Kel-tec PF-9 pros/cons - Page 3

Kel-tec PF-9 pros/cons

This is a discussion on Kel-tec PF-9 pros/cons within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by conwic Originally Posted by ccw9mm Have had ... a strange change to the amount of trigger reset travel, depending on which round ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kel-tec PF-9 pros/cons

Quote Originally Posted by conwic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Have had ... a strange change to the amount of trigger reset travel, depending on which round was being fired in a magazine. On the reset travel, a given round might be followed by extremely short reset, while the next might be either way (short or long), and the following one different still. No discernible pattern.
    The combination of light primer strikes and apparent change in trigger reset distance suggests you might be short stroking the trigger.
    No, that isn't it. During testing to attempt to sort out the issue and be certain I'd seen what I had seen, each and every release of the trigger was done to allow full travel, to explore exactly that possibility.

As for the light primer strikes, I can't quite envision how a possible short stroking of the trigger would cause a light strike. Either the trigger resets or not. If it does, the full weight of the firing pin should be released at the next trigger pull, right?? If one were to fail to allow the trigger to reset, I would think the gun wouldn't be cocked and the firing pin wouldn't be "fired" at all, by design.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No, that isn't it. During testing to attempt to sort out the issue and be certain I'd seen what I had seen, each and every release of the trigger was done to allow full travel, to explore exactly that possibility.

As for the light primer strikes, I can't quite envision how a possible short stroking of the trigger would cause a light strike. Either the trigger resets or not. If it does, the full weight of the firing pin should be released at the next trigger pull, right?? If one were to fail to allow the trigger to reset, I would think the gun wouldn't be cocked and the firing pin wouldn't be "fired" at all, by design.
    From what I've learned, R98xx numbers and up have that problem worked out. Below R98xx have the problem where the hammer only half cocks and the trigger cocks it the rest of the way. By not allowing the trigger to fully reset, the hammer is pretty much going off half cocked, thus light primer strike.

Sorry my suggest was no help. As for above, please take a look at page 12 of the PF-9 manual under misfires where it says " Another potential cause is that the trigger is not allowed to fully reset after being pulled. The hammer is then dropped from the hammer block, which will not fire the cartridge."

Reading page 6 and 7 which describe the cycling might also help. It explains how the hammer is held at a partial cock by the hammer block and then fully cocked and released when the trigger is pulled. Gun fires, slide cycles rearward and then forward with hammer moving with it. The hammer block engages the hammer as the hammer follows the slide forward and holds the hammer ( now partially cocked) to prevent it from following the slide all the way forward as it chambers a round. The trigger must be allowed go all the way forward before the trigger bar connecting trigger to the hammer reengages the hammer. Until it reengages, the only thing holding the hammer is the hammer block. So short stroking is able to drop the hammer from the hammer block since the hammer block is the only thing connected to the trigger at that point.

The design change to eliminate some of this reset problem is due out around R98XX. However, those guns will not appear until June at best. Even then, the hammer is still held at a partial cock by the hammer block as the slide cycles forward and then fully cocked and released ( and hammer block released) when the trigger is pulled. The hammer block, a safety feature necessary to make the gun drop safe and prevent slam fires, remains in use. You will still be able to short stroke the trigger if you do not allow the trigger to go fully forward. But under the change, the hammer will no longer fall from the hammer block when you short stroke and thus there is no need to cycle the slide before pulling the trigger again. You just release the trigger and pull again for a boom.

conwic

I don't own the .380 version but purchased the p32 (32acp version) 2 weeks ago... the trigger is surprisingly very good and I got it for a deep concealment option and a BUG. Only had 50 rounds through it though but it's accuracy is good and looked like a great deal for less than $300... found it fun to shoot too, and I was not expecting that considering how small it is etc.

I too have a later S/N PF9 and love the size & weight. There are no other options in the price range, the size & the weight in a 9mm with the same capacity as the PF9. I got out the door NIB for $280. Some will find them a little less. I have put a few hundred rounds through it. It is a great gun for deep concealment. It is not the most enjoyable gun to shoot at the range. I just alternate the PF9 when shooting it at the range. Slide bite will happen if you are not careful. I carry this gun more than any others just because it is so easy.

any idea when the new pf9's will roll out? I heard June but I'm wondering about exact date.

