Buying My First Handgun - Page 4

Buying My First Handgun

This is a discussion on Buying My First Handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by lgreen Good news actually. I was disappointed that I was unable to properly grip the HK p2000 and HK USPc. However tonight, ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Buying My First Handgun

Quote Originally Posted by lgreen View Post
    Good news actually. I was disappointed that I was unable to properly grip the HK p2000 and HK USPc. However tonight, I went to Cabelas and they had an HK p2000sk. It fit my hand perfectly and felt amazing. I'm going to start another thread in a bit about the 4 finalists I have decided on.
    You probably have small hands, have you fired these pistols yet? I would get what ever model that has the best access to controls and allows for good concealment... I would have gