Defensive Carry banner

I break pistols

3K views 35 replies 28 participants last post by  ccw9mm 
#1 ·
So far, I have been shooting with CCW9mm three times. Seems like every time I shoot one of his handguns, I break it. Always the same way, too. The firing mechanism fails to engage somehow and all I get is a trigger pull with nothing happening.

The first one was his CZ which never malfunctioned. When I shot it a spring or something broke in the firing mechanism. It is now at the gunsmith. Today he brought a Kel-Tec. Flawless when he shot it, but on my fourth round, the firing mechanism malfunctioned. Again on the 6th.

He shot my Glocks without a hitch.

I am just bad luck I guess.

So anyone wanna go shooting next weekend??

#7 ·
I used to shoot my friend Larry's guns and they either broke or malfunctioned in some weird way. He called me a jinx!!! Now I get even by shooting his finely cast bullets that he molds himself in his cases with his powder and primers. Call me a jinx? Maybe a jerk but not a jinx. john

#12 ·
So far, I have been shooting with CCW9mm three times. Seems like every time I shoot one of his handguns, I break it. Always the same way, too. The firing mechanism fails to engage somehow and all I get is a trigger pull with nothing happening.
My name is ccw9mm. I bring guns to be broken. :frown:

Where's a good 12-Step Program when you need one?

It would be funny if it weren't so expensive. I need some sort of gunsmith insurance policy. I wonder what sort of score the actuarial types in "Hartford" will assign to my application? Ah, me.

I dearly love the CZ P-01 and it has been nearly flawless since new. At the gunsmith, apparently the only issue was a loosening of a screw related to the spring steel piece that keeps the magazine release in its spot. That backed out enough to allow something to interfere with the "trigger bar," such that pulling the trigger failed to move the hammer. The gunsmith's taking it through its paces but has yet to find anything else wrong. So, it should be back soon. (I imagine this is simply a LocTite "Red" type of deal, but we'll see.)

The KelTec P3AT I have just broke, as well. A piece of the polymer about the size of my pinkie fingernail came came off in my hand when I last field stripped it. Haven't determined exactly what the formal function of that piece is, but the gun no longer fires and the slide won't operate properly. So, it's toast. It's currently sitting in a ZipLoc bag in the safe, labeled as "toast -- unk."

The KelTec PF-9 that I recently purchased cheaply and on a whim decided to show its colors, with exceedingly light strikes on the primer. By comparison, the M1 Carbine we played with had very deep, perfect primer strikes. The PF-9 exhibits a strange change in the distance required to reset the trigger, too. Doesn't seem tied to anything, but on one round the reset will be Glock-like in the distance of travel required, whereas on the next round it'll be nearly to full extension. Bad, bad, bad. Needs a little further exploration, but I don't think it will last long in the safe.

You know, if it weren't for the fact that I simply cannot easily manipulate the Glock or SIG slide release, I'd be all over the Glock 19 and 26, or even the SIG 239. But that sort of failure in need could be damaging to my health. (The left hand isn't what it once was, due to damage to fingers about ~15yrs ago, so the controls on a defensive pistol need to be larger and easily manipulated, for me.)

exactlymypoint, one thing that I didn't mention is the new NAA 380 Guardian that I've got. It has yet to be broken in, but we'll play with it next time. I double-dog dare ya to find the same problem in this one. If you do, buddy, I'm calling your wife to complain. :rofl:

So anyone wanna go shooting next weekend??
I'm good with that. NAA 380 Guardian, anyone? :bier:

#14 ·
Hey I might be game to hook up with the two of you some time.

One nice thing about Exactly My Point breaking your guns is that it happened at the range rather than at a crucial time when you needed them.

#25 ·
The world's a big place. CZ and KelTec are also completely different animals. It's not as though there's Glock ... and all else.

The CZ P-01 is fantastic. I am simply unfamiliar with what to look for yet, only having put ~3500rds through it so far. One thing I've asked for is a checklist that non-gunsmiths can review, given what the P-01 can have happen. Hopefully this will keep such mundane issues such as loose screws from impacting anything in future.

Keep in mind what the exercise is, too. (Though, you might not be aware of my exercise, in this regard.) I'm in the middle of a review of various platforms and models, to see what the "right" combination will be for me. Can't do that without experimenting, pounding each one to see what will work over the long haul. In a broad survey of possible guns, not all will be perfect. Some, such as the KelTec, have a restricted mission and the expectations are appropriately aligned with that.

Perhaps you guys are short-stroking the trigger?
Nope. Thought of that. During testing, all trigger movements were with full release, to check exactly that. It's not the operator.

#31 ·
I think that says you need more Glocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.