Glock 23 vs 19 in NY, and question about hi cap mags here

This is a discussion on Glock 23 vs 19 in NY, and question about hi cap mags here within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never cared for the .40 S&W cartridge. For what it accomplishes, it does it at an unnecessarily high pressure and that results in higher ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glock 23 vs 19 in NY, and question about hi cap mags here

I've never cared for the .40 S&W cartridge. For what it accomplishes, it does it at an unnecessarily high pressure and that results in higher felt recoil. When I want a large, heavy round I shoot .45acp.

.230gr standard pressure loads chug along at roughly 850 to 900 fps and deliver one heck of a thump when they arrive at the target. It's less "snappy" than the .40 and in my experience, tends to be more of a straight back shove with a bit of torque than it is muzzle flip.

If you want a large bore gun, in a carry sized package and don't want the hassle of seeking out preban mags, the G30 and newer G30sf come standard with 10 round mags but will still accept the higher capacity G21 mags if you should happen to come across them later on.

That aside, the 9mm G19 still has a lot going for it as others have already mentioned. I'm not sure about your State or Local ammo regulations, can you legally own and use hollow points? If they're available to you then there are several fine options that would serve you well in a defensive situation - I personally carry 115gr. +P Cor-bon DPX in my 9mm but I also really like the 124gr +P Remington Golden Sabers.

If you're restricted to using fmj ammo then I'd suggest going with the .45acp round - large holes leak faster and, without bullet expansion, there's a slightly better chance of hitting critical organs and blood vessels with the larger projectile.

Good luck figuring all this stuff out. Let us know what you ultimately decide to buy (or buy first).
    Jack

2. Remove Ads

just to touch on the post above, there are no restrictions on ammo types here....well there is a state law that states you cannot use armor piercing ammunition with the intent to commit a crime but that doesn't really apply in this case

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Another thought - why buy a gun like a Glock 19 if you are limited to 10 round magazines? You're wasting space in the grip. You could buy a gun designed for a 10 round magazine and it would be a better use of the space.
    In that case, I would surely recommend a Glock 26 or Glock 27. The Glock 26 has a natural capacity of 10 rounds and is exactly like the G19 in just about every way and GAP plates and other pinkie extensions can make the piece completely comfortable, hand-wise.
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Since the OP posted in 2008 my assumption would be he has made that purchase already and quite possibly has died and decomposed; holy thread from the archives. :)
    OD* likes this.

It's not high capacity, it's standard or sub standard ;-)
    High capacity is a gun banners term used to inflict fear on the sheep.

I'd highly recommend a 23C compensated! Virtually no muzzle flip!!!
    And anyone who says they will blind you or anything else is wrong. Very safe very fun!

In God and Glock we Trust
    Attached Images

I wouldn't trust 10-round mags in my G19 or G23. And I certainly wouldn't convert calibers in a gun while used for defense purposes.

If I were you (though I'd NEVER move to New York) I'd buy a G30 and feel exceptionally well armed with 10+1 of .45acp. The G30 is a dream to shoot. Utmost reliability, accuracy, soft-shooting, reasonably compact, potent caliber with decent capacity.

The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Since the OP posted in 2008 my assumption would be he has made that purchase already and quite possibly has died and decomposed; holy thread from the archives. :)
    And he hasn't been back since June 22nd, 2009.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Oh, yeah. Good point.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links