High Point

High Point

This is a discussion on High Point within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I co worker came to me earlier this week and said that he bought himself a pistol since he lives alone and wanted to go ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Point

High Point

I co worker came to me earlier this week and said that he bought himself a pistol since he lives alone and wanted to go shoot. Well the guy bought a High Point 9mm. I was little reluctant to believe that this 150.00 to 170.00 pistol brand new was any good and really wanted to tell him to buy a better pistol.

Well I took my always gun to the range SW 637 and switched off with my buddy, and that little High Point never missed a beat. Ran through a box of hard ball 9mm rounds without a problem. Cheap and goes bang every time. Not, saying I would buy one, but if I were on budget I would definitely pick it up.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

i wouldnt have one im a Gun Snob ...lol

But every thing i have read says same thing it runs all the time Buddie has a high point carbine and it runs 100% of the time everytime i have been out to shoot with him

My friend and his brother have Hi-Points in .380 and my friend likes his. His brother took his apart to clean and it never fired right again. Word to the wise, don't take apart your Hi-Points to clean them.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Have a .380 too, hasnt gave me any problems except with some reloaded ammo.

I was at the gun shop window shopping and I was like "what is that thing" [pointing to a high point 9mm]. It looks like a piece o crap to me and the guy behind the counter told me that it was a modern day "saturday night special".

*singing loudly* "AIN'T GOOD FOR NOTHIN', PUT A MAN 6 FEET IN A HOOOOOLE!" *air guitar solo*

I guess it'd be a good economy target shooter......
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

Lead Moderator
    Guess its better than a stick, but not for me.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Not for me either --- BUT--- heard that they are made in the USA with all USA parts and have a lifetime guarantee. ------Hey,just a thought::: maybe I'll sell my Kimber and buy 6 1/2 of them. Well,uh,naw,forget that !? -------

Assistant Administrator
    They have a lousy rep' - not so much re reliability but more because a bit crude and cheap. More of a stigma thing.

In fact most folks I have come across who bought one found them dead reliable and supposedly if you have a prob, after sale's service is good.

For someone on a bufget I daresay they are worth consideration - and if reliability is there then certainly better some gun than no gun.

I'd not expect tho to be able to feed thru many 1,000's of rounds without seeing quicker wear and so as a carry option, maybe break-in, practice and then carry - with maintenance shooting at intervals.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've actually bought the 9mm one as a present to my GF's room mate. The pistol works fine. We had a bit of a problem at the start with FTF. Dropped it off at t he factory, nice to be living in the same town :). They repaired it , sent two new mags and it's never missed a beat since.

I've even shot it, great little gun. I've given some serious though to putting the 45 version in the gove boxes. They are built like a brick, but hey if they go bang when needed not bad investment.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Thumbs up hi point

i have two, a 9mm carbine and 9 mm pistol. the wife has a .45 pistol. they're great around the house/yard guns. good plinker/critter guns too. we use them for fun at the range too. these guns will fire almost any kind of ammo without a problem. i got a guy at the range a little ticked because his high dollar 9mm kept jamming. said his ammo was no good. tried it in my carbine and pistol with no problems. he went away muttering bad things,lol.

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    As a new gun owner, my first gun was a hi-point .380. Yes it goes bang everytime. It is not however good for concealed carry. Way too heavy(at least for my tastes). The .380 weighs as much as most .45's. I would consider it a good gun to have around the house because it is so inexpensive. It is also very large. I'm not against it, just pointing out it's shortcomings.

I think I'm gonna pick up the 45 acp just for kicks to see how it is....

But you'll never pry my 5906 out of my fingers....unless you put a Para Carry 12 in it's place!
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

It's a budget gun that works.

Yes, it's huge. Yes, it's ugly. Yes, the trigger is lousy (but in my Pepsi challenge at the shop, even the snobs preferred it trigger-wise to the HKs).

Still, I have yet to have one come back in from the guys I know for a fact are shooting the heck out of 'em with problems, and they usually bring friends in to buy one too.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I know a fella at our range who bought four of them so he has extra pistols on hand for when his grand kids visit him. He uses and collects high dollar stuff, and as explained to me, he doesn't mind as much if one of the Hi Points gets dropped on the deck.

Now on to my personal pet peeve. Those that tell me I own a POS when I tell them I carry a Hi Power. I know they are thinking Hi Point, but damn it can be frustrating explaining the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Q-ball
    My friend and his brother have Hi-Points in .380 and my friend likes his. His brother took his apart to clean and it never fired right again. Word to the wise, don't take apart your Hi-Points to clean them.
    QBall's right.
    I've seen a few of them come into the store, that don't shoot cuz they were disassembled. Also, holsters are almost non-existent for them.
    Looks cheap, but I guess they go bang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links