Kel-tec PF-9 pros/cons

Kel-tec PF-9 pros/cons

This is a discussion on Kel-tec PF-9 pros/cons within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm strongly looking to get a kel-tec pf-9. Are there any problems with Kel-tec? Aside from the feel, I think it's a pretty nice little ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kel-tec PF-9 pros/cons

Kel-tec PF-9 pros/cons

I'm strongly looking to get a kel-tec pf-9. Are there any problems with Kel-tec? Aside from the feel, I think it's a pretty nice little weapon. The grip is a bit awkward but I'm sure you can get used to it.

Really, I'd like to know any problems, benefits, whether or not you think it was a good buy, etc. If not, what would you have bought instead?

What role do you envision for this pistol? Primary EDC? BUG?

How do you intend to carry it?

As far as Kel-tecs in general, I don't like them, wouldn't own one, and think that there are better options regardless of the intended purpose, but to each his own.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    Aside from the feel, I think it's a pretty nice little weapon. The grip is a bit awkward but I'm sure you can get used to it.
    For me, there is no 'aside from the feel'. Some guns I place in my hand and know I have to have it. Others feel like a brick and I know I wouldn't be happy with it.

There are plenty of options in that class. I would never buy a weapon that felt awkward to me.

A carry gun must meet ALL of my priorities..

Reliability.
    Functionality.
    Concealability.
    Feel/Point-ability.
    Shootability(i.e. managable recoil, with fast follow up shots.)

Sights I can change later, and I guess you could change grips, which might help with your awkwardness, but the first time I pick up a firearm, I just know if it's compatible with me.

Awkward and carry gun do not belong in the same sentence.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    For me, there is no 'aside from the feel'. Some guns I place in my hand and know I have to have it. Others feel like a brick and I know I wouldn't be happy with it.

There are plenty of options in that class. I would never buy a weapon that felt awkward to me.

A carry gun must meet ALL of my priorities..

Reliability.
    Functionality.
    Concealability.
    Feel/Point-ability.

Sights I can change later, and I guess you could change grips, which might help with your awkwardness, but the first time I pick up a firearm, I just know if it's compatible with me.

Awkward and carry gun do not belong in the same sentence.

Agreed.
    However when comparing the single stack pf9 with the high cap XD and G26 it's going to feel noticeably different. I'm not sure if awkward was the right word to describe it. Still I'd like to look around.

I'd like to find a PF9 owner to talk about their opinions on:
    Reliability.
    Functionality.
    Concealability.
    Feel/Point-ability.

I like the PF-9...or at least the idea of it...It is small, reliable (the newest generation is anyway), and very easy to conceal. BUT it has one very large con that outweighed all of the others for me and that big con made me pass it up as a backup pistol. The trigger resets on this gun in such a way that after you fire it you can get light primer strikes if you only reset the trigger partially. I'm used to practicing trigger reset on my glocks which don't move all that far. The possibility exists, that in the heat of the moment under a stressful situation that you would not reset the (very long) trigger 100% and get a light strike. That is a design flaw in my opinion. I would buy one if they addressed this issue though.

Keltec pistols have a spotty record, sometimes you wind up with a lemon, but if you do get one from a reliable batch, it is a gem to carry. Do a search on the PF9 and you will see what I mean.
    God bless our troops!

Here you go...

I'd like to find a PF9 owner to talk about their opinions on:
    Reliability.
    Any gun with SN R6xxxx or above has been reliable per information from KTOG.org. I have a R6xxxx gun and it is very reliable in a couple hundred of rounds.

Functionality.

I have not had any function problems at all.

Concealability.

This is the strong point of this gun. You can pocket carry the gun, IWB or OWB and it is not there. It is very thin with shorter grip so very easy for pocket, appendix or traditional carry.

Feel/Point-ability.

The gun functions well and for my large hands and short trigger finger it feels surprisingly good. The trigger is better than any other Kel-tec (I have all 4) but still long DAO.

It is a 14 OZ gun so it is snappy but I have not had any problems with it. A good grip handles the recoil and follow up shots are not a problem.

The sights are good for as small of a gun as it is.

The bottom line is... would I recommend it? Yes for any R6xxxx gun is a great carry gun.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I've had a PF-9 for about four months now. My own personal experience has been good.

I bought it new so it's a later model. I think you'd want to get a new one because the model underwent some changes as they worked the bugs out. You can find details on ktog.org.

When I first bought it, I went out in the field behind the house and ran two mags of WWB through it with no malfunctions. I then did a "fluff & buff" as outlined on the ktog.org site. Since then I've fired about a hundred rounds of various WWB and some older Hydrashocks (to get rid of them) through it with no problems at all. I've heard they don't like the heavier (147gr?) bullets for some reason.

At seven yards I was able to shoot around 3" groups that were centered about 1-1/2" to the left. The front sight is drift adjustable so if I feel inclined I could fix it.

Although I've never had to use it, I understand that Kel-tec's customer service is first-rate. I've had nothing but good experience with it so far.

This little gun fits a perfect niche in that I carry it whenever the wide XDsc is just a bit too bulky, like in the summer under certain clothing and in places I really don't want to be accidentally "made". I have no reservations about carrying it as a primary weapon. Of course, I don't live in a war zone either. If I were to visit any of the large nearby cities, I'd probably go a little heavier.

