Defensive Carry banner

Anyone carry a S&W AirWeight?

12K views 48 replies 35 participants last post by  snowdoctor 
#1 ·
Reviews? Well built? Pros and Cons?

Any opinions or comments would be appreciated.

PICs woud be great also!

#2 ·
I've had several, ranging from the model 37, to the model 60 in stainless steel. I think you'll do well to get the stainless steel model if you're inro a J Frame 357 mag. The 38 plus Ps are ok in that frame. The older models (37 etc) will lossten up a bit, atfer putting some stout loads thru them.
The 637 seems to have a "painted" finish on it. (it seems to flake off with the used ones that come on trades into the store. Not too sure about the Titainium guns yet. They seem to come in on trades. Maybe because of the recoil they have, using the 357 loads in them

#4 ·
I carry a 642 Airweight Centennial (.38spl. +P). I really like it but some folks find the recoil a bit to sharp for comfort. The small boot grips that come on it help with concealment but there isn't much to hold onto.

I wouldn't want to use a .357 in the Airweight format but for .38spl it rocks! I even used mine to qualify for my carry permit, shot 96% on only the second range trip with the new gun. I can now keep all rounds in at least the 9 ring at 21 feet, a bit looser grouping at greater distances but still inside the silhouette. It'll shoot tighter than that of course but "pilot error" takes its toll.

Can't go wrong with an Airweight J-frame!
Jack

#7 ·
No thanks :wink:

May seem odd seeing as love hand cannons and am somewhat of a recoil junkie. Well, at the high end. Thing is for me with a carry piece is max stability and controllability - this why I go heavy, even large and heavy now.

I would not personally go lighter than my SP with a snub, tho did manage fine with the venerable M85 earlier on. I am even influenced too by some of folks I teach on courses who seem to choose a lightweight as their first gun almost - and can't then shoot even usefully because of the bite.

However - from a comfort POV sure, they are excellent with so much weight saved, and I know many people get on with them fine, but I certainly would not suggest them as a first gun and despite my years of shooting and still fortunately strong grip - they ain't for me.

#11 · (Edited)
My wife carries a Model 340 Sc. Recoil is a bit sharp, but she manages to qualify with it every time so far.She likes it because it is so light to carry. She picked it out and bought it herself, even though I warned her about the recoil.

She has never shot 357 mags in it and I doubt she ever will, she carries 38 +P's and practices with regular 38's. She has shot some +P's, just to make sure the POA is the same.

#14 ·
637 as primary, 1911 for serious work I have not done any serious work in a while, so the 637 is fine. I have not had a finish problem. I bought mine new, no internal lock. I guess it was from an earlier production run. I have it all the time when I carry (can't at work, mental health counselor in school system) I also carried while doing brake work on my wifes car did not notice it. Don't let people tell you its a too small because once those little 38 +P's start coming out of the business end the end they'll move. :cool:

#20 ·
I might be the only one with this thought, but I wish S&W made an Airweight 9mm revolver. Cheap ammo, fast reloads with moonclips and slightly better ballistics over a .38 Spl....oh yeah, I'd be all over that.

(...as SRFL goes online to search for a decent S&W 940.)

#22 ·
srfl said:
I might be the only one with this thought, but I wish S&W made an Airweight 9mm revolver. Cheap ammo, fast reloads with moonclips and slightly better ballistics over a .38 Spl....oh yeah, I'd be all over that.

(...as SRFL goes online to search for a decent S&W 940.)
It's possible to put a 940 cylinder into a 642, making your very own Airweight 9mm (a 942?). There's a fellow over at THR that has done this and is happy with the result.

#26 ·
BlueLion said:
Contact and information please. Secondly, would this damage the gun or make it seem too altered?
The guy's name is Brian Williams. I don't know him other than what he's posted about it. He has some pictures of the conversion here. He said that he can swap between the 9mm and .38 cylinders. If you do a search over there on his user name and 942 you'll find some other posts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.