Berreta m9 92?

This is a discussion on Berreta m9 92? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ak-kev From what I understand you are absolutely correct. BUT, isnt that statement based on FMJ? I think the higher end 9mm ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Berreta m9 92?

Quote Originally Posted by ak-kev View Post
    From what I understand you are absolutely correct. BUT, isnt that statement based on FMJ? I think the higher end 9mm hollow points are quite respectable. I believe I read that the DeCalb County Sherriffs Department carry 9mm and love them. Most of Atlanta is in that county I think, so Im sure they're exposed to alot of shootings. Of course they're not using FMJ either. I think they're using Federal's 9BP loading. Just my assumption Kevin.
    I live in DeKalb... it does have a crime problem, just 2 days ago there was a shooting right outside on the main road.

Any how, like I said in the past... to me the .45 vs 9mm argument is nonsensical (I carry both) and when you hear police reports (along with video etc) you see how people can get hit with .45s, .40s, .357mags, 9mm etc and STILL have enough time to return fire, stab etc and KILL you

If a BG got hit even in the heart, they have 10 or so seconds to use enough of their 0xigen remaining in their blood steam to pull a trigger, some times people getting hit in the mid section can even run away or drive away, only to die from the scene of the crime... the "magic bullet" idea is trash that gun writers ("experts" ), "bloggers" and Hollywood believe in. When people get hit by bullets, they don't even "jump back' and a person could get hit AND NOT KNOW they were even shot!

When my dad got car jacked 30 years ago, while running away the gunman shot him 7 times with a 9mm, NONE hitting vital organs. My dad had enough energy to run from house to house seeking help... he showed me the scares and most of them was in his abdomen. He told me he never even knew he got shot until he saw blood etc, but I don't believe the results would have been any different with a .45 because as I said, the path of the bullets were not through vital organs.

If there is no CNS hit, then the perp won't go down for good, and then there is the psychology of the perp (mentally ill, drugs, determined to kill you?)
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

2. Remove Ads

[QUOTE=edr9x23super;729513]Here's another take: The 9mm round was never really designed with stopping or killing in mind, just as the 7.62x39 round was. It was designed to wound primarily, because that takes up more battlefield resources if you have a wounded soldier.
    So, in summary, you have one round designed to wound a person or kill them with a well placed shot, the other designed to kill a horse-sized animal.
    QUOTE]

This is total B.S.! I've heard this before re. the 5.56mm NATO round for the M16; that it was made to wound so that it would take out the person shot, plus four people to carry him off the battlefield... supposedly to even out the Soviet's advantage in troop numbers. baloney! I've read interviews with the original designer of the M16 (Eugene Stoner) and he totally discounted that idea. The purpose of the 5.56mm NATO was to have a high velocity round that allowed the soldier to carry more ammo and have less recoil while still maintaining killing power.
    To try to apply this bogus theory to 9mm is ridiculous. The 9mm Luger is one of the older pistol cartridges around - older than the 45 ACP. When they developed the cartridge it definitely wasn't based around some wounding theory. Even if this "wounding principle" was true for some rifle rounds, who in their right mind would apply that to a pistol cartridge development? Pistols are up close and personal weapons - there is no luxury of distance to allow a wounded soldier to stagger around and be taken to a field hospital - if you wound a person at pistol range, there's a good chance that he's going to keep shooting at you before he decides to lay down and let his buddies treat his wounds. In its introductory time period at the start of the 1900's, it was a very fast, powerful cartidge by those times' standards. It was (and is now) a very effective cartridge - even more so today with the premium hollow point +P loads.

I carry a 92 FS in cool weather, when baggy shirts and jackets conceal it a bit. It's an accurate, safe and reliable pistol. I keep Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHPs in the mag. It's fantastic to shoot, and for an old fart with a bit of arthritis in the wrists, the 9mm is about the only round I am comfortable using for safety reasons.

In July & August, I switch to a CZ P01, which is a bit less obvious under a lightweight shirt than the Beretta. I recognize that on a breezy day, it's apparent that something good sized is under my shirt, but the License is always in my pocket, so I really don't care.

But I am really fond of the Beretta and recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I've got the 92G-SD and after a competition trigger job, use it for IDPA & USPSA shooting. It has functioned flawlessly and performs much better than the shooter...heh.

While I load mags to only 10 rounds for competition, Mec-Gar has some very reliable 18-round flush fit mags that I'd recommend.

The "G" model is decocker only, no safety. The 92G-SD has the heavier Brigadier slide and a rail on the frame. And, it also comes standard with Trijicon night sights.

I had this exact same gun a few years ago...great gun, but heavy...eventually sold it for my first Kimber.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have had my 92F since 1987, great gun, just a little big for concealed carry. I do carry mine starting in the fall and winter month, then change over to a XD for spring and summer.
    Semper Fi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links