S&W 642 question????

S&W 642 question????

This is a discussion on S&W 642 question???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about buying a 642 very soon. I just have a few questions. Does the CT grips that come on the 642CT feel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 642 question????

S&W 642 question????

I am thinking about buying a 642 very soon. I just have a few questions. Does the CT grips that come on the 642CT feel pretty good? I know there is different grips that CT makes, but its sure alot cheaper to buy the 642 with the CT grips already on it. Does anybody find it annoying to have a "Double action only" revolver?

I can't comment on the CT grips sorry. But as far as finding my double action only revolver annoying? No. Deffinately not. I would never, IMO, need to fire single action in a defensive revolver. Now, if you are looking for something to play with at the range I could see how it might get annoying. But in a purely defensive revolver. Nope. Not at all.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Does anybody find it annoying to have a "Double action only" revolver?
    Yes, I've shot single action so much that it is automatic to pull the hammer back.

I never shoot my defence revolvers single action.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

cocking the hammer to shoot in a defensive situation can be "dangerous" (i use the term lightly because, after all, thats the point of having a gun). the trigger pull on a single action revolver is SOOOOOOOOOO light, you could accidentally fire without needing too or too early. i would just stick with a DAO and learn to use it. the 642 is hammerless, anyway.

Pull trigger gun cocks and goes bang, what is annoying about that ? With a bit of practice it is quite easy to get used to shooting double action and for a defensive situation, that is what you should be doing. The CT grip that comes on the SW 642 is their model 405 and it feels very good in my hand. I bought mine individually and saved a bit of money.

Ron
    I bought the Model 405 Crimson Trace laser Grips individually because when I bought my 642 S&W was using a different model, which made it more difficult to pocket carry. The Model 405 grips are very comfortable, and help take up recoil.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

So S&W is using the 405 now instead of the 305? Does the smaller grip of the 405 make it harder to hold?

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace12 View Post
    So S&W is using the 405 now instead of the 305? Does the smaller grip of the 405 make it harder to hold?
    It's just as easy as the grips that come standard on the gun from the factory. I have the CT LG 405 on my 442 (blues version of 642) & it feels a little better actually. The backstrap is padded for recoil reduction. They also fit well for pocket carry.

In J-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers I have a Model 642 but prefer an older Chief's Special...with a hammer I can cock. DAO definitely annoys me. While I can shoot a revolver well enough in DA mode I'll use it to my best advantage in SA mode if possible. "Dangerous" be hanged. If things have deteriorated to the point that I'm pointing a gun at a person there's a really good reason for them to be shot. I like good triggers and I'll have good triggers. I can control a trigger and don't require some crummy, long and heavy DAO trigger design to do it for me.

I can't comment on those specific grips, but as to the hammer, I would not want a hammer on a CC gun. It would be dangerous in a SD situation or while holding someone at gunpoint.

Regards,
    Jerry

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace12 View Post
    Not at all. Just a bit easier to conceal for pocket carry. They are really very nice grips.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

ok, i found out today that the 642 DOES NOT come with the LG-405, it comes with the LG-305. The only one that comes with the 405 is the new "M&P 340CT". But I did talk to someone at Crimson Trace and they said If I but the 642 with the LG-305, I could send it to them and thay will swap it for the LG-405 at no additional charge.

VIP Member
    Good luck with your 642, I like them a lot. I found a set of new CT laser grips at a gun shop going-out-of-business-sell and put them on my wifes ccw. They feel fine. I encouraged her to choose a 642 so she wouldn't have the possibility of her hanging an exposed hammer on something. She's pro-gun but not an avid die hard shooter (like me) so I wanted her to have a gun with minimal controls, so she could simply point and shoot if necessary.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I like the standard hogue grips that come with it. The CTs make it hard to pocket carry IMO. The DAO trigger took me a while to get used to, but I think I'm a better shooter because of it now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links