Wood grips?

This is a discussion on Wood grips? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a Sig P239 in 9mm today and plan to make it my EDC. I'd appreciate the pros/cons of wood vs. the stock ...

Thread: Wood grips?

Wood grips?

I picked up a Sig P239 in 9mm today and plan to make it my EDC. I'd appreciate the pros/cons of wood vs. the stock polymer grips for those with experience with both.

Thanks!
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Mossberg Mariner 590 12 Ga
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."

-Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Wood tends to get a little slick, stains and retains stuff you dont want it too, but it does look nice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

B52
    I really like the way the wood grips look on the 239, but I haven't had experience with daily carry of a 239. Nice gun, I am jealous!

I'm allergic to polymer so all my handguns wear wood grips. I just prefer their looks.

I have yet to find a rubber or wood grip that grabs the hand nearly so well as a well-checkered wood grip, and no wood grip that grabs the hand nearly so well as exceptional metal checkering (ie, on the front strap of a 1911). And that's irrespective of whether the hand is dry, wet or slicked with oil, blood or whatever.

Data points:

The absolute best grip I ever had on a gun as a full-sized 1911 with proper 20-30 lpi checkering in all the right places. The front strap, the back strap, the front of the trigger guard, well-made serrations on the slide, plus hardwood grip panels with ~18-20 lpi checkering. Of course, extended shooting on that gun would tear up the hand a little, but there was nothing I could do to get a bad grip on that gun, no matter how it was shot or what I had on my hands. For an "all-weather" (all situation) grip on a gun, I can't imagine better. Of course, with improvements in polymers and composites, I'm sure that improved panels exist, these days. Haven't found them, though.

On my CZ P-01, the checkered ebony Omega grips have twice the grip (for me) as compared to the factory rubberized grip panels. Better even than the "fat" checkering on the modern Glock pistols, though not quite the "bite" of good metal checkering or stippling.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hogue aluminum grips

I have a P239 and have experimented with wood grips. They are attractive, but are generally thicker than stock polymer grips and compromise concealability somewhat.

Hogue has recently introduced machined aluminum grips for the Sig P239, and I now have these on my gun and like them very much. They are as thin as the stock polymer grips, and have better checkering to give good adhesion to your hand. They come in several colors and are quite attractive.

Hogue website - black checkered aluminum grips for Sig P239

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Thank you, I appreciate everyone's thoughtful input. Pogo, those grips do look sweet!
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Mossberg Mariner 590 12 Ga
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."

-Ronald Reagan

EW3
    I have a P239 as well. The stock grips never felt "right" to me, but after putting the rubber Hogue grips on, it's just perfect.

"Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I think wooden grips look great on most guns. 1911s and Sigs especially. I recently saw an H&K P7 outfitted with wood slabs, and I can say I honestly thought their stock plastic ones suited that gun better.

That being said, most of my guns have grips of some sort of synthetic........

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Links