Berreta m9 92?

This is a discussion on Berreta m9 92? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just read your Location thing "Location: above is the Footprint of a common american CHICKEN" That's beautiful, I want to borrow that one for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Berreta m9 92?

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    I just read your Location thing "Location: above is the Footprint of a common american CHICKEN" That's beautiful, I want to borrow that one for a poster :-) :-) :rotf:
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I just read your Location thing "Location: above is the Footprint of a common american CHICKEN" That's beautiful, I want to borrow that one for a poster :-) :-) :rotf:
    If you make any money off of that I want some kind of RIGHTS!!!!!!

hehehehehehehe
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I've got the 92G-SD and after a competition trigger job, use it for IDPA & USPSA shooting. It has functioned flawlessly and performs much better than the shooter...heh.

While I load mags to only 10 rounds for competition, Mec-Gar has some very reliable 18-round flush fit mags that I'd recommend.

The "G" model is decocker only, no safety. The 92G-SD has the heavier Brigadier slide and a rail on the frame. And, it also comes standard with Trijicon night sights.

One reason the military went to 9mm is it's easier to shoot and train somebody to be accurate with a 9mm than a 45 acp,there are a lot more women serving in the military carrying sidearms
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    I have never shot a beretta 96, does that fall into this thread, I still have holsters, cleaning kits, and CT lasergrips for the frame, and the .40 seems a decent comprimise.

The only real problems I had in Afghanistan were related to the Ammo, the weapon itself is a decent weapon and easy enough to use.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post

The only real problems I had in Afghanistan were related to the Ammo, the weapon itself is a decent weapon and easy enough to use.
    Similiar to the initial use of the M16 A1. The gun itself was great idea. However, the specific requirment of ammuntion was not used when the gun went to the field. I agree with you on the ammuntion. However, the guys shooting .45 ACP that are over in the sand box, I would question on the down low if their actually running low quality government .45 ACP ball ammo vs. the 9mm suplus stuff you guys are shooting, that is issued to the standard soldiers. I just have this feeling (no facts to back it up) that those guys are using stuff that is not just a typical ball load, I would say leans more towards the side of a hollow point or gives similiar results.

IIRC this is kind of similiar to the M9 malfunction issues that where happening. Wasn't the government buying magazines that where not Factory mags and where out of Beretta Spec and " met MIL SPEC". Thats not the guns fault, thats the MIL SPEC issue.

I never did understand the significance of MIL SPEC. To mean it means (built by the lowest bidder!)
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Similiar to the initial use of the M16 A1. The gun itself was great idea. However, the specific requirment of ammuntion was not used when the gun went to the field. I agree with you on the ammuntion. However, the guys shooting .45 ACP that are over in the sand box, I would question on the down low if their actually running low quality government .45 ACP ball ammo vs. the 9mm suplus stuff you guys are shooting, that is issued to the standard soldiers. I just have this feeling (no facts to back it up) that those guys are using stuff that is not just a typical ball load, I would say leans more towards the side of a hollow point or gives similiar results.
    They use standard issue ball in their .45's, at least the guys I know do.

The M-9 is a decent pistol, although most guys I know around here aren't too fond of it. But if guys in my unit start breaking out the M-9's, we are in big trouble anyways.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

On the M9/92 discussion

Quote Originally Posted by BENZIN View Post
    so anyone own a berretta M9/92 ? is it a good gun or trash
    I recently acquired a used Beretta 92FS Inox. It's easy to shoot accurately. It's even easier to field strip for cleaning. When the weather's cool enough for the right shirt or light jacket I can even carry it concealed in an IWB holster. Concealment though is not its strong point.

I guess what impresses me the most is the mechanical design, and of coarse, the fit and finish. All the parts seem to work well together and it is an aesthetically pleasing gun to handle. I say this because I own numerous popular polymer framed guns that are really great pieces of hardware but there's something about a metal frame that still gets my attention.

At the end of the day you either like the Beretta or you don't. It's highly subjective but I can say I really like mine and I'll be in the market for a Brigadier version soon.

PS

I'll pass on the 9 mm -Vs - .45 ACP discussion

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    They use standard issue ball in their .45's, at least the guys I know do.

The M-9 is a decent pistol, although most guys I know around here aren't too fond of it. But if guys in my unit start breaking out the M-9's, we are in big trouble anyways.
    I don't doubt what your saying but my buddy who was wounded in Iraq was hit in the calf by a Federal 9mm JHP fired from his personal M9. The only reason they know the bullet was because the gun he was shot with was in the hands of his fellow team leader when they where just smoking and joking, and playing around with the M9, and it was recovered.

I know its against the "rules" but if some military unit is shooting ammo that is not Geneva compliant I would hope wink wink that a commander would be very upset (in front of CSPAN) and shake his finger at them and say bad bad bad operator you know better, and then hand them a medal (in private) for doing his job by neutralizing a threat faster, with better tools, so he carry out the mission faster. A logical person would say, give them the tools for the job and who cares about a convention put into effect over 4 wars ago, that never even considered the modern technology. Nobody else abides by it, why should we. All I'm saying wink wink wink "plausible deniablity". If somebody is shooting a 230 grain EFMJ or even JHP or a bullet similiar to a Safety Slug or Power Ball out of there gun hey to me its still a FMJ for you guys fighting in another country and frankly I won't loose sleep over it, but I will sleep quieter in my bed know that better tools are in the field for the guys working a 24 hour shift.

