Buying My First Handgun - Page 3

Buying My First Handgun

This is a discussion on Buying My First Handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's not rocket science! Shot placement is king, but a there is a difference in 124gr and 180gr! There is a difference between 180 and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying My First Handgun

It's not rocket science!
    Shot placement is king, but a there is a difference in 124gr and 180gr!
    There is a difference between 180 and 230 also
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    I carry the USPc I love this gun, I think the USPc is a great platform for the .40,and 13 rounds.

I was bored when I broke my ankle and colored it! just made it mine..lol
    Oh...ha ha. I've been searching all over the Internet trying to find your uspc. Didn't realize it was just colored. It looks awesome!

Here is what it rides in VMII.... A good holster makes life so much easier!!

GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Nice.

I was thinking along the lines of something like this:

Has a bugger finger release and automatically places your pointer finger on the side of the gun from the start. I'm open to other suggestion though. Just want to keep it simple, but most importantly safe (ie. must have trigger guard).

I'm sure other people will tell you those holsters have issues,Since you have some time to learn to shoot ans pick a handgun I would suggest learning to shoot with a 22 pistol once you get the basics down and getting good groups move up to a 9mm and try some rentals,I can usually tell by the way a gun feels if i'm gonna like shooting it or not,after shooting some 9's then try shooting a 40 and see if you are able to shoot it well,I f you are all over the target with a 40 but shoot decent groups with a 9 then pick a 9,if ya shoot a 40 well then pick a 40,and practice,chances are if you ever get in a shooting situation you're training will take over
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Cool. I haven't really researched holsters yet, so I'll spend some time doing that when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    I reccomend you read the Beginner's Guide To Carry as it covers well many of the perspectives discussed in this thread. Concealed Carry Forum - Carry Guide
    That was a great read. Extremely helpful.

I think I've narrowed it down to the HK p2000sk 9mm, HK p2000sk .40, and HK USPc .45 assuming they fit my hand comfortably. I will try a few others (glock, springfield, etc) just to see how they feel. I am going to try to make it to the gun store tomorrow morning or Wednesday to check a few of these out and start signing up for the classes. I want to rent a 9mm, .40, and .45 to try out in the shooting range. Basically I'll go w/ whatever caliber I can shoot the most accurately and confidently with.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm sure other people will tell you those holsters have issues,Since you have some time to learn to shoot ans pick a handgun I would suggest learning to shoot with a 22 pistol once you get the basics down and getting good groups move up to a 9mm and try some rentals,I can usually tell by the way a gun feels if i'm gonna like shooting it or not,after shooting some 9's then try shooting a 40 and see if you are able to shoot it well,I f you are all over the target with a 40 but shoot decent groups with a 9 then pick a 9,if ya shoot a 40 well then pick a 40,and practice,chances are if you ever get in a shooting situation you're training will take over
    I have a Blackhawk SERPA like the one pictured and have no issues whatsoever. I use it for IDPA and can draw it quickly and cleanly every time. I also have a 'copy' of the MS VMII from TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters for carry. It cost 25% less with the same quality and only a 6 week wait vs. the 6 month wait from Sparks.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I went gun shopping today. Also signed up for the basic marksmenship shooting course at the gun shop (they have an indoor range). $60 for the course didn't seem too bad.

I thought the glocks, hk, and springfield fit my hand pertty good. The guy at the first store had me pretty talked into either the xd9mm or the glock 19 w/ extended grip. I learned I was very wrong though at the second store I went to. While holding the hk p2000, the guy behind the counter, a retired cop, demonstrated how easily he could knock the gun clean out of my hand. He then said "isn't much of a defense gun if they can knock it right out of your hand is it?" So yeah...I had never even considered that. If you can't keep a grip on your gun while someone tries to grab it, you're going to get your own ass shot.

I realized that I won't likely be in a situation were someone gets close enough to actually knock a gun out of my hand, but still, I thought it was interesting. I think he was just looking for a good example to sort of knock in my head that I need to get something I can grip properly or I'm going to have trouble in terms of the recoil and shooting accurately.

So he showed me a few guns that he thought would fit my hands better. I think I'm pretty in love with the Kahr 9mm. Can't remember which model he showed me though. Might have been the P9. Got to do some more research on it though. I'm going to go back to the range tomorrow and see if they have any kahr's I can rent and try out. They said if it is your first time they'll have an instructor go out with you and show you some basics to get you started.

Shooting class begins July 12th, so I need to have a gun picked out by then for the class.

Quote Originally Posted by lgreen View Post
    I went gun shopping today. Also signed up for the basic marksmenship shooting course at the gun shop (they have an indoor range). $60 for the course didn't seem too bad.

