24/7 compact range report

This is a discussion on 24/7 compact range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know alot of members here don't like Taurus pistols but I got to tell ya they've made a owner out of me ! I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I know alot of members here don't like Taurus pistols but I got to tell ya they've made a owner out of me ! I was teaching a CWP class yesterday and one of my students brought a compact 24/7 PRO in 9mm .....well I was asked to try it and I was preasently surprised . I have big hands but this little gun fit well in everyone's hands , the recoil minimal for a poly gun , the trigger not the usual long rough pull .......plus I shot a GREAT 3"-4" group (point shooting ) plus it comes with a 13rd & 17rd mag w/spacer . I would recommend this gun to anyone (IMHO) The rubber on the grip is a nice feel , the .45acp version out soon, which I will probally get but for now I just ordered a 9mm . Oh everyone in the class tried it and shot very well which mostly were new shooters .
    '

I have a 24/7 PRO in 45 Cal. I don't have any quality issues to complain about. The fit and feel of the gun are nice. I do not care for the Heine sights.

I carry the 24/7 Pro C in 40S&W, never had any kind of failure.
    "The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." — Navy Admiral

University of Science Music and Culture

SEMPER FI!

If you don't like the sights, can one change them? I have been looking at these in .45 and from what Massad Ahyoob had to say about them (Very positive) They seem to be an excellent pistol for the money. Have them at Bud's for $339.00 for the 12 + 1 in Stainless Steel. Really good price for this kind of weapon, in my opinon.
    Vern
    http://Taurus45ACP.com
    My wesbsite with many pro-gun links.
    Carry Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP

My brother has a 24/7 pro in .40, and I really like the way it feels in the hand. The rubber grips and grip angle are great. It also shoots soft for a .40 S&W. I'd like the trigger more if it didn't had that long dead spot before the nice crisp break. However the front sight flew off at the range, but other than that it has been great gun for him. He wanted different sights anyway,... must have been Karma.

i just picked up a 24/7 pro 9 mm and i can not wait to take it out for a great day of shooting. it feels great.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

I really like the gun... but don't like the sites at all..... if someone knows how or with what they can be changed... I'ld buy one tomorrow.

45MINK, here is my horror story withTaurus. Now I probably got a lemon but that wasn't the real problem. I bought a 24/7 45 ACP about 2 years ago and after I was cleaning it one day I noticed the inside of the barrel was pitted over the rifling. I called Taurus-USA in Miami and told them the problem. They instructed me to send in the barrel and they would see what the problem was. I did so through USPS registered mail and it was signed for. About a week later I called and they couldn't find any record of receiving my barrel. I had to call the post office myself to get a copy of the signature. I told the Customer service person of this and they said that it was not their responsibility to track down signatures. And then questioned my intergity as to whether or not I sent the barrel to begin with. After two days of them trying to find their brain and numerous calls to the Post office from me, they finally found my barrel in their plant. They then said that the Brazil plant was not making any barrels right now and they sent it back to me. I told the CS rep that Taurus would never get my business again. And she said," Sir, that's your right" not how can we make this experience better for you. The volume of business that they do in the States gives them the latitude to have this attitude. Hope you never have a problem with your weapon.......
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I really like the gun... but don't like the sites at all..... if someone knows how or with what they can be changed... I'ld buy one tomorrow.
    here you go
    william's Fire sight on my 24/7 pro

seems like a well enough made gun, although have heard some frame splitting complaints.

Wow! That's just not right! Why would a company give out such mediocre advice? Like lemon guns, you may have had a "LEMON" person. Not all in the "answer" positions have the right attitude and are more likely rather curt. I'm sorry, but that seems to be the norm of todays receptions.
    Myself, if I was the manager of the Taurus plant, my reply to you would be this. "Sir, the Taurus plant is not making making any barrels at the moment and we do not have any in stock. However, if you are in agreement, please let us send you a new 24/7 same caliber and make as the one you have and we will provide a return UPS label for you to send back your frame and remainder of the 'parts' in this exchange. Our sincere apologies that this indiscretion and flaw in workmanship has ended up in your hands. Please advise if this is acceptable to you."

THAT is how you build reputation. The cost of the pistol (remember, the SRP is NOT what they, the distributors actually pay) would have been the best advertisement that money could have bought, bar none.

Too bad there is not another place you might get service. I am not sure, but there is a guy named Royce at Colorado Gun Works, Ft. Collins, CO (970) 482-4867 (he is gone till around the 18th though) that may or may not be able to help you. He is a licensed gunsmith, but I do not know if he would have replacement barrels in stock.
    Vern

As posted above... I like the size, feel, etc. of the 24/7, but now I'm having a question about Taurus.

I got a new ribber grip for a revolver and had to call them because they didn't send the new "screw" required.... has to be longer. The "girl" I talked to...... didn't have a clue about much... a real "valley girl".... duh. She's sending a new screw... hope it's the "right one".

I've never had a Taurus semi-auto.... the one's I have are revolvers. I love their revolvers and they shoot well, etc. BUT ..... I just bought a new Taurus revolver, opened up the cylinder and the wheel assembly fell out in my hand at the swing arm. Now, I'm trying to find out how to get it re-assembled properly because it ties into the trigger system. I can't figure out how it even goes in. The gun has "yet" to ever be fired... obviously.

These are the first incidents I've had... but the two things put together, make me wonder about how good Taurus is doing these days.

Eaglesks: Taurus once had 54% of it's shares owned by Smith & Wesson. They exchanged, ideas, drawings, blueprints, etc. Eventually Taurus bought back the shares to be solely contlled by Taurus. It is no wonder that Taurus revolvers look a lot like S&W. Also, in the 1980's Baretta sold their manufuacturing facility to Taurus there in Brasil after they were finished with the military contracts. Taurus got the dies, tooling, specs, AND the work force that was at that facility. Which, also explains that their pistols and Baretta might share very similar features.

Back to your revolver. If they are made like the S&W, there is a screw on the right side, front that holds the cylinder in. If they happen to put in the wrong screw, it won't be long enough and won't hold that cylinder in. That screw should have kind of a unthreaded end that might come to a bit of a point. It is the forward most screw on the right side just in front of the trigger guard.

BTW, did you check out the revolver at the dealer when you bought it? Did it function alright there?
    Vern

i had a 24/7 .40 for awhile...loved it...but my dad loved it also..gave it to him and bought my mom a 24/7 9mm...had no problems whatsoever out of these guns...i like them

Eagleks, what I did was use some 2 part epoxy, and took a very small piece and attached it to the top of the rear sight and shaped it. It made the sight taller. I used a mill file and cut a new notch in the rear sight in the hardened epoxy and eventually added 2 white dots to each side near the top. Sights are great! It shoots now where I expect it to. BTW, if the front sight fell off, it may been a loose allen set screw. They take a very small 1.5mm or so front allen wrench to loosen or tighten the set screw.

Shoots great with any ammunitions but the best with Remington Golden Saber 185 gr +P. I will try some regular 185 GS some time without the +P and see how that works out as well.
    DONT shoot a lot of +P through lighter polymer guns. Self Defence carry is ok, but even on K fram .38 specials, you will stretch out the frame after repeated diet of those hotter loads. Same with the polymer guns, and others. It was designed for the occasional shooting and they really test the integrity of the fiream to shoot them all the time.

and the target. 2 of the GS expanded rounds are at the top. Really did a nice job at expansion. I really am impressed and like this pistol a lot!

And the holster, a Fobus SP-11 that fits it very nice!
    Vern

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links