Kel-tec PF-9 pros/cons

This is a discussion on Kel-tec PF-9 pros/cons within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is really good to hear. I understand that Kel-Tec has a lifetime warranty, is this correct? Also, If I were to buy a PF9 ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kel-tec PF-9 pros/cons

This is really good to hear.

I understand that Kel-Tec has a lifetime warranty, is this correct? Also, If I were to buy a PF9 version 1.0 as a first buyer and then send it into kel-tec for all of the upgrades, would they charge me or would it be covered by the warranty?

Would it be better to buy an old version brand new and get the upgrades or buy the newest version? I figure I could talk the price down if it needed a lot of upgrades. Not so much with the current version.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    This is really good to hear.

I understand that Kel-Tec has a lifetime warranty, is this correct? Also, If I were to buy a PF9 version 1.0 as a first buyer and then send it into kel-tec for all of the upgrades, would they charge me or would it be covered by the warranty?

Would it be better to buy an old version brand new and get the upgrades or buy the newest version? I figure I could talk the price down if it needed a lot of upgrades. Not so much with the current version.
    Q : What kind of warranty does Kel-Tec provide?
    A : The exact warranty terms and conditions can be found in the back of the instruction manual that came with your Kel-Tec product. It usually covers defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the product and for the ORIGINAL OWNER only. Only Kel-Tec manufactured products are covered by this warranty, for exact details please consult your manual or download a copy here.

That is straight from the Keltec website. Now how they would know if you are the original owner or not, I'm not sure because I did not have a warranty card come with my pistol. If it was me, I don't like to inherit someone elses problem so I would probably spend a little more cash and buy new as opposed to a used one. On gunbroker right now, used PF-9's are going to $250 and brand new ones are going for $270. So for $20 more you can have a brand new pistol, to me that's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by conwic View Post
    Well, you may soon get your chance to buy one then. According to a reliable source on KTOG, that issue is being addressed in a design change which will be out somewhere after R98xx. ( June or July?) The length of reset is unchanged but the hammer will no longer drop if you short stroke the trigger. You short stroke and nothing happen, then you release the trigger, it resets, and you pull again for a boom. Same change for P-32 and P-3AT's as well. ( In fact, I think the P-3AT's will come out first -with a slide hold open as well- in order to compete with the new Ruger 380.) Metal magazine release at that time as well so you will no longer have to depress the release when you load a mag.

I have a PF-9 with app 900 rounds through it, two handed, strong handed, weak handed. I have found my gun accurate, very managable in rapid fire, and quite reliable - except with 147 grain rounds. Since I was use ot the long trigger on the P-11, I had no problem with short stroking the trigger. I did have one bad mag which Kel Tec replaced. (I don't think that Megar has done as well with the mags as Kel Tec did with the gun.) Plus one on NO dry firing without snap cap. The bad mag wasn't locking back the slide when the mag was empty so I kept pulling the trigger. Eventually I broke the firing pin that way. Easy to replace the pin, but like Hot Guns said, you will bugger up the franken bolt and it is a huge PITA to fix.

I find the PF-9 to be a pocket gun in loose fitting jeans, cargo pants, or cargo shorts. Since it is the same length and height and narrower than a J frame, you can carry it in any pocket you can use for a J Frame. It also shines in IWB due ot its thinness.

Hope this helps
    Regards- conwic
    wow thanks for the information conwic!!! I'll surely pick one up then!!! I think they are a deal for sure, this was just a big issue for me (apparently it was for others too since they are issuing a design change). I would love to have one if they fixed this!!!

Distinguished Member
    PF-9 was my 2 CCW gun purchase. It has it's place, the best it offers is it's narrowness. Mine has been reliable with the exception of 1 cartridge, the primer was hit, but it did not fire, it was the cheap S & B practice ammo.

I carry it when the 380 might seem a little under gunned, and the XD is more than I want to conceal.

Recommendation----buy it.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I have a PF9. I can hit well with it at decent distances (21-30 yds). It's a great gun for pockets, inside jacket pocket, etc. I also carry it IWB. I can carry it at times and in clothes that I could not carry an XD, etc. Mine functions fine with no issues and have had it now for 6 mo's. My accuracy with it at longer distances are not as good as I am with an XD and others. But, it's better than about any 'small' gun that I"ve shot.

Now, the bad..... it's not a range gun by any means. Shooting numerous shots, and my wrist pays for it. So, it's not (to me anyway) a gun to go down to the range and put a lot of rounds thru it.

To me, it's much better than a P3.... and avoids another ammo (too many going now). I like it has 7+1 shots & carry 2 extra clips, and easy to put into a pocket holster and slip it into my pocket if I want.

+1 to after about 75-100 rounds your hand will hurt.

Other than that, I have no issues at all with mine. It shoots a little high (2"and to the left (2") but the grouping is very good (3 inches at 15 yards)
    Never a single misfire, jam or anything in +/-350 rounds with about half being JHP.
    At .88 inches for the width it is so easy to conceal
    it goes bang every time
    at $260 out the door (NEW) what else can I say.
    And Kel-tec service is great. I live about 5 miles from the plant and their walk up service is in by 9AM out by 4PM and often they will just say, can you come back in an hour or so. I haven't needed to use service, but a buddy had some problems with a gen 1 P3AT and they fixed it while he waited. And I have only heard good things from people who don't live close and have to mail for service.

Yeah, similar to what I've heard.

Question: If you bought a brand new generation 1 pf9, could you send it in for all of the upgrades to bring it to the latest edition at no cost? Or would you have to pay for the upgrades?

