Defensive Carry banner

Any reason not to get a 2nd Glock 19?

12K views 33 replies 27 participants last post by  clarkston_cz 
#1 ·
I currently have a Glock 19. I purchased it after compiling a list of all the features I wanted in a handgun, creating a list of all the guns that had those features, then (at least) holding, if not shooting as many of the guns as I could find on that list. It fits my hand very well and I am very accurate with it. My wife likes it very much as well.

I will probably only be able to afford 1 more handgun before Inauguration Day, 2009 ( :aargh4: ), and I am looking to get another one from my original list to be both a backup to the G19, and my wife's 'house gun'. (Actually, my wife has pretty much already claimed the G19 - I need to replace it for myself...) Here's my question:

Given that the G19 was the one I felt best fit my needs & hands, and this 2nd gun is designed to be a backup to the G19, is there any reason to get anything other than another G19?

I can't come up with any logical reasons to choose anything different, but something in my mind keeps saying that I should pick up something different, just to have something different. Anyone else have this problem? Can anyone give me any pros or cons regarding getting a duplicate gun?

Let me add as well, that these two guns are mainly designed as my SHTF guns, with the two highest-priority parameters being reliability and the availability of ammo. I fully intend to purchase more handguns after this 2nd one that will fit other needs / desires, so it's not like these are the only two I'll ever have - far from it! :image035:

Also, I don't need a bunch of names of other guns you think I should get. I have my list, and if I get something different it will be from it. Maybe I'll ask for advice on which gun to pick later if I choose to get something other than another G19. Please just stick with the question of "G19 vs something very similar". Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
If your main concern is getting a SHTF gun BEFORE the election, why not get an AR or AK type of weapon. If the election effects gun buying it will be on the "scary rifles". I would also load up on Hi-Cap mags for your g-19 since these could be effected also. I will be purchasing a g-19 soon and once I complete my move to Florida on June 1 I will stock up on hi-caps for the glock and my AR.

#3 ·
My other gun & mag needs are already budgeted - hence the reason I'll only be able to afford one more handgun!

Any reason to get something other than a 2nd G19?

#4 ·
I have a 2nd gen G19. I actually prefer it to the 3rd due to lack of finger grooves. The only potential con I can think of is some have 2 pin frames (like mine) and therefore will not hold up if you want to place a g23 (40cal) slide on the frame.

The second generation G19 frames (without finger grooves/light rail) had only two pins and so did earlier third generation frames. The extra pin above the trigger serves to reinforce the locking block when subjected to the heavier recoil.

#18 ·
actually the third pin was put there to make it easier to disassemble and reassemble. according to the instructor at the glock armorers course that i attended in jan 06.

#6 ·
I would not buy a second G19. Why? I would buy a G23 plus a 9mm conversion barrel and some more 9mm magazines. I have done this and it gives you two calibers for more shooting fun. I admit I have gone one step further and also purchased a 357 Sig barrel. All calibers work perfectly. Regards, Richard:smile:

#11 ·
If one is planning for SHTF considerations, one practical implication is to avoid having stockpiles of multiple calibers, hence the motivation to consolidate upon 9mm only.

That aside, what's the rationale for getting .40 as well? It's expensive to buy, and doesn't really provide any terminal ballistics value-add over 9mm.

In fact, from a pure SHTF POV, getting an AA .22 conversion kit for one's G19 is more germane than getting a .40 with a 9mm barrel.

#10 ·
I have multiple G19's for the very reason you state. Wife has one, I have one and I have an extra. I am moving from 40 to 9 and Soon I will have 2 glock 17's.

SHTF, reliability, ammo, interexchange of parts and mags, and wife usage. Double up on the G19. For fun, get what you want.

What is more important to you? SHTF readiness or fun?? Answer that and you will have the answer to your question.

#12 ·
Get the other G19. I purchased a G23 awhile back and loved it. It's a good, quality sidearm (just like your G19). I went ahead and got another G23 for:
1) same caliber (.40)
2) interchangable magazines
3) fits holsters already purchased
4) have the same firearm as a house gun as my EDC.( complements my shotgun)

I'm looking for a 1911 style sidearm right now and those same critera apply. May not necessarly want the SAME sidearm, but future 1911's will have to accept the same magizines, caliber, holsters, etc. I like to have backups.

#13 ·
Get what you can while you can.

#14 ·
Lots of good tactical reasons to double up on a reliable gun that you already own.

Having said that, personally, there are just too many great guns that I'd like to own that will have to come long before I get another one that I already have......

#15 ·
i think buying another G19 is a very smart thing to do. especially if you like it as much as you do. the accessories are the same the mags interchange. your wife is comfortable with it. ammo the same...
IF SHTF, you want something you are comfortable with, and have trust in...that sounds like the G19 for you.

#20 ·
You'll probably still be able to buy a Glock 19 after the inauguration - it's the "high capacity" magazines the AWB will make unavailable.

As far as guns go - look at what the new AWB will prohibit, and if there is something on that list you want, get it before 1/2009.

Matt

#22 ·
Getting a second gun for the same purpose (personal defense) I would consider the same things that you considered the first time. If this led you to a particular gun the first time I see no reason why it could not a second time. One plus you can be certain to be familiar with the operation.

#23 ·
No.

Given your original post I'd say a 2nd generation Glock 19 would be just right for you. I myself prefer the 1st and 3rd Generations, but the 2nd is OK too. :smile:

Biker

#24 ·
Sounds kind of like you've already made up your mind! Go with the 19.

Wht :hand10:

#25 ·
if you want a Glock 9mm that backs up your G19 then either go for the G26 or just get another G19. IMO i'd get a 10mm and get conversions for it just to have some fun :)

#26 ·
I carry and use .45 acp most of the time, but I'm starting to buy 9mm ammo and guns, because it's the most widely available and cheapest to shoot. A Glock 19 is a great handgun, you can't go wrong. I plan to get one in the future. I am starting my 9mm purchases with a Ruger P-95, though. They are $249 brand new at CDNN (blued DC model). I can't pass that up. They have an awesome reputation for reliability and durability. The value FAR exceeds the price, which is rare in today's world.

#27 ·
I definately think it's a smart idea to have a spare that is identical to your primary. Everything is interchangeable (parts, mags, holsters, ammo). When you take a class, it's nice to have a spare in case your primary goes down, it's also good to have in the event that your pistol was to be taken as evidence after a shooting.

Buy another 19.

#28 ·
I wish I knew what you had on your list!

What I purchased after purchasing my Glock 19 was a Glock 26. I have not regretted this purchase and find that I'm shooting the Glock 26 as well as the Glock 19 (and I shoot the 19 very well), and I've only put approximately 500 rounds through it so far. I've add Pearce +0 grip extensions to 4 of the 6 magazines. I can shoot the non-grip extension magazines as well as the others, but enjoy the feel of the grip extensions.

Just my 2 cents.

#31 ·
I'd rather have a G23 than another G19 personally. In the end though---two Glocks are definitely better than one no matter how you slice it. Glock on!

#33 ·
Love my G19, I also have a G17 and a G22. The G19 goes with me in the summer, and the G22 does duty in cooler months. The G19 provides a perfect balance of size, weight, concealability and firepower, and rides well in my Milt Sparks EC.

Maybe you should look into a G17 or a G26, whichever suits your needs better. Same caliber, and the larger mags will fit into a smaller gun

#34 ·
Getting a g26 makes sense. Then your wife will probably gravitate to the 'cute'
Baby Glock.

Ammo and most mags are the same for both guns.

The there is the buy a G23 and get the trifecta crowd.

They make some sense also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.