Glock 23 vs 19 in NY, and question about hi cap mags here

This is a discussion on Glock 23 vs 19 in NY, and question about hi cap mags here within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For a first gun choice, would you guys recommend getting the g19 or the g23. Mainly On the basis of in New York we are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glock 23 vs 19 in NY, and question about hi cap mags here

Glock 23 vs 19 in NY, and question about hi cap mags here

For a first gun choice, would you guys recommend getting the g19 or the g23. Mainly On the basis of in New York we are capped at 10 rounds regardless of caliber, so more rounds is not an issue here. 2nd thing I am considering is the fact that I can change barrels and essentially make it a g19 or even a 22. For those that have done this, any problems? Fun to tinker?

This will be used for HD primarily, until a little more experienced to carry.

Also, can anyone comment on the repurcussions of possessing the hi capacity magazines, in house only (will never leave the house). Is this a stupid chance to take legally or would the risk be worth the extra 7 or 9 rounds? Could anyone comment on what I might be looking at God forbid a good shooting took place in the home with hi cap mags. If I am out of line I apologize regarding the legal issue.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    First thing I would do is move to a more friendly state. Not only in terms of guns, but taxes, politics, etc.

OK, now that we got that out of the way, I own both the 19 and the 23. The 19 has way less recoil and is easier to shoot. Also, from what I can gather on this and other forums, a good 9mm cartridge will work just as well as a .40. Since shot placement is much more important than size, the 19 has the advantage as it will allow you to make multiple shots quicker.

You can make the 23 into a 9mm by buying a 9mm conversion kit. Many have done it and have not had a problem, but for home defense where reliability is critical, I wouldn't take the chance. For practice, it will be cheaper to shoot and if you get an occasional malfunction, it will just add to the practice of learning how to clear a malfunctioned pistol.

If you can shoot them both at a range that rents the guns, I would do so. Then you can decide which one feels better to you.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I would recommend a G19 > G23, especially for a first gun.

Suggestions

I have both the G19 and the G23, and the G19 is somewhat easier to shoot because of lower recoil. If you are just getting started, the 9mm G19 will probably be a better choice from a comfort standpoint.

On your magazine capacity question - if you are limited to 10 round magazines by local law, it is probably wise to comply with this law and not run the risk of buying larger magazines out of state, even for in-home use. As you point out, in a shooting everything will be legally scrutinized. And it probably will make absolutely no practical difference whether you have 10 or 15 rounds in your gun, as it would be a rare occurence to use more than 10 in defending yourself.

If the capacity constraint bothers you, just get a second gun and keep it loaded with the first, and you have a "New York reload".

Another thought - why buy a gun like a Glock 19 if you are limited to 10 round magazines? You're wasting space in the grip. You could buy a gun designed for a 10 round magazine and it would be a better use of the space. For example, the H&K P2000sk has a 10 round magazine, I believe. And if you ever get a carry permit it will be easier to conceal than a G19.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Just remember that you are only limited to 10 rounds in NY if the magazine was made AFTER September of 94. There area a lot of standard capacity (15 round) magazines that are preban and 100% legal. I'm in NY and have a G19 (just bought another one yesterday actually) and the mags can be tricky to find every now and then but for the most part they are pretty easy to come by. I just put an ad in the marketplace here actually. Sometimes people outside of NY will be happy to trade their "preban" magazine for another one that is new in the wrapper....both parties win. Don't write off the 19 just because of the capacity....there are many perfectly legal ways around that.

I have 2 G23's, I love that platform. However, for a first gun, go with the G19.
    Easier to shoot, hit target.
    Price of ammo is cheaper
    and A G19 WILL lead to other sidearms later on.......trust me.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by captmarc View Post
    Also, can anyone comment on the repurcussions of possessing the hi capacity magazines, in house only (will never leave the house).
    pre-94 mags perfectly legal and there are no repurcussions of possessing them. post-94 mags are a felony and over a year in a NYS prison.
    Is this a stupid chance to take legally or would the risk be worth the extra 7 or 9 rounds?
    see above...you make the decision..it's a pretty easy one if you ask me.
    Could anyone comment on what I might be looking at God forbid a good shooting took place in the home with hi cap mags.
    again, same answer as above...assuming a justified shooting, nothing would happen if you used preban mags...if you had a post ban mag then you would be prosecuted, found guilty, and sent to prison...after all...you would be the "bad guy"....further, you would probably be sued by the person (or their family) that you shot with your evil baby killing weapon.