After reading these posts I've looked at some keltecs online and the 9mm for a bug or carry gun in light clothing is looking pretty attractive
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Unless u buy one w/below S#R4xxx, it should have all mods. If u buy a new one w/lower S# from dealer, think KT will take it back for undates. I haven't sent R02xx back because the two main updates, longer barrel ramp & walking ejector pin have so far been addressed by me by mirror polishing ramp, chamber, widening out opening of ejector pin & pushing it back in flush w/frame & sealed w/loctite. Trigger has lightened up to where I don't want to send it back unless I have to. Don't wanna start over breaking in "new gun". My ejector pin fix has held up for 500+ rds and it feeds 124 GD & GS+p fine. Doesn't like DPX though.

What's the reason why you cant use +p constantly?

Uncertain whether the reliability issues I've seen, so far, with my PF-9 are endemic to the design, or merely v1.0 blues.

I picked one up several weeks ago, inexpensively. Thought I would wring it out on the range, to see what it was like, what it could do. Have had several light primer strikes with failures to fire; a couple failures to eject; and a strange change to the amount of trigger reset travel, depending on which round was being fired in a magazine. On the reset travel, a given round might be followed by extremely short reset, while the next might be either way (short or long), and the following one different still. No discernible pattern. All of this with less than 50rds through it. It's relatively new, so I doubt the springs are all wonky, though swapping them out is an option. I have not yet given it much chance, so it's a bit unfair at this point to treat it too harshly.

I've had one other KelTec, a P3AT. The size of the package is unmached by anything else out there, IMO, save possibly the Rohrbaugh 9mm. But on the P3AT, I just had a piece break, and it's now not cycling or firing because of it.

Two for two isn't good odds, in my book. It's intolerable when a life is potentially hanging in the balance because of it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

mchaley, KT recommends "limited use" of +p and in a 12 oz. 9mm, I don't want to shoot a lot although I don't "feel" a lot of difference in WWB practice ammo and +ps.

[QUOTE=ccw9mm;734697] Have had several light primer strikes with failures to fire; a couple failures to eject; and a strange change to the amount of trigger reset travel, depending on which round was being fired in a magazine. On the reset travel, a given round might be followed by extremely short reset, while the next might be either way (short or long), and the following one different still. No discernible pattern.

The combination of light primer strikes and apparent change in trigger reset distance suggests you might be short stroking the trigger. When the hammer block engages it can feel like a reset. Some owners- usually those use to handguns with short trigger reset like the Glock- can mistake that feel for the later true reset where the hammer is cocked. Pulling the trigger immediately after the hammer block reset but before the true reset will let the hammer drop a short distance and will make a shallow dimple on the primer but will not fire the round. See page 12 of your PF-9 manual under misfires. Concentrate on allowing the trigger to fully reset, to go as far forward as it will until you become use to the trigger. Odd that you would not have this problem with your P-3AT since it has the same trigger, but it is the only thing I can think of that fits your description. As I mention before, Kel Tec is also planning a design change to eliminate this problem.

Failure to eject might be because the extractor is dirty or the franken bolt on the gun's right side ( part 183) that holds the extractor spring tight is loose. Clean under the extractor and CAREFULLY with MINIMIUM PRESSURE tighten the bolt with the "L" shaped wrench that comes with the gun. Too much pressure will strip the bolt. That would be a bad thing. If that doesn't do it, look at how the magazine is feeding, erratical feeding, some rounds too slow or too soon, can make it hard for the ejector to grab hold of the rim and give you a failure to extract. Kel Tec will direct exchange magazines if they are a problem.

However, if your gun is a serial number R3Oxx ( R3 letter o)or below and hasn't been updated , you might just as well send it back to Kel Tec for the extractor problems and for the ejector roll pin ( part 436)walking toward the hammer and eventually blocking it. This was a design error that was corrected by a change to the frame last year. If updated, you will see only half the roll pin visible from the hammer side. If you can see the whole pin once the slide is off by slightly moving the hammer back, then it needs to go back. Kel Tec has been reimburing for shipping if you call them and ask. But the pin needs to be sticking out on the hammer side for them to do this ( hint! hint!) Also, they accept all guns back under warranty, but are really only bound to do that for the original owner. Since there are no warrenty cards , the only way they would know if you are not the original owner is if you volunteer that information. They never ask to my knowledge.

Sorry to hear that your P-3AT is broken. All I suggest is to send it back to Kel Tec.

Hope this is of some help
    Regards-conwic

"What's the reason why you cant use +p constantly?"

Bear-in-mind that +p rounds should never be used in a Rohrbaugh R9.

[QUOTE=hayley;735212]"What's the reason why you cant use +p constantly?"QUOTE]

You can if you want too. You'll just wear the gun out sooner. Kel Tec makes lightweight concealment guns, guns with the highest possible power to weight ratio. Like all guns , they are a compromise. Specifically, they sacrifice long life for light weight. It's a cumlative thing rather than a " your gun will blow up " thing. These guns are prooffed with rounds far above +P pressure levels.

I've shot two P-11's to destruction in the 12 years I've been using them. Both were rebuilt under warrenty by Kel Tec, and I am still shooting both those guns today. When I sent the first one in, the gunsmith said that the expected life was at least 6,000 standard pressure rounds. Using +P simply lessens that number since +P have up to 10% greater internal pressure - besides beating up on your hands a lot more than standard pressure.

I did my own non scientific test firing a pair of 124 gr +p and a pair of 124 gr standard Gold Dots from my P-11 ( same barrel length as PF-9) into a fackler box years ago to get some idea how much difference +p made in penetration and expansion. The answer was - for my P-11 at least- not that much. It simply isn't worth the wear on the gun or on me to use +P as far as I could see. ( Not to mention the longer recovery time between shots with +P.)

conwic

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links