Any Way To Talk Me Out Of A P-3AT?

This is a discussion on Any Way To Talk Me Out Of A P-3AT? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cupcake If you were fighting for your life, and your gun is at home because it was too big to conceal adequately ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Way To Talk Me Out Of A P-3AT?

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    If you were fighting for your life, and your gun is at home because it was too big to conceal adequately for your circumstances, you'll wish you had a keltec.

Make no mistake: It is not a combat pistol. It is, however, a pistol that works and is incredibly concealable. Although I prefer my XD, my P3AT gets a ton of carry time because of it's concealability.
    I agree that there are times that some people may have a hard time carrying a real pistol (for example: UC cops, people in non-permissive environments, etc.).
    However, it seems that many people who carry these things do so because they're too lazy or too concerned with comfort to carry a better weapon. Yeah, it may be a little uncomfortable to carry a real gun when it's 100-degrees and you may have to alter your wardrobe slightly (shouldn't be a big deal if you're not required to dress a certain way), but to me it's worth it.
    I've got a 2" .38 that I hardly ever carry (except as a BUG) because I am willing to put up with a little less comfort to carry a gun that's a whole lot better (glock 19 or 17).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

I don't carry it much anymore since my smart carry rig conceals so well, but it did get some use on church days....until that shoot out at the church happened... Now my casual wear tends to be a revolver or glock 27. Revolver disappears in SC and Glock isn't much worst.
    Mine is very reliable. It's a point blank range gun. Kinda like he's in your face, arms reach, and thats where the shot goes. It's a great back up, if you feel you need one.
    .380 is better then nothing, but there are many other calibers that might do the job. Size wise you wont find anything smaller.
    I keep mine around so I can say I've got a .380 caliber. I like having options.
    For the price you could make much more costly mistakes. Worst thing happens is a few months from now it starts collecting dust in your gun safe. If you don't get it you might never know.

EW3
    I had one for a short while. I really wanted to like this gun, but it was a disaster; jammed every couple of rounds, no matter how much cleaning, lubing, "fluffing and buffing", and so on. I own other .380s and know all about "limp wristing", and wasn't doing this either. Other people have had few problems, but this little gun has a reputation as being one that many people got frustrated with and got rid of.

I'm hearing that the P32 is much more reliable and doesn't have the problems that the P3AT has. I am going to be picking one of these up while I wait for my Ruger LCP.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Go for it! The P3AT is the one that may save your bacon because it is so easy to always have with you.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Air,Land&Sea View Post
    Tomorrow's "Buy A Gun Friday" and I was thinking about a P-3AT plus a few boxes of DPX's and Golden Sabers. Any reason not to?
    Thanks.
    Not that I can think of!

" If you were fighting for your life, is that the gun you want to depend on?

If the answer is no, don't buy it.

If the answer is yes, rethink it. "

This response is both amusing and timely. I have a P3AT for times when I can't manage to conceal a Smith & Wesson larger K-Frame .38 Special revolver. It isn't my "always" gun though because it certainly wouldn't be my first self-defense choice.

My 2nd generation P3AT was a bit of a bear, taking a good while to smooth out and function dependably, but it finally did become a reliable self-defense handgun choice for me. Now it's dependable with everything but Wolf round nosed ammunition. It may be limp-wristed with the most insecure hold possible yet still shoot every time the trigger is pulled. For some reason I find the P3AT to be less punishing to shoot than other .380 pistols I've owned or used in the past. I loathe the DAO trigger but that's the only way to get .380 capability in handguns of such a small size. The uneven spots on the top of the slide that pass for sights could be better defined but if one really bears down and pays attention the pistol will shoot decent short range groups. The wretched trigger is more of a hindrance than are the sights in this regard.

The pistol represents a choice. You bring the Kel-Tec into your stable it gives you a choice that you didn't have before, and it will be the right choice every now and then when you can't realistically carry your larger pieces.

Hey - even if you never carry it, it's cool to have.

~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

I have had the .380 for a few months and the .32 for about 9 years. Both work! Just know there limits - great back-up / 2nd / 3rd gun. However, they are great if deep cover is required. Just put 200 - 300 rounds thru it to insure it functions. I have many other cc guns but these hide great.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I wouldn't try to, but would suggest you at least look at the Ruger LCP to see which of the two you like better. I have both. 1st gen P3AT was a nightmare but it helped prove that keltec has oustanding customer service. The 2nd generation was a good gun for me! But I do like the looks of the LCP better and I think it's got better fit and finish and feels just a tad better in the hand because it's a hair wider.

They (P3AT or LCP) are the perfect little pocket pistol.
    Gideon, just curious on how you like the absents of sights on the LCP ? I have one also and love it. I was shooting some very BLACK targets and could not seperate the black gun from the black target. So I got some good oil base paint and with a paper clip tip I put a dot on the front and 2 on the rear. It works great. You do need a steady hand though. Stay Safe.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    The pistol represents a choice. You bring the Kel-Tec into your stable it gives you a choice that you didn't have before, and it will be the right choice every now and then when you can't realistically carry your larger pieces.

Hey - even if you never carry it, it's cool to have.
    The winning post.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

I really like the Bersa CC 380 much better....if I was going to carry a 380 as my CCW (which i wouldn't) it would be the Bersa ...but I do own a few.
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

While we're at it, some DPX, Golden Saber and American Eagle (for practice)? Maybe a few boxes of Hornady? Did I miss any?
    I have a bunch of Black Hills, Gold Dot and HST for my other calibers so I'd like to mix it up a bit by trying some others (in .380).
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

Talk you out of it?? Ok, here goes....THE PRICE OF 380 AMMUNITION!!! It's 29. bucks for a box of 100.(WWB) That's the same as 45acp!!! It's outrageous. Other than that...go for it. (I also like the idea of "buy a gun friday"
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

I had one a few years ago, got rid of it because of jamming/reliability issues. A friend of mine picked one up at at Tampa gun show a few weeks back, jammed /would not cycle properly send it back to keltec then sold it. You would be much better off with glock 26 or even a 5 shot S&W snubbie than a keltec. For me keltecs just don't work. Reliability is the key and nothing says that like a glock 26!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links