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    any idea when the new pf9's will roll out? I heard June but I'm wondering about exact date.
    June was just an educated guess. It was based on the latest serial number I have seen on KTOG, which was R90xx bought on the 25th of May. I figure at least a week , more likily two, for that gun to get from the manufacturer to the dealer thru a wholesaler . Figure that app 600 PF-9's are being made a week. So, based on those assumptions, the first revised gun has quite likily already been made or will be made this week. (But you still have to figure on a week or two for distribution.) There was a May 15th comment from the source at Kel Tec that guns with this mod were being shipped, but from context of the thread, I believe he was referring specifically to the P3AT. ( Which was to be the first one to get the mod. )

When the revised gun arrives in your area probably depends more on shipping times and on your dealer's relationship with his wholesaler or on whether or not the wholesaler or the dealer already has some PF-9s on hand that he needs to sell first than on what day Kel Tec made them. Supply is still running behind demand in many places.

I'm afraid that you will just have to keep an eye out for serial numbers after R9800.

Regards conwic

June was just an educated guess. It was based on the latest serial number I have seen on KTOG, which was R90xx bought on the 25th of May. I figure at least a week , more likily two, for that gun to get from the manufacturer to the dealer thru a wholesaler . Figure that app 600 PF-9's are being made a week. So, based on those assumptions, the first revised gun has quite likily already been made or will be made this week. (But you still have to figure on a week or two for distribution.) There was a May 15th comment from the source at Kel Tec that guns with this mod were being shipped, but from context of the thread, I believe he was referring specifically to the P3AT. ( Which was to be the first one to get the mod. )

When the revised gun arrives in your area probably depends more on shipping times and on your dealer's relationship with his wholesaler or on whether or not the wholesaler or the dealer already has some PF-9s on hand that he needs to sell first than on what day Kel Tec made them. Supply is still running behind demand in many places.

I'm afraid that you will just have to keep an eye out for serial numbers after R9800.

Regards conwic
    I will do that. With any luck the dealer wont know what he/she has :P

Do you think you could talk down the price on sub r98xx models? I think I asked before but I didn't get a clear answer so I'll ask again: If I buy a sub r98xx model, can I send it into Kel-Tec and receive the upgrades at no cost?

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    Do you think you could talk down the price on sub r98xx models? I think I asked before but I didn't get a clear answer so I'll ask again: If I buy a sub r98xx model, can I send it into Kel-Tec and receive the upgrades at no cost?
    I doubt it. When Kel Tec went to the second generation P3AT/32 ( franken bolt extractor), they specifically stated that they would not change working first generation guns into second generation ones on request. Just too many guns out there for that sort of thing to be practical. I suspect it will be the same for PF-9's. However, if something breaks, then they will replace it with newest parts.

So, I suppose that there is a possibility that if you specifically bought an older pre -R3Oxx ( R3letter O) which had the known walking ejector pin problem, they would certainly - if the pin was walking- replace it with the new frame to remedy the pin and MIGHT do the mod on the trigger as well. But that's not a certainy, and, even if they did, I doubt if the amount of money you would save this way is really worth the trouble.

Personally, I've never found short stroking to be a problem, but then I m use to the long pull on the P-11.

Regards-conwic

I doubt it. When Kel Tec went to the second generation P3AT/32 ( franken bolt extractor), they specifically stated that they would not change working first generation guns into second generation ones on request. Just too many guns out there for that sort of thing to be practical. I suspect it will be the same for PF-9's. However, if something breaks, then they will replace it with newest parts.

So, I suppose that there is a possibility that if you specifically bought an older pre -R3Oxx ( R3letter O) which had the known walking ejector pin problem, they would certainly - if the pin was walking- replace it with the new frame to remedy the pin and MIGHT do the mod on the trigger as well. But that's not a certainy, and, even if they did, I doubt if the amount of money you would save this way is really worth the trouble.

Personally, I've never found short stroking to be a problem, but then I m use to the long pull on the P-11.

Regards-conwic
    Sounds good. Thanks for the info!

It seems to me that Kel-Tec is a pretty reliable weapon once you figure the quarks out. Lots of practice is necessary with any weapon system so a few little bugs unique to kel-tec shouldn't be a problem. Plus their lifetime warranty is pretty nice too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links