Berreta m9 92?

This is a discussion on Berreta m9 92? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so anyone own a berretta M9/92 ? is it a good gun or trash...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Berreta m9 92?

Berreta m9 92?

so anyone own a berretta M9/92 ? is it a good gun or trash
    SIGSAUR 1911 gsr 45
    S a W SIGMA 9mm CRAP
    Ruger 10 22
    Black powder 44 cal revolver

2. Remove Ads

Owned one for a while. Nice gun. Built like a tank. Would carry like one, too.

-JT

Yes, they are reliable and accurate out of the box. Fun to shoot, but personally I would not use one for concealed carry.

The most common issue with these is the trigger reset spring breaking. The factory spring is thin and weak. I replaced mine with a aftermarket coil-type spring and it fixed the issue.

The M9/92 is a very reliable and accurate handgun. They have proven themselves for the past 20 something years being the military's sidearm. Most owners use them as a home defense pistol because of their size and weight but some of us also carry a 92, it's no bigger or heavier than a 1911. Another plus, large capacity mags holding 17rds of 9mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifter View Post

The most common issue with these is the trigger reset spring breaking. The factory spring is thin and weak. I replaced mine with a aftermarket coil-type spring and it fixed the issue.
    I've been around Berettas for many years and have never heard of this one or had a reset spring break. Since the military just ordered another 16,000 M9's to take them through the year 2010, I wouldn't think that they have had this problem either. Maybe it was a bad batch of springs for a few guns and you just happen to get one.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

I really like mine as well. I've NEVER had any type of malfunction with it. I use it as my truck gun. I also use the meg-gar semi flush fit 20rd mags for it. Its too big for me to carry, but like I said, its my truck gun.

Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    I've carried an M9 in Afghanistan. The M9 in and of itself is ok, the Nato 9mm ammo that we used had !NO! stopping power, fortunately my roof gunner had my back. He was intent on dying and taking us with him, the rounds just were not jarring him back. Roof mounted Belt fed 240b stopped him cold. I will never trust a 9mm with my life again. I have never shot anyone with a .45acp but the Spec Ops guys trusted it more than the 9mm, that is enough for me.

The reason the Military is going with the M9 over the 1911 is because it is a NATO round so we can use the same ammo as the allies, strictly logistical/political decision. Had nothing to do with a noble argument of stopping power vs no of rounds in mag.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

I've been around Berettas for many years and have never heard of this one or had a reset spring break. Since the military just ordered another 16,000 M9's to take them through the year 2010, I wouldn't think that they have had this problem either. Maybe it was a bad batch of springs for a few guns and you just happen to get one.
    Personal experiences may vary but I know the trigger return spring issue is by no means an isolated one. For example the INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service) replaced all of their trigger return springs on their issued 92's with a custom coil unit from Wolff. I have personally seen the return spring break on at least 3 Beretta's other than my own. Mine failed after about 500 rounds. One guy at the range who had just picked up his brand new 92 had it break on him half way through his first magazine.

I don't believe this makes the 92/96 a bad weapon. It's just a common problem that one should be made aware of when purchasing. Replacing it with the Wolff conversion unit is a quick and cheap fix and is good insurance against it failing at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I've carried an M9 in Afghanistan. The M9 in and of itself is ok, the Nato 9mm that we used had !NO! stopping power, fortunately my roof gunner had my back. He was intent on dying and taking us with him, the rounds just were not jarring him back. Roof mounted Belt fed 240b stopped him cold. I will never trust a 9mm with my life again. I have never shot anyone with a .45acp but the Spec Ops guys trusted it more than the 9mm, that is enough for me.

The reason the Military is going with the M9 over the 1911 is because it is a NATO round so we can use the same ammo as the allies, strictly logistical/political decision. Had nothing to do with stopping power or no of rounds in mag.

From what I understand you are absolutely correct. BUT, isnt that statement based on FMJ? I think the higher end 9mm hollow points are quite respectable. I believe I read that the DeCalb County Sherriffs Department carry 9mm and love them. Most of Atlanta is in that county I think, so Im sure they're exposed to alot of shootings. Of course they're not using FMJ either. I think they're using Federal's 9BP loading. Just my assumption Kevin.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

I normally love logical arguments, I hate emotional ones. We could argue the .45acp/9mm debate till the cows come home. But this one is personal and emotional. You may be right about the high end 9mm hollow points, but I will not be able to trust them when the time comes. Purely Psychological.

BTW: I keep my pal Mr Colt fed with Winchester Silvertip Hollowpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
    Personal experiences may vary but I know the trigger return spring issue is by no means an isolated one. For example the INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service) replaced all of their trigger return springs on their issued 92's with a custom coil unit from Wolff.
    Did the INS replace the trigger spring because of breakage or did they want to replace the factory trigger spring with a D-spring to reduce the trigger pull in double action?
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I normally love logical arguments, I hate emotional ones. We could argue the .45acp/9mm debate till the cows come home. But this one is personal and emotional. You may be right about the high end 9mm hollow points, but I will not be able to trust them when the time comes. Purely Psychological.

