Buying My First Handgun

This is a discussion on Buying My First Handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Get the HK, Great choice. I carry the USPc 12+1 .40 and it is a great weapon. I like the .40, but the 9 might ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying My First Handgun

Get the HK, Great choice. I carry the USPc 12+1 .40 and it is a great weapon.
    I like the .40, but the 9 might be easier to learn.
    If you are serious about getting all the training you can, get the .40.
    After some training you will be glad you got the .40....JMO
    GET A GOOD HOLSTER.the difference is cc with ease or playing with you gun all day.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2. Remove Ads

Out of your choices I would go with the HK P2000SK 9mm. Out of all the choices available I would second Sixto's Recommendation of "G19, 229, M&P 9C or even an XD on the low(HIGH, IMO) end of the spectrum."

I would stay away from .40 all together. In a polymer gun the recoil is just too snappy for me, and based on your described stature, I don't believe you would find it enjoyable to shoot. Also, ammunition is getting ridiculously expensive and 9mm is still reasonably affordable.

As far as caliber, like others have said, with modern day ammo, none of the calibers really give up that much to the other.

Also, get thee to a gun show. Even if you don't buy anything, you will get a chance to see and hold a lot of guns from a huge inventory.

After you have narrowed down your choices, find a range and shoot as many of them as you can. It's likely that one of them will just 'feel right'.

If it's a Glock or an XD, or something without an external safety, sometimes that can be a hard 'block' to get by. For both the Glock and the XD I don't think there has ever been a case where they fired without somebody pulling the trigger. They just don't. That's when you get into the wonderful world of holsters. A quality holster will cover the trigger guard, making it impossible for an accidental trigger pull. You had questioned the 'safety' of the Glocks. I question the safety of the owner. As long as the booger finger stays off the bang switch, everything is okay. If an external safety is a must have, the new XD comes with an optional external safety, and all of the XD's have the grip safety that has to be pressed as well as the trigger safety.

If you exercise the 4 rules of gun safety, any modern handgun is 'safe' to carry as long as you are 'safe' in carrying it.

As far as the Walther, I'd avoid it like the plague, but that's just me. In a carry weapon, I HAVE to know it is going to fire every time I pull the trigger. The PPS just doesn't have that kind of reputation for unfailing reliability.

And a 9mm isn't a beginner gun where you 'work your way up' to a higher caliber. It's as adequate as any defensive caliber with a higher capacity. If you want your caliber to start with a '4', I would skip the .40 and go to the .45. IMO, the recoil is worse with a .40 than either a 9mm or a .45. And remember that recoil is subjective. A higher bore axis will produce more 'felt recoil'. A ligher gun will generally produce more 'felt recoil'. A reduced grip will generally produce more 'felt recoil.'

Good luck and stay safe out there.

Welcome to the Forum!
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I reccomend you read the Beginner's Guide To Carry as it covers well many of the perspectives discussed in this thread. Concealed Carry Forum - Carry Guide
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

You've made some really good choices there. Sixto has a very good recommendation with the Glock 19 in 9mm. The price is right and the gun is an absolute miracle of function. It is +P+ rated and I have used these hot rounds in mine and find no matter what I put in it, it runs without fail.

If you are inexperienced with handguns, don't do yourself a disservice and rule out the G19. It is an excellent choice to get your feet wet. Anyway way you go I'm sure you are well thought out. Good luck and let us know.

dude you took my advice and joined up. cool.

DONT BUY ONE!.... As I'm finding out as you make the list to decide which ONE you want to buy you wont be happy until you have all of them Least thats me it turned into a very expensive passion..

Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    DONT BUY ONE!.... As I'm finding out as you make the list to decide which ONE you want to buy you wont be happy until you have all of them Least thats me it turned into a very expensive passion..
    Truer words have yet to be spoken

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll also look a bit more into the HK USP compacts.

Especially after seeing this young girl handle the .45, I'm pretty sure I could handle it, lol.

YouTube - Girl shooting HK USP

I'll give a few glocks a try too. Can't beat their price.

I carry the USPc I love this gun, I think the USPc is a great platform for the .40,and 13 rounds.

I was bored when I broke my ankle and colored it! just made it mine..lol

I can't add much because the only one on the list that I have experience with is the PPS 9mm. I really like it and have had success with it.

Good luck and congrats for making a decision in the affirmative of personal responsibility.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I'll agree with others, you've your homework.
    I will state however, that a .40 is more lethal. I just bought a CZ 75 P-06 in .40, not a bad kick, IMO. Compared to my .357 magnum.
    From your list, I would lean toward the HK too.
    Good luck, and keep us posted.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
    I will state however, that a .40 is more lethal. .
    "Just blame Sixto"

I just when through the process of getting my first pistol. After a good deal of research and time at the range, I ended up getting the XD9SC. I carry with a crossbreed supertuck (horsehide).

My reasons (no specific order):
    1) 9mm = cheaper and more practice. And a good SD cal. with +P JHPs
    2) XD series is very nice to shoot, the glocks and keltecs didn't have the same level of comfort.
    3) XDSC can be concealed pretty easy (I can walk around with shorts and a t-shirt and it doesn't print in the supertuck
    4) XDs are as reliable (if not more) than the Glocks (I don't want to worry about my weapon working when it is needed)
    5) Grip safety is a bit of extra insurance against an AD/ND when drawing from deep concealment
    6) 10+1 or 16+1 capacity is nice, more lead = better odds

I am real happy with my purchase. Of course now that I am trying to decided between a getting a BUG (LCP), an AK or a shotty. Choices.

Go w/9mm. for all the reasons that others have already mentioned.

As far as which manufacturer, well, you will never be unhappy with H&K.

Unless you are completely sold on the SK, consider a P2000. I have one and it is my gun for everything from carry to range to IDPA (I shoot about 400 rounds a month). If you are getting it for carry only, the SK is the choice but if you are also gonna shoot it a lot, you will like the P2000.

The P2000 conceals well w/an IWB and it's extremely accurate at any distance.

I have the DA/SA trigger and w/a little practice I get that first DA shot right where I want it. You can also get them with the LEM (Law Enforcement Mod.) triggers that are sort of DA only, like the Glock. The trigger pull on those LEMs can be adjusted all the way down to 4 1/2 lbs. The folks on HKPRO.COM--The Unofficial Website for the Uncompromising HK Enthusiast just love those LEM triggers.

CAUTION! Once You Buy An H&K, You're Hooked for Life!

Were I to consider a different gun it would be a G19.
    Last edited by KenInColo; May 25th, 2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    On here, somewhere, there is a link to someone that works in a morgue.
    If you believe 'em, I have decided to, a .40 can drop a man with fewer rounds than a 9mm.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links