Springfield EMP - First Range Visit

This is a discussion on Springfield EMP - First Range Visit within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, after a week of waiting I finally got some spare time to hit up the range. I brought some cheapo ammo I bought from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield EMP - First Range Visit

So, after a week of waiting I finally got some spare time to hit up the range.

I brought some cheapo ammo I bought from the Gunstore along with the pistol(to help break it in). Since I read that the EMP takes about 500rds to be broken in..

So I went in with some Independence ammo, and American Eagle. I think they were both 115grain FMJ.

For some reason I loaded up 3 mags of AE first. Shot all 3 mags with one fail to feed. I was kinda suprised as alot of people stated nothing but problems with the first 50 rounds. I fired off all 50 American Eagles with only that one FTF.

The independence ammo was a different story. I got a stovepipe about every 4 rounds out of the box of 50. It just did not like this ammo.

I saved a magazine of AE after the independence to see if it was now happening with all ammo and I got no malfunctions.

I am still new to handguns in general, and I am signing up for an NRA sponsored 2 day course about concealed carry specifically as well as the general fundamentals of handguns.

Overall I was satisfied with the performance of the EMP as the malfunctions seemed to only happen with one type of ammo(I will try many others in the future).

My shots seemed to be down, and to the left of center. From what I have read this seems to be trigger-jerk, or the tensing of my other fingers as I pull the trigger. It also seems I could be flinching, or preparing for the shot, am I right on this?

My groupings could of been better at 7yds, but this trip I think I was more worried about general working performance of my EMP instead of my performance. Next time since I know at least one ammo works great I can concentrate on honing my skills!

All I have to say is I am thoroughly addicted, and I can only see it getting worse from here! My father is going to be purchasing a Les Baer in the future, so I get to shoot that as well, I can't wait.

It helps to have a wonderful community to come to at the end of the day!

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLFF View Post
    So, after a week of waiting I finally got some spare time to hit up the range.

I brought some cheapo ammo I bought from the Gunstore along with the pistol(to help break it in). Since I read that the EMP takes about 500rds to be broken in..

So I went in with some Independence ammo, and American Eagle. I think they were both 115grain FMJ.

For some reason I loaded up 3 mags of AE first. Shot all 3 mags with one fail to feed. I was kinda suprised as alot of people stated nothing but problems with the first 50 rounds. I fired off all 50 American Eagles with only that one FTF.

The independence ammo was a different story. I got a stovepipe about every 4 rounds out of the box of 50. It just did not like this ammo.

I saved a magazine of AE after the independence to see if it was now happening with all ammo and I got no malfunctions.

I would not be satisfied with this performance.

I would not accept this level of performance in a carry gun.

Go get some high quality FMJ, about 200 round, and run it through the gun. If you don't encounter any problems, put 200 rounds of JHP through it.

Again, if you don't encounter any problems, it may have been the poor quality ammo you used earlier.

If you have any malfunctions in these 400 rounds, send the gun back for repairs.

Its a carry gun, malfunctions are not acceptable.

Administrator
    But, its not broken in yet... give it a chance.
    "Just blame Sixto"

How was recoil shooting it ? That's one thing I wondered about it. I have no way to shoot one, I would have to buy it and then find out. That's an expensive way to find out how a gun shoots. I like the design, etc. and the gun, just can't justify that $$$ when don't know how well it shoots..... mainly recoil, etc.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    How was recoil shooting it ? That's one thing I wondered about it. I have no way to shoot one, I would have to buy it and then find out. That's an expensive way to find out how a gun shoots. I like the design, etc. and the gun, just can't justify that $$$ when don't know how well it shoots..... mainly recoil, etc.
    I dont own one, but I have spent some quality time with one... they are nice little shooters. Like any light weight micro gun, recoil can be a little snappy, with with proper grip etc., it is very managable. They are about as easy shooting as you will get in a micro gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

No malfs in my carry guns either. I can allow for a short break in but they must prove reliable after that for carry. I am "reviewing" my newest carry now and if it can't make the grade, it goes to the sale barn.

VIP Member
    I had issues with Independance ammo in a 9mm revolver, just try something else.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I hope everything works out between you and your EMP. It's a nice little gun, but a bit on the expensive side for a 9mm, plus I'm a traditionalist when it comes to 1911 style pistols.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Thanks for the report. Let us know how it functions after some more break in time. I think you will enjoy it.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I've looked at them.

Beautiful little firearms. A bit $$ for me at this moment.

Let us know if yours settles down.

I know Malfunctions are not allowed in a carry gun. but 500 rounds is the average break-in for this EMP from what I have read. Most people fire about 300-500 and it works flawlessly after that.

As I said out of 50 rds of American Eagle I had only one malfunction.

I will be running 1500+ rounds through this gun before I attempt to carry it. I need the practice anyway, and I need to confirm it will work when I need it. If it continues to malfunction I wouldnt carry it(after the break-in period).

Remember, this is the 9mm version so the recoil is not much. I don't really have many comparisons.. I've shot a Beretta 92 and the recoil seemed much greater on that pistol. I can find the sight picture after each shot with little to no trouble at all, the recoil for me, as a newer shooter seems to be manageable, so for anyone who has experience its probably nothing.

I was able to bit a chest sized target with all 9 shots not neccessarily rapid fire, but close to it, and I'm still a beginner.

I will also most likely in the future be sending the EMP to Springfield for their "Defensive" package.

"Deburr complete pistol internally; tune extractor & ejector; recut barrel throat and polish feed ramp; check barrel bushing fit (in 5” non-ported
    pistols only); check headspace; install heavy duty recoil spring & buffer system (buffer system in 5” & 6” pistols only); smoothly tuned 4.5# trigger"

Does this sound like a good idea? It is $190. Does anyone have any experience with springfield custom shop, Ive read nothing but good things so far!

I will post updates for people when I manage to go next weekend to the range again. Im trying to find the best prices for ammo. I will be buying 200rds of American Eagle, and 50 Rds of other select brands of ammunition, including some defensive rounds to see which work the best. Some handguns just dont like certain ammo.

The AE malfunction was after the very first shot, and nothing else after that. The Independence was half stovepipes and half fail to feed properly.

$190 for a reliability job??

For the price of that gun, it should have all that done out of the box.

Well, after it breaks in it might not need a reliability job at all..

I was just asking if thats a good value, and if springfield armory does good custom work. I am very likely to be purchasing more 1911's in the future and it could be useful knowledge for used guns.

Also.. can a carry gun ever to be "too reliable"? :)

Distinguished Member
    I hope it gets better after break in , keep us posted. I don't like that Springfield frames are made in Brazil and assembled in America , keep it American made. That keeps me from buying one. Springfield should be made in America , Glock in Austria , HK in Germany , Taurus in Brazil.

I purchased a new 9MM EMP last Friday. Cleaned and lubed it before going to the range. It did have some feeding problems with the first 2 or 3 magazines, using three different kinds of ammo. After that, it worked great. Once I get comfortable with this gun, I fully expect it to take the place of my XD9 subcompact for CC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links