1911 in .40 S&W

This is a discussion on 1911 in .40 S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by stewartjwnls I have a daughter that has had excellent results with that caliber in a Glock 23. However, she really likes the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 in .40 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by stewartjwnls View Post
    I have a daughter that has had excellent results with that caliber in a Glock 23. However, she really likes the 1911 style, and I'm very partial to it.

I would like to see if combining the 2 would make a good carry gun for her.

That's why I'm looking for people with experience specifically to this combination. I believe a 5" is too big for her to carry, and she does not control the 3" .45 as well as she does the G23.
    I can't offer any experience with your selection of a .40 in a 4" 1911 but I can address a .45 in a 4" Wilson Combat.

My Wilson is easily controllable. Actually, my 9mm (G19) is a bit more snappy than my Wilson. So, how about considering a 4" 1911 chambered for .45? That's a pretty proven combination.
    Tom

Glock 19
    Kimber Gold Combat Stainless II
    Wilson Combat Tactcial Supergrade
    Wilson Combat Tactical Supergrade Compact

2. Remove Ads

Sorry guys, I have passed by this thread just one tooooo many times and had to stop and say. (I know I should have gone back to sleep.) But a 40-1911 sounds like somebody wanting to buy a big rig just to put a small block chevy engine in it because they are so cool. ???? You get the same size body, same ammo capacity in a firearm that cost more to start with. And please do not say recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by wagglebee View Post
    I can't see spending the money on a Wilson and NOT getting it in .45 acp.
    +1 here.
    I'd suggest renting a 4" 45, and find something comparable in size and weight in 40 if they don't have a 1911 (in 40). Unless she's mentaly attached to 40S&W, the 45 has a less snappier recoil. How about a 4" CZ or EAA Witness, based on the HI-Power.

Good Luck.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by TLeath View Post
    I can't offer any experience with your selection of a .40 in a 4" 1911 but I can address a .45 in a 4" Wilson Combat.

My Wilson is easily controllable. Actually, my 9mm (G19) is a bit more snappy than my Wilson. So, how about considering a 4" 1911 chambered for .45? That's a pretty proven combination.
    I have considered that. That's one of the reasons I was looking for anyone with experience with a 1911 in .40.

Would like to hear the differences between the 2 in a 1911.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    +1 here.
    I'd suggest renting a 4" 45, and find something comparable in size and weight in 40 if they don't have a 1911 (in 40). Unless she's mentaly attached to 40S&W, the 45 has a less snappier recoil. How about a 4" CZ or EAA Witness, based on the HI-Power.

Good Luck.
    This is the first response I've seen that addresses a comparison for me. I was not sure what the recoil in comparison would be like. I recognize that barrel length and weight play a big part in that as well.

Thanks.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."

Quote Originally Posted by wagglebee View Post
    I can't see spending the money on a Wilson and NOT getting it in .45 acp.
    +1. I don't have a 1911 but if I'm getting something nice like a Wilson or NHC, it has to be a .45.

DC Founder
    I can see the logic in a .40S&W in a 1911, if the .40 is her preference. Choice is all about what you like and what you are comfortable with. And, the 1911 design is the choice of many, me included. With that I have to say I have no experience with the Wilson .40 1911, but if it's a Wilson, I think it would be a darned nice, dependable gun. The recoil of a .40 is a little "snappy", as rhinokrk said, so expect it to be much the same in a 1911 design. I'm not surprised that nobody here has had experience with the Wilson .40.

Given all of the choices above, and assuming you want to avoid the cost of a Wilson, I would give the Springfield EMP. STI makes good guns, as well....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I can see the logic in a .40S&W in a 1911, if the .40 is her preference. Choice is all about what you like and what you are comfortable with. And, the 1911 design is the choice of many, me included. With that I have to say I have no experience with the Wilson .40 1911, but if it's a Wilson, I think it would be a darned nice, dependable gun. The recoil of a .40 is a little "snappy", as rhinokrk said, so expect it to be much the same in a 1911 design. I'm not surprised that nobody here has had experience with the Wilson .40.

Given all of the choices above, and assuming you want to avoid the cost of a Wilson, I would give the Springfield EMP. STI makes good guns, as well....

I guess I could have rephrased my question to be less specific to the Wilson. I'm primarily interested in the differences in recoil, controlability between a .40SW and a .45 in a 1911 style pistol. Wilson just seems to be one of the few that has what I'm looking for in a 4".

She's shot a 3" .45 and doesn't like it as well as the 4" .40 Glock. A 5" 1911 is too big for her to carry.

I've sort of ruled out the STIs as it appears that some of the interchangeability may not be there. I'm very partial to Hogue/Pierce rubber grips and so is she. Want to make sure that whatever we get, I can set it up the same way as what she now does so well with.

I can see where a 4" vs a 3" should probably have less felt recoil, and be easier to control. Sounds like the same things in a .40SW are going to be a little snappier. Sound true?

Thanks.
    Thanks.

My opinion is that you are splittin' hairs in perceived recoil between a 40 and 45. The 1911 platform was built for the 45, magazines are more readily accessible, ammo price is comparable, and the 45 1911's are likely more reliable; tried and true sir. Your best bet is to try and find a friend or range to shoot them both.

Pick up a good lightweight commander size if you are looking for a carry piece... My Colt is the first one with zero problems out of the box. Shameless pic:

---------------------------------------
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    ---------------------------------------

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I've got the Colt Defender in 40. I like it. The recoil is a little snappy but not bad.
    Haven't seen many of these around though. The Defender has been extremely reliable.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I have a Dan Wesson PM7S-40, 5" steel 1911. It's been flawless, if you don't count failure to lock the slide back on empty magazine.

It shoots easily, with none of the .40 snappiness that I had in my G27. Weight is your friend when taming a difficult round.

It is a bit large and heavy to carry, though.

KAHR ARMS has two series... the TP Series and T - Series both come in .40 cal. with 4 " barrel

VIP Member
    Might look around for a CZ 40B. Made as a joint venture with Colt. The colt being marketed as the Z40, when Colt backed out CZ marketed it as the CZ 40B. Priced somewhere around $300-350. for a new one. Not sure what used go for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links