MK9 Stainless steel guide rod

This is a discussion on MK9 Stainless steel guide rod within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone installed one of these in their MK9, and if so did you have to do any "fitting" like Kahr mentioned on their site? ...

Thread: MK9 Stainless steel guide rod

Has anyone installed one of these in their MK9, and if so did you have to do any "fitting" like Kahr mentioned on their site? Thanks in advance for ya'lls time and input!

Thanks,
    Searn

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I installed one, mine didn't need any fitting but did seem to be very close to tolerance. Have to use pliers to remove the old one and literally broke it in the process. Made me nervous as all get out doing this but in the end it worked fine and does look a lot better. Add some stainless hex grip screws along with wooden grips and it's a beautiful pistol. I certainly do love mine!

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Funny, I had no idea the guide rod was plastic until I was buying it. I never understood why they were selling a SS guide rod lol. Now I know.

What is the benefit?

Stainless steel guide rod

I also replaced my MK9 plastic guide rod with a stainless one purchased from Kahr. It fit right in the gun with no "fitting". I also had to destroy the plastic one to remove it, as it was quite flimsy. The steel guide rod is certainly stronger and looks better. You can see how it looks in the photo below:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

The benefit

The reason that I am looking at going to the stainless rod is when I cleaned it prior to taking it out to shoot for the first time the cap that holds the spring set captive flew across the room. After finding the cap and springs I noticed a crack in the plastic rod where the cap had been attached. Kahr sent a replacement spring assembly without question, however after being burned once I will feel more secure knowing that the stainless rod is threaded and not friction fitted as the plastic ones are. My concern is simply how much fitting is required to make the switch.

Thanks,
    Searn

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Can this modification be done with a PM9? If so, does it add much extra weight?

Thanks.

I have an MK9 and have shot it extensively and like everything about the little pistol. But it galls me that Kahr does not install the stainless guide rod as a matter of course. The MK9 is not an inexpensive gun. It should not come with friggin' plastic parts, especially parts critical to functioning.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    I have an MK9 and have shot it extensively and like everything about the little pistol. But it galls me that Kahr does not install the stainless guide rod as a matter of course. The MK9 is not an inexpensive gun. It should not come with friggin' plastic parts, especially parts critical to functioning.
    You got that right.
    Pretty cheap that all you get is a plastic guide rod for the pretty penny spent on the MK9.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I have also added the stainless steel guide rod. I had no trouble with the installation outside of breaking the plastic rod, just as the other posters. I did not have to make any adjustments to the rod; I've shot the pistol since the installation, and there were no problems.

Links