SIG P250 or Beretta PX4?

SIG P250 or Beretta PX4?

This is a discussion on SIG P250 or Beretta PX4? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my cousin gun shopping yesterday at Gander Mtn with the idea of handling some guns there and buying elsewhere due to price. After ...

Thread: SIG P250 or Beretta PX4?

SIG P250 or Beretta PX4?

I took my cousin gun shopping yesterday at Gander Mtn with the idea of handling some guns there and buying elsewhere due to price. After getting rid of the "mall ninja" salesman who said I was crazy for liking Glock and telling her the only thing to buy was SIG...we moved on to a salesman who said she should by something with an external safety because she was a girl. After settling her down from being angry and a little turned off, we decided no revolvers and that 9mm would be our caliber. She settled on a Beretta PX4 and a SIG p250. I was quite impressed for a first time gunshopper. I am also kinda liking the p250 for myself. What I wanna hear is what do you guys and gals think....good, bad, indifferent? Open up, I do not have experience with either one. Even though my regular EDC are a SIG p228 and a Glock 23.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    The Px4 is an oddball gun, so I cant recommend it especially for a new shooter who may not have the resources to search and seek out everything needed for the gun.
    The 250 is new to the market, so it may or may not be a good choice. I demo'd a 9mm a few weeks ago, it was OK, but not what I've come to expect from Sig.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah. I should add, she is VERY small of stature and was looking for hand fit, ease of slide operation, etc. She is also mainly going to use it for a range gun for the time being. I will work on her for CCW. LOL The Kahrs were very tight in the slide. The p250 to me is an "entry level SIG" I think. SIXTO, I agree it is not my p228 which I am learning to love. as much as my g23.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I took my cousin *** shopping yesterday at *** with the idea of handling some guns there and buying elsewhere due to price.
    Do everyone, including yourself, a favor and at least give the store that actually lets you look-touch-handle the object of your desire a chance to make the sale. It's a vicious cycle: If they can't sell enough, they can't afford to have the item in stock for you to fondle. If you can't fondle it, you won't know how much you want or don't want the item. Tell them the price you need them to match (and be fair, include shipping costs, etc.) and see what happens.

I know that if my stores (guns, electronics, etc.) just get into the ballpark, even if not quite the best price, I'll support my local store because they try to service their customers.

Of course, if the sales staff are jerks, all bets are off!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The Px4 is an oddball gun, so I cant recommend it especially for a new shooter who may not have the resources to search and seek out everything needed for the gun.
    The 250 is new to the market, so it may or may not be a good choice. I demo'd a 9mm a few weeks ago, it was OK, but not what I've come to expect from Sig.
    I can;t comment on the 250, but I have several SIGs and they all shoot flawlessly. I can say that I have not bought ANYTHING for my PX4 besides ammo. And the rotating barrell may be odd considering the affluent nature of the Browning designed blowback, but it's nothing a beginner cannot learn.

How big of hands does she have? I have relatively small hands and I find that generally only single stack guns are comfortable, though I can certainly shoot a chunky old Glock if I need to. It's just no fun.

Not sure what she's looking for, but my favorite small gun - ever - is the Sig P230/232. Looks a bit ugly but shoots great. It's only in 380, so if she wants a bigger bang she'd need something else. Real easy to shoot, though.

sig 250 would get my vote ...gonna be my next purchase ,,

What exactly do you mean by everything needed for the gun? The px4 was my first firearm and it came with everything needed out of the box besides ammo and a cleaning supplies. I guess the rotating barrel is a little different than most guns, but I haven't heard of anything negative about it and mine has been flawless with at least 2000 rounds through it. I am still an amateur, being a gun owner for only a year, so maybe i'm missing something.

To the OP, here's a few reasons I chose the 9mm Px4 for my first:

- When I first picked up the gun it seemed to fit my hand perfectly, it also has the 2 additional backstraps for different sized hands.

-I went with 9mm because I knew I would be shooting it alot to practice, and 9mm ammo is the most affordable next to .22LR.

-It's pretty accurate, and the recoil is mild.

-It's extremely easy to field strip and clean.

-I like the DA/SA style, and the safety features of the gun. Before I purchased my first gun, I thought it was a crazy idea of owning a gun without a safety, but am now starting to see the light.

-includes (2) 17 round magazines, and a speedloader.

-I know alot of people think it is an ugly gun, but I love the design and the way it looks.

I've only really shot 3 different brands of ammo through it: WWB, Remington UMC, and Federal Hydra Shok JHP. So far it's been 100% reliable, I stopped counting after 2000 rounds. The only thing about the gun I don't like is that it is a tad to big for me to comfortably carry, but that is a personal preference. I'm sure the right holster could correct that though. I plan on buying the subcompact version to remedy this, that is if it ever gets released. I wish I could comment on the Sig P250, but I haven't shot one before. With Sigs' reputation I'm sure its a nice weapon as well, but I don't personally think you can go wrong with the Beretta.

Brian

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowardSRT4 View Post
    What exactly do you mean by everything needed for the gun?
    magazines, holsters, parts etc. Should something break, good luck picking up a new part with relative ease.
    "Just blame Sixto"

try Sig 225 or P6 available at Aimsurplus :

AIM Surplus and Used Handguns Surplus and Used Handguns

excellent shooters... inexpensive... good for new shooters...

(I taught my son's best friend to shoot mine - he liked it so much - now it is his...

As far as the big store...I have given them a chance to beat prices before. they don't. I can beat their price on a g23 w NS by $90 nad w/o by 150.00. That is a nice holster or some practice ammo. To top it off the salesman were not very first time friendly. She just closed up and made me do all of the talking. I have at least five dealers who will sell for cost + 10%. I would love to buy and give them a chance, but they don't play along. I was leaning toward the p250 for her, due to the fact it is a little lighter and smaller in general. She has tiny hnads.

magazines, holsters, parts etc. Should something break, good luck picking up a new part with relative ease.
    I guess its no Glock , but its really not that difficult to find parts for it. Should something break, all you have to do is go to Beretta's website, they have a complete stock of replacement parts, and they are all in stock, I just checked.

Besides Beretta's website, CDNN and Cheaper Than Dirt both offer Px4 magazines. Those are both very popular websites that alot of enthusiasts buy their gun parts and accessories from, so thats not necessarily any more difficult than any other gun.

When it comes to holsters, most of the top holster makers have offerings for the px4 including Fobus, Comp-Tac, Milt Sparks, Cross Breed, and Blade-Tech.

With all the options out there, I really don't think it takes LUCK to easily find these parts and accessories.

Plus a new finish on the slide when the original one chips off. Plus night sights when the "superluminova" paint in the sight falls off after the first range visit.

Plus the bandages that will be needed when doing immediate action drills and finding that the rack portion leaves one with index fingernail and thumbnail separated from the skin. De-cocker on the slide is just bad juju.

I should add a post on guns I have gotten rid of and don't miss.

Links