I thought the glocks, hk, and springfield fit my hand pertty good. The guy at the first store had me pretty talked into either the xd9mm or the glock 19 w/ extended grip. I learned I was very wrong though at the second store I went to. While holding the hk p2000, the guy behind the counter, a retired cop, demonstrated how easily he could knock the gun clean out of my hand. He then said "isn't much of a defense gun if they can knock it right out of your hand is it?" So yeah...I had never even considered that. If you can't keep a grip on your gun while someone tries to grab it, you're going to get your own ass shot.

I realized that I won't likely be in a situation were someone gets close enough to actually knock a gun out of my hand, but still, I thought it was interesting. I think he was just looking for a good example to sort of knock in my head that I need to get something I can grip properly or I'm going to have trouble in terms of the recoil and shooting accurately.

So he showed me a few guns that he thought would fit my hands better. I think I'm pretty in love with the Kahr 9mm. Can't remember which model he showed me though. Might have been the P9. Got to do some more research on it though. I'm going to go back to the range tomorrow and see if they have any kahr's I can rent and try out. They said if it is your first time they'll have an instructor go out with you and show you some basics to get you started.

Shooting class begins July 12th, so I need to have a gun picked out by then for the class.
    If you have your gun drawn (you must really be in fear of great bodily injury or death to have drawn your gun right?) and you have let someone advance that close and you haven't emptied your mag into him then you have hesitated too long and shouldn't even be carrying. You must always keep that 7 yard distance. Anything closer is contact weapon distance. If he's advancing and you don't shoot you better be retreating.

I don't have large hands at all and my P2000 fits it perfectly with the medium backstrap. If your hands are small, make that salesman change the backstrap to the small one (it comes w/4 different backstrap sizes) and then conduct your test. One of the reasons the P2000 came into existence was for use by female LEOs (with smaller hands than men).

PS Attempting to disarm you with a real, unloaded gun was very dangerous. That's what those baby blue and red practice guns are for. I don't know how many people have been shot by a supposedly empty gun in demonstrations like that but I know it's a lot more than with the practice guns. A retired LEO should know better than that.
    Last edited by KenInColo; May 29th, 2008 at 10:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I know you've gotten so many excellent choices here, and best bet is to try and see how they "feel" to you. That's most important. I'm going add my 2 cents worth, for what I think is a gem, and that's a CZ-75 9mm. They are as reliable as anything out there, and are well balanced and comfortable.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I like the STEYR M9-A1 or M40-A1 personally but you need to find what fits YOU and what YOU like and what works for YOU best . Check out a few gunshops and ranges . Especially the ones that rent guns . Others can only suggest what is right for you , only YOU know what really works for you .

Sounds like you're a researcher just like me. One of the ways I was able to "research" what gun I wanted to carry, what gun I wanted to use for home defense, and what gun to use for car duty, was to purchase a slew of handguns. (Don't ask how many)

These are my conclusions: Ask 20 folks what single gun they would use for carry and you'll get 20 answers. Stay with a major brand name and you won't go wrong. Don't buy anything BRAND new. (i.e. Ruger LCP, Walther PPS, etc.) Buy something that feels comfortable in your hands and that YOU can shoot well. We're all different - thank God we have such a wonderful selection of fine handguns to choose from.

My recommendation: Hechler Koch. I've got the P30, the USP45c, and the USP40 LEM. I love them all. The 2000sk in 9mm would be an awesome choice. Good luck!

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Sounds like you have been thinking this through very well so far. The training classes are excellent moves.

While I have owned several pistols over the years. I started serious considerations for concealed carry about three years ago. Fortunately, Florida is a great place to live if you want to exercise your 2nd A rights.

I went through several pistols before making my final selection. I tried Ruger, Glock, CZ, S&W Sigma, FNP, and a Taurus .357 revolver. I was never satisfied with any of them. Then I acquired a H&K USPf in .40 cal.

This pistol so impressed me that I bought another, a HK USPc in .40 and made it my everyday carry. I have never regretted my choice. The HK USP was designed around the .40, as opposed to taking a pistol designed for 9mm and upgrading. Therefore, it tames the recoil nicely. The .40 gives me what I have decided I want in the way of ballistic performance and capacity.

I recently got a S&W M&P compact .40 to use as a backup and/or pocket carry. I have been really impressed with it. I can shoot it as accurately as my HK's, and all three have been flawless performers to date.

Of your choices, I strongly recommend the HK.

Good news actually. I was disappointed that I was unable to properly grip the HK p2000 and HK USPc. However tonight, I went to Cabelas and they had an HK p2000sk. It fit my hand perfectly and felt amazing. I'm going to start another thread in a bit about the 4 finalists I have decided on.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links