BTW: I keep my pal Mr Colt fed with Winchester Silvertip Hollowpoints.
    I respect your position totally sir, and didnt mean any disrespect at all. All I know is what I read in gun magazines and we all know they can be somewhat agenda led. BTW, thank you for your service!! Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n View Post
    Did the INS replace the trigger spring because of breakage or did they want to replace the factory trigger spring with a D-spring to reduce the trigger pull in double action?
    Breakage.

"The other reliability concern is the trigger return spring. Replacing it is a simple task and cheap insurance" -- Pistol-Training.com
    "This product was developed at the request of INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service), the largest federal law enforcement agency in the country, to solve the problem of trigger spring breakage in their duty weapons." -- Wolff
    "We have seen a number of cases of the trigger return spring breaking under heavy use. We recommend the factory spring be replaced" -- Bill Wilson, IDPA Founder

Here's another take: The 9mm round was never really designed with stopping or killing in mind, just as the 7.62x39 round was. It was designed to wound primarily, because that takes up more battlefield resources if you have a wounded soldier.

On the other hand, John Moses originally designed the 1911 around the .45acp chambering a 200 grain bullet. The military went to a 230 grain bullet because of the cavalry requirement that the pistol had to be capable of bringing down a horse at full gallop at a distance of 25 yards. To date, I don't think the military ever owned up to how they did the testing, but I am sure if they did that nowadays, the Kentucky derby fiasco would pale by comparison.

So, in summary, you have one round designed to wound a person or kill them with a well placed shot, the other designed to kill a horse-sized animal.

Choice seems pretty clear on that one......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Here's another take: The 9mm round was never really designed with stopping or killing in mind, just as the 7.62x39 round was. It was designed to wound primarily, because that takes up more battlefield resources if you have a wounded soldier.

On the other hand, John Moses originally designed the 1911 around the .45acp chambering a 200 grain bullet. The military went to a 230 grain bullet because of the cavalry requirement that the pistol had to be capable of bringing down a horse at full gallop at a distance of 25 yards. To date, I don't think the military ever owned up to how they did the testing, but I am sure if they did that nowadays, the Kentucky derby fiasco would pale by comparison.

So, in summary, you have one round designed to wound a person or kill them with a well placed shot, the other designed to kill a horse-sized animal.

Choice seems pretty clear on that one......
    I agree, in a WWII, a vietnam style argument, or even ship to ship it is called a mission kill, also because other ships will have to help the damaged one it ties up even more assets. That shooting to tie up other personnel is a very valid idea.

The problem that applies to both self defense and today's battlefield against Radical Islam is that they do not care about the injured. A car dropping off 3 people to rob a house, shooting starts and the uninjured flee leaving the injured to go to jail. On the Battlefield of today they go in prepared to die, if the person next to them gets shot, it is just incentive to get closer before they die. Our enemies do not care about human life weather it is theirs, their comrades or innocent civilians. So we are right back to needing the raw stopping power on the battlefield again.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    9mm vs. .45 debate will go on forever.

Inspector is right-not from the standpoint of saying one cartridge is better than the other, but if you read between the lines and see he preffers the .45 to the 9mm then thats all that matters. Personal prefference and competency with the chosen platform is all that matters.

One uses the military argument or horse argument or what ever argument vs. somebody uses the Virginia Tech argument. I don't see the point in argueing opinions on something that really doesn't determine the outcome of a shooting.

In the end shot placement is really what counts when your dealing with a pistol cartridge that is moving relativly slow. Since a .22LR is technically a lethal cartridge (and I'm not sure how you measure lethality? Isn't Dead considered Dead? Compared to a Rifle bullet which can create differn't effects then a slow moving pistol bullet.
    IIRC Even the late great Jeff Cooper said there is "NO" pistol cartridge adequate for defense against a human target. Thats why he was a big advacate of a rifle or shotgun.

I see extremes on both sides of the argument and recognize both; however, looking at the entire picture. 9mm beats a .45 hands down.

Logistics (ammo availbility) Who was the General that said "Amateurs talk tactics Experts Talk logistics?"
    Capacity
    Reliability (not only shooting reliability but life time reliability from an armorers prospective) again this can become a logistic issue causing huge problems. Record service life for a 9mm is much higher then a .45 ACP.
    Ability to make fast follow up shots and control them.
    Cost of each unit and Time associated to make somebody profecient with a platform vs the other, again this is can be a logistic issue.

Again the user and his or her effectivenes is 99.9% of the equation not the equipment but for all the other issues issues out there the 9mm will pretty much win hands down from a cost, reliability (Again I'm talking life time depreciation of the unit), and training for people across the board.

As for the original question I love my 92 f/s wouldn't carry it concealed. I.e to heavy bulky. Theres beauty in plastic!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links