I would also recommend the G19, and if you are worried about the magazine capacity, Glock sells factory 10 round limited magazines for the G19. You can also purchase them online at Topglock.com. You may also want to consider the G26 as it is already limited to a 10 round magazine capacity because of its sub compact size. That way you could have a more concealable pistol, especially for summertime when you do decide to carry.
    God bless our troops!

G19 would be my choice in your situation. Easier to shoot ( less recoil ) cheaper ammo means more practice. Buy a G 23 barrel and mag and PRESTO, your G 19 becomes a G23. SIMPLE.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    G19 would be my choice in your situation. Easier to shoot ( less recoil ) cheaper ammo means more practice. Buy a G 23 barrel and mag and PRESTO, your G 19 becomes a G23. SIMPLE.
    I believe you would have to buy a slide as well in order to do a 9mm to 40 s&w conversion.

I would get the G19 as well. It's a fantastic pistol

Glock 19 = BEST GLOCK MADE

I will "echo" what has already been said in favor of the Glock 19, and I don't even like "Plastic Pistols" As far as "Normal Capacity VS Reduced Capacity" magazines, I wouldn't even possess one in my house if I were you.

Why would you want to open that door for possible civil and legal repercussions in your most gun unfriendly state? No matter the caliber, get the 10 Round magazines and move to a better state in the future.

I have shot a 40 once or twice, don't care for it. I prefer to shoot my .357 Magnum Revolver, so I'm no stranger to recoil. There is something about the 40, as a defensive handgun caliber, that I do not warm up to. The 9mm works, as does the 45 acp. I find the 40 S&W to be a poor reinvention of the wheel.

Get the 9mm, go forth and shoot lots at the Range. Take care and stay safe. BTW: The best way to "stay safe' is to take a safety class prior to buying the gun.

Biker

If I was limited to a magazine capacity of only ten rounds, I'd go with the 40cal for carry. Granted, 9mm is cheaper and therefore more likely to be practiced with more often. In the compact Glocks (G19 or G23), I see no issue with either being the "first" pistol. While the G19 will be more frugal and may be a slight bit easier to shoot, learning to shoot the larger caliber, and shooting it well would be in your best interest. Those who start with a 9mm are hard to get weaned off it as they become accustomed to the softer recoil and higher capacity (in some instances), and disdain the larger calibers when testing them out as they don't 'feel' like the 9mm they are used to. Think outside the box IMO. Now--if we were talking the sub-compacts i.e. G26/G27, I'd say start with the 9mm (G26). With either the G26 or G27-the magazine capacity limit of ten is of no consequence. My 2

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    Just remember that you are only limited to 10 rounds in NY if the magazine was made AFTER September of 94. There area a lot of standard capacity (15 round) magazines that are preban and 100% legal. I'm in NY and have a G19 (just bought another one yesterday actually) and the mags can be tricky to find every now and then but for the most part they are pretty easy to come by. I just put an ad in the marketplace here actually. Sometimes people outside of NY will be happy to trade their "preban" magazine for another one that is new in the wrapper....both parties win. Don't write off the 19 just because of the capacity....there are many perfectly legal ways around that.
    One would be to learn to reload faster.............YouTube - Fast reloading
    One day grasshopper.....Geez, that was fast.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Find the old style pre-ban mags and there will be no issue possessing them in NYS.

Thank you everyone for great advice. I have decided to get the g19, g23, and g21sf, all at the same time, as this seems to be the only choice a reasonable man would make in this situation!

Never thought the caliber decision would be such a tough one, guess I need to get to the range and rent all of them. I have a feeling they will all be mine soon anyway. Appreciate all of your imput.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links