kahr cw40 or cw9?

This is a discussion on kahr cw40 or cw9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking of getting Kahr CW for carry, but, I'm not sure if I would get the 40 or 9 or either one. Since I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kahr cw40 or cw9?

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

kahr cw40 or cw9?

I'm thinking of getting Kahr CW for carry, but, I'm not sure if I would get the 40 or 9 or either one. Since I reload, I can cut the difference in price of ammo somewhat...I'm more concerned about comfort to shoot, reliability, and concealability. Any opinions on either would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

I'm pretty sure the CW40 and CW9 are the same size. I own the CW9 and it's one of my favorite guns, fairly comfortable with a Desantis Cozy partner IWB holster. The 9mm is a pretty snappy little gun to shoot with, but even as a relatively new shooter, I'm comfortable with it's and my ability to put quick rounds on target. As far as reliability, mine has not had one failure after the first box of ammo. (50) Although kahr recommends 200.
    Heavily armed.
    Collection: Kahr CW9, M&P 15-22, Walther P22, Glock 19.
    Sold: XD9 4'', Kimber 1911 Series II compact, FNP-9
    Shopping list: Springfield EMP 9mm, M&P 15 .223

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I have the P40 which is the same as the CW40 but with the nicer barrel and dovetails as opposed to the pinned front sight.

For a while, I'd started to wish I'd purchased the P9 instead because the P40 kicks pretty hard. But then I learned the proper shooting grip and wow what a difference. I can pound the 10 ring fast and hard from 10 to 15 feet. I enjoy the .40 now and feel good knowing I have a very powerful cartridge in my firearm. between 400 and 500 ft-lbs depending on the load I carry.

They are both identical in size.

I too bought a CW40. I bought it on a whim, and because the dealer didnt have the 9mm at the time. I traded my Keltec PF-9 for it and havent looked back. I love this little thing. The PF9 was WAY harder to control than this 40 (to me anyway). You can actually hold the CW series with all three fingers which promotes great weapon control. Either one would be a great choice.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

I have a CW9 and it is a great cc weapon in every sense, however I wish it was a 40 caliber. Everybody differs on the best caliber but I think there is enough difference between 9 and 40 to justify using the 40. It has a powerful punch.

I own the CW9 and absolutely love it. I carry it in a Galco IWB that has the spare magazine holder. The only flaw was it only came with one magazine.

I've got the CW45....6+1 in good old .45 acp, and it shoots like a dream for such a small, light pistol. Put 50 more rounds through it today (total about 500 so far), without a hiccup. I've owned the CW9, and will probably pick up another one soon....I'm standardizing all my autos to 9mm and .45. My department issued weapon is a .40, and that's fine, but I wouldn't be upset if they went with 9mm instead. It's an effective round that has been putting bad guys in the dirt for a long time.

The CW9 will get you one more round in the standard magazine, vs. the CW40. (7+1 vs. 6+1) In low capacity guns, I'll take every advantage I can get! I'd give up 1 round to carry .45 over 9mm, but not to carry .40 over 9mm. YMMV, of course.....
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

KAHRS

I have three Kahr's... very reliable guns... made for personal carry.. will last your life time... not a gun to be used on the range week after week... either the 9 mm or .40 cal will suit the situation. if one feels better just use the Gold Dot 9 mm Short Barrel Ammo +P. This will bring you up to speed. Yes all Kahr's are rated for +P.

I traded a Kel-tec P11 for my CW40. Have right at 200 165 gr. FMJ down range so far without a hiccup. Will run a few mags of 180 gr. Hydra Shok this weekend. Very accurate for a small frame gun. I too, find the CW40, more manageable than the P-11 9mm. Just fits and feels better in my hand. Best bang for your buck, IMHO.
    Wayne

Administrator
    I have had a bunch of Kahrs... on that platform (or any smaller frame) the 9mm is the way to go IMO, not even worth debating about it.
    Yes, the 40 is more powerful etc., but a 9mm is plenty effective and a pleasure to shoot out of the small guns.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a cw40, its my problem child. Reliable it is not. There have been issues with some of the cw series by kahr. From what I have read most seem to be with the cw40. So if you have your heart set on a cw series you may want to try the cw9.

Also try the glock forums they have a subforum about kahrs over there. Kahr club I belive would work for a search to find it.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

For what its worth, Im sorta new to Kahrs. I mostly carry Colts and I had a few Kel-tecs for a cheaper carry alternative to the expensive Colts. Like I said in an earlier post I traded my PF9 for the CW40 and loved it so much, I traded my P11 for a MK9. I've had them both less than a month but Im just head-over-heals in love with them. It was a big money difference, but Im so glad I traded. I cant say enough good about them. Both have been 100% reliable so far and the quality is just amazing, especially on the MK9. I cant believe I've over looked Kahrs for this long. They will get highly recommended from me. Kevin.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

I have carried a Kahr P9 for several years and have put 1000 + rounds through it without a singel malfunction. My son carried a P40 after having carried a P9, and he couldn't shoot it to his satisfaction, so he went back to the P9. I use a Bianchi IWB holster on my hip (just under my right elbow) with great comfort and maneuverability.

I usually practice shooting at about 21-25 feet at a 10" paper plate with 100% accuracy. I highly recommend the P9 for self-defense.

EW3
    I have a CW40 and it's been pretty good thus far. I've only fired it once, but out of 200 rounds, I only had one round not want to chamber and that was when the gun was getting hot and dirty. I gave the slide a little whack and it went into battery. It has a bit of "snap" (after all it is a little gun putting out a .40 S&W) but is still much more enjoyable to shoot than a .38 snubby.

If you want a really nice holster for the CW40, look at what Nate at UBG Holsters offers.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Thanks for all the help. I think I will go with the 9mm when I do pull the trigger, but recent events have slowed things down a bit. Probably July will be the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links