves to reinforce the locking block when subjected to the heavier recoil.
    actually the third pin was put there to make it easier to disassemble and reassemble. according to the instructor at the glock armorers course that i attended in jan 06.
    no such thing as "knock down power"......
    only "knock down accuracy"!!
    lawyers are the only ones counting the misses ACCURACY FIRST!!

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    IMO, it's a mistake to think you're going to scrounge ammo, and count on that contingency. You should never rely on outside sources. You should always have a stash of your tested and chosen carry ammo at home.
    Nobody ever said that you should rely on outside sources for ammo. What I said was that you should plan for the possibility. We have no idea what SHTF really means. You may not be HOME. I have a good friend back home in San Diego, who had to evacuate his home in a hurry when wildfires swept through his area. There was no opportunity to grab stockpiles of handgun ammo. Sure, he had a duffel of loaded AR mags, but that is beside the point.

He had time to grab A handgun. There was no way of telling how long he'd be away from home, and if the SHTF at that time he may have been FORCED to rely on ammo from outside sources. If the S really HTF, we may need to work cooperatively with our neighbors. There is nothing wrong with expanding your options.

Get the .40, buy the 9mm conversion parts and make it a 9mm. Put the .40 barrel and mags, along with a .357 mag, in a case. Now you have one gun, setup in the platform you've stockpiled for and are happy with. If you are forced to rely on another source of ammo at some point, your options are triple.

Planning for SHTF should not be so narrow.

Senior Moderator
    You'll probably still be able to buy a Glock 19 after the inauguration - it's the "high capacity" magazines the AWB will make unavailable.

As far as guns go - look at what the new AWB will prohibit, and if there is something on that list you want, get it before 1/2009.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    Nobody ever said that you should rely on outside sources for ammo.
    That's exactly what your post implied.

What I said was that you should plan for the possibility.
    You can't plan for all possibilities. Any time you buy something, you now can't buy something else with that money, which represents opportunity cost. Buying 2 of the same gun, and all of the same caliber ammo covers most contingencies with the least money spent and the least space taken up.

We have no idea what SHTF really means. You may not be HOME.
    Then how does a conversion barrel help you in that scenario? If you're not even home, then at best you have your one CCW weapon on you, plus maybe a spare mag. In that case, it doesn't matter what caliber it is. Your conversion barrels and mags won't be on your person.

I have a good friend back home in San Diego, who had to evacuate his home in a hurry when wildfires swept through his area. There was no opportunity to grab stockpiles of handgun ammo. Sure, he had a duffel of loaded AR mags, but that is beside the point.
    Then the root problem is that your friend didn't have a BOB made up and ready to go. That's a readily solvable problem. Again, if you're on the road, you don't need stockpiles of ammo. You just need your carry gun plus some number of loaded mags. All that should be in your BOB. If you don't have an organized BOB, then all your conversion barrels won't be available either.

He had time to grab A handgun. There was no way of telling how long he'd be away from home, and if the SHTF at that time he may have been FORCED to rely on ammo from outside sources.
    Again, having a conversion barrel that's not in your possession then makes the notion moot -- and a proper BOB solves all those problems.

The bottom line is: you should never need to scrounge ammo. Make sure you have plenty at home and a useful amount in your BOB. Any strategy that requires scrounging ammo on the fly is doomed to fail, IMO.

For example, your friend is in CA. If the SHTF there, it's a pretty good bet that the authorities will force gun stores to shut down. A lot of areas in urban CA have minimal gun stores anyway, given the anti-gun climate. Available retail ammo will be bought up instantly. Realistically, if he doesn't already have it in his BOB, chances are poor her'll find some. Again: a poor strategy.

If the S really HTF, we may need to work cooperatively with our neighbors. There is nothing wrong with expanding your options.
    That's grist for a separate thread, but the short answer is: that's unlikely. Either they're already well prepped, in which case they have their own firearms, or they don't prep in which case what are you hoping for?

Get the .40, buy the 9mm conversion parts and make it a 9mm. Put the .40 barrel and mags, along with a .357 mag, in a case. Now you have one gun, setup in the platform you've stockpiled for and are happy with. If you are forced to rely on another source of ammo at some point, your options are triple.
    But you're still mixing scenarios up. Either you are, or you aren't at home. If you're on the road, a refugee, then you should have your BOB with you. Regardless, if you don't have time to grab a BOB, you won't have time (or the space) to have a lot of conversion barrels and magazine types in your BOB, so scrounging for ammo on the road won't work either.

And if you're home, then none of those considerations matter: all your ammo is available to you.

But there's no realistic combo of scenarios where you're on the road such that your ammo is not available to you, but all your conversion barrels and mags ARE.

Planning for SHTF should not be so narrow.
    You call it narrow. I call it efficient use of limited money and space.

Getting a second gun for the same purpose (personal defense) I would consider the same things that you considered the first time. If this led you to a particular gun the first time I see no reason why it could not a second time. One plus you can be certain to be familiar with the operation.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

Any reason not to get a 2nd Glock 19?

No.

Given your original post I'd say a 2nd generation Glock 19 would be just right for you. I myself prefer the 1st and 3rd Generations, but the 2nd is OK too.

Biker

Sounds kind of like you've already made up your mind! Go with the 19.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

if you want a Glock 9mm that backs up your G19 then either go for the G26 or just get another G19. IMO i'd get a 10mm and get conversions for it just to have some fun :)
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

I carry and use .45 acp most of the time, but I'm starting to buy 9mm ammo and guns, because it's the most widely available and cheapest to shoot. A Glock 19 is a great handgun, you can't go wrong. I plan to get one in the future. I am starting my 9mm purchases with a Ruger P-95, though. They are $249 brand new at CDNN (blued DC model). I can't pass that up. They have an awesome reputation for reliability and durability. The value FAR exceeds the price, which is rare in today's world.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I definately think it's a smart idea to have a spare that is identical to your primary. Everything is interchangeable (parts, mags, holsters, ammo). When you take a class, it's nice to have a spare in case your primary goes down, it's also good to have in the event that your pistol was to be taken as evidence after a shooting.

Buy another 19.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I wish I knew what you had on your list!

What I purchased after purchasing my Glock 19 was a Glock 26. I have not regretted this purchase and find that I'm shooting the Glock 26 as well as the Glock 19 (and I shoot the 19 very well), and I've only put approximately 500 rounds through it so far. I've add Pearce +0 grip extensions to 4 of the 6 magazines. I can shoot the non-grip extension magazines as well as the others, but enjoy the feel of the grip extensions.

Just my 2 cents.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

VIP Member
    If the glock works for you, then I think it is a good choice to get another.

HKR
    There is no reason not to get another G19. If you don't believe me ask my wife...........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links