I know somebody is going to say were America and we have to "set the standard". Well, your right, however, with advent of technilogical advances like Predator drones, and possible future terminator robots. Maybe just maybe somebody should say this doesn't make a lick of sense. Again, Nobody else abides by it, why should we. We can use stand off capability with a flying drone, and a guy sitting in Oklahoma ( no offense to the Military guys sitting behind the joysticks because you doing a awesome service) but not allow a living breathing human the ability to be more lethal? When the stuff coming at him is not Geneva compliant. Sorry I know this is way off of topic but using technology that is known to be somewhat unreliable (i.e. any FMJ pistol cartridge) makes little to absolutly zero sense to me.

Anyway sorry for the rant but the point of this was FMJ in any pistol is known to give the similiar results out of any pistol caliber it is fired from. Using, a military argument for the orginal posters question from a person whos going to use the gun for concealed carry IMHO doesn't overlap nor it relative in comparisent. I sincerly doubt any civilian/LE who carries a 9mm with a good reliable bullet that expands reliably, and can be deliverd effectivly, feels more inadequate than somebody who carries a .45 for Concealed carry on the street. For example the LA Bank of America Shootout. A higher up LEO came out and said on TV right after that shooting, "Where going to issue our guys 40mm pistols" of course he ment something else, but to the educated on guns we know he ment either a .40 or a .45. However, we also know that the outcome of that incident would have been no differn't if the LAPD had been carrying a .45 vs a 9mm. Frankly, a ruger MK II in .22 lr may have helped them more effective in that situation because they possible could have controlled the recoil under stress and made more accurate shots giving them an instant electrical shutdown; however, we still will never know. Civilians/ LE don't play by the same rules that Military personal are "supposed to". Therefore, I don't see logic in the civilian vs. military usage comparisents. I'm not trying to say that Military folks are less trained or are not as compitant as Civilians I'm simply saying you guys have your hands tied when it comes to choice of equipment for carrying a gun in a war vs. civilians who carry one on the street in a Civilian enviorment. Which gives the Civilian/LE a "Edge" to be more effective if you base it off equipment alone.

In other words Berettas WORK FINE (I'm Not a Fan) however, there accurate provide historical reliablity. when used with the magazine provided by the manufacturer, and when mated with a good defensive load are GREAT GUNS, and I would not bash, shun, call you inadequate, for carrying one for CCW. PS THIS IS COMING FROM A GLOCK SHOOTER.....LONG LIVE THE TACTICAL TUPPERWEAR!!!

I was wanting to get a gun for a Security job which is a 9/38 only.

Personely I would go for my 45 in any fight I can plant enuff lead on target to stop any threat ,also the 45 colt came about before the warm fuzzy un nato crap politicains started running the military .
    The Army wanted a lethal gun with alot of knockdown power so COLT handed them the 1911 pistol it has fought in more wars more gun battles so will the 45 put down any agressor YES will a 9mm maby
    SIGSAUR 1911 gsr 45
    S a W SIGMA 9mm CRAP
    Ruger 10 22
    Black powder 44 cal revolver

I'm a big fan of my 92FS. Shoots smooth, very accurate, very reliable. As long as you don't neglect regular maintenance, I'm sure you won't have a problem. I've put a thousand rounds through mine since December (700 with that worthless gunky steel ammo -- will never do that again), no problems at all.

As far as the .45 v 9mm arguments go, I'm too broke to put enough time in on a .45 to achieve and maintain a comfortable accuracy and speed. And with, generally, only seven chances in a .45 to put someone down... well, let's just say I like having fifteen rounds ready to go that in a pistol that I can quickly and accurately use (with a 20-round backup mag, I've got 35 rounds ready to go. Granted, if I'm every in a situation requiring those extra five rounds... SHTF and I'm probably going home in a body bag anyway).

And I like that I can afford to shoot more often with a 9mm. In the future, I'll probably move to a .40, but for now...

It is a big gun to CC, but it's workable on my frame (6'5, 240 lbs).
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I currently own a Beretta 92FS "Police Special". It came with three mags instead of the traditional 2 like most semi-auto pistols. It is one of the softest shooting 9mm handguns I had ever shot, and racking the slide makes me wonder where the ball bearings are. I occasionally carry it during the winter months, but other than that, its a range gun. I haven't found any ammo that it won't digest, so no complaints here.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

It's a great gun... My dad carries one back in Jamaica and I think it has some where above 15,000 rounds in it, never had any issues, that thing is has reliability you can depend on.

Also, if a gun like the M9 was trash, I would wander how it and the Sig Sauer 226 were the ONLY guns out of all the competitors (including the Glock) that passed the military torture testing? Trash it is not...
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by BENZIN View Post
    I was wanting to get a gun for a Security job which is a 9/38 only.

Personely I would go for my 45 in any fight I can plant enuff lead on target to stop any threat ,also the 45 colt came about before the warm fuzzy un nato crap politicains started running the military .
    The Army wanted a lethal gun with alot of knockdown power so COLT handed them the 1911 pistol it has fought in more wars more gun battles so will the 45 put down any agressor YES will a 9mm maby
    Huh? The human body can even sustain multiple hits from a .357mag and still survive... the path of the bullet and the penetration offered are the MOST IMPORTANT factors... spraying and praying with any handgun caliber will fail, shot placement is where it's at.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links