Go to ktog.com. There is all kind of info on this pistol. The good,the bad, & the ugly. I had a P-11 for a while. Like you, the first time I picked it up, it just didn't feel comfortable to me. I never could get used to it. To me, when I pick up a pistol, it has to feel like pointing my finger at something. The Kahr CW40 I own now, feels that way to me. I had a Taurus PT145 once. When I would pick it up, my thumb would naturally sit on the mag release. After about the 2nd shot I would drop the mag out of it. My point is, find something that feels good when you grab and point it. Hope this helps.
    Wayne

Senior Moderator
    I've got one and I've put a few hundered rounds through it. So far, it works well.

The best thing about it is that its light, flat and easy to carry. I carry it alot. I made myself an ITW Kydex holster and I carry it everywhere...because if you dont carry it, it does you no good.

Cons...
    Dont fry fire it. I did and broke the firing pin. Kel Tec service was great, I had the parts in 3 days. The problem is, if you break the pin,you'll peen over the screw that holds the extractor spring and the keeps the firing pin in postition and more than likely you will strip out the tiny allen head when trying to change it.If you do that, you'll need a machinist to get it out. You can avoid that by not dry firing it.

The trigger sucks, but its better than the rest of the Kel Tecs.

The grip can be small or awkward for those like me with big hands. I've got the pinky extension on mine, and that makes it alot better.

For a gun to be that small, that lightweight and that concealable, and to be an 8 shot 9mm. it really makes all of the smaller calibers obsolete...and I am a firm beleiver in shooting the biggest caliber you can master for self defense.

With another mag, you cna carry a total of 15 rounds of 9mm in a very small package.

Thats not a bad thing.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I got one and it goes BANG everytime I pull the trigger. Easy to carry in a Crossbreed Super-Tuck Deluxe and a good belt.

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    I like the PF-9...or at least the idea of it... that big con made me pass it up as a backup pistol. The trigger resets on this gun in such a way that after you fire it you can get light primer strikes if you only reset the trigger partially. That is a design flaw in my opinion. I would buy one if they addressed this issue though.
    Well, you may soon get your chance to buy one then. According to a reliable source on KTOG, that issue is being addressed in a design change which will be out somewhere after R98xx. ( June or July?) The length of reset is unchanged but the hammer will no longer drop if you short stroke the trigger. You short stroke and nothing happen, then you release the trigger, it resets, and you pull again for a boom. Same change for P-32 and P-3AT's as well. ( In fact, I think the P-3AT's will come out first -with a slide hold open as well- in order to compete with the new Ruger 380.) Metal magazine release at that time as well so you will no longer have to depress the release when you load a mag.

I have a PF-9 with app 900 rounds through it, two handed, strong handed, weak handed. I have found my gun accurate, very managable in rapid fire, and quite reliable - except with 147 grain rounds. Since I was use ot the long trigger on the P-11, I had no problem with short stroking the trigger. I did have one bad mag which Kel Tec replaced. (I don't think that Megar has done as well with the mags as Kel Tec did with the gun.) Plus one on NO dry firing without snap cap. The bad mag wasn't locking back the slide when the mag was empty so I kept pulling the trigger. Eventually I broke the firing pin that way. Easy to replace the pin, but like Hot Guns said, you will bugger up the franken bolt and it is a huge PITA to fix.

I find the PF-9 to be a pocket gun in loose fitting jeans, cargo pants, or cargo shorts. Since it is the same length and height and narrower than a J frame, you can carry it in any pocket you can use for a J Frame. It also shines in IWB due ot its thinness.

Hope this helps
    Regards- conwic

I have had good service with both of my PF9s. The top one has over 1000 rds .....R02xx....never been sent back and bought Dec. '06. Center one....R47xx has all the lastest mods and has 700+ rds and never been sent back. Carry mainly as bug but when I can't carry larger gun, it's the least I carry ( sometimes carry both or 380 as bug) because of couple of "close calls" where I only had 380. GD124+p avgs 1121fps for 350 ft/lbs out of it. No reliability issues since breakin. Shoot about 50 rds/mo thru both. The six mags above were shot fast. Carried DA revolvers for about 40 years so used to full trigger reset(finger slapping inside of trigger guard on each shot) so never had a problem with "short stroke". Someone used to Glock-type trigger might have a problem?

Last edited by forestranger; May 23rd, 2008 at 11:47 PM.

I have been carrying one for 2 months now and have put 500 rounds though it with no problems HP ammo included. Pull the trigger and it works, it's more comfortable then my glock 19 or 26 to carry.
    I have the mag extension so my pinky has some thing to do.
    I have an R7 serial # and I do carry a spare mag for a total of 15 rounds just like the glock.
    Only complaint is after 100 + rounds hand stings but that's to be expected from a small fame gun.
    Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do

I've had one for about 6 months now and I really like it. The trigger pull is what took me the most time to get used to, however with a small DAO gun you take what you can get, I guess. Another slight downside for me was that since grip was so thin that shooting more than a few magazines started to get painful. The addition of a slip-on grip "condom" helped a lot and now it's not a problem for me to put 50 rounds at a time through it comfortably. As others have already been said mine has not had one misfire through 5-700 rounds so far. The best part of the gun is it's width. It TOTALLY disappears in a Crossbreed Supertuck, and coincidentally it fits perfectly in the supertuck made for my 4" 1911.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links