Anyone here carrying an HK P30

This is a discussion on Anyone here carrying an HK P30 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I originally picked up a USP .45 Tactical with the intent on carrying it. It's a fantastic firearm and looking at the picture thread on ...

I originally picked up a USP .45 Tactical with the intent on carrying it. It's a fantastic firearm and looking at the picture thread on how you CC it looks like a lot of DC members carry various forms of USP. I found the tactical was just too big to carry daily. Between the long slide, and then the threaded barrel sticking out the bottom it seemed to jab every soft spot I had while walking.

Enter the P30. I actually traded a "nothing special" AR-15 in to purchase the P30. It's more than an inch shorter overall, does not have a barrel poking out the end of it, and is in every direction smaller than the full sized Tactical. It's also the most natural feeling gun I've ever held.

Drawing from the holster results in a natural grip every time that requires no adjustment to have a "proper" shooting grip. This in my opinion is paramount when "Mr. Lizard Brain" kicks in under stress.

The only thing I'm having a problem with now is finding Holsters for it. I've ordered a Comp-Tac MTAC for it, and have two kydex holsters for my tactical that fit the P30 very well (although are both a bit long).

So I'll leave it to you. Who here carries a P30? What holster(s) do you use? And overall what is your impression of the firearm as a daily carry weapon?

Thanks.
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I'd like to know as well...........

I've found the articles and pictures of the gun very intriguing, making me desire one, of course. Looks like a great walking around gun.

I don't really care for what I call the "Batman" look of the grip panels, but I can live with that.

Instead I'm kind of bracing myself for the "sticker shock", which won't be that much of a shock, as I've priced other Heckler & Kochs.

The only one I own at present was purchased used.................

I'm not familiar with that gun, got any pics you can post?
    As far as leather holsters go, I'd recommend calling some of our resident leather craftsmen and see if they can get a dummy gun to custom make a holster for you: Off the top of my head, you might try Kevin at K&D, Nate at UBG, Bluegrass Holsters, Boomstick Holsters, Desbiens Gunleather ... there's plenty of other pros here I've neglected to list, hopefully they'll chime in with ideas.
    Jack

The P30

I Usually refer to the grips as "Spiderman grips" but yeah. These run between $700 and $850 depending on where you are in the country, and who you buy from. Come with 3 sizes of each grip piece. Two 15 round magazines. It's DA/SA with no manual safety, and a rear mounted decocker (like the P2000 (sk)) The back strap, Right panel, and Left panel are all independently adjustable. You can have a Large backstrap, small right side, and medium left side if that's what fits, or any other combination as desired.

Also, the slide catch, and mag release are both ambi. on this gun. The mag release is a slightly larger version of the USP/P2000 style mounted at the rear of the trigger guard where it meets the grip. That's the #1 reason I picked HK pistols for self defense. Using the middle finger of my shooting hand to drop the magazine frees my off hand to already be reaching for a replacement, without really changing my firing hand grip at all.
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

Neat little piece of Engineering. Congratulations!
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    H&K does make some nice firearms, but darn they're expensive!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

My next purchase, great pistol, I love the feel of the pistol in my hand as well as the mag release. Holsters are limited, but I think the MTAC is the best choice.
    Tucker also makes one like the MTAC but charges a lot more. I would like to find a nice OWB leather for the P30.

I like mine.......

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

I carry mine daily in the MTAC. Its very comfortable and after over 1000 rounds with no problems what so ever I'm even more comfortable with the gun.

Still need a good OWB holster for the range though, best I can tell blackhawk doesnt make a cqc with serpa retention, I had one for my USP and I'm sort of holding out for it to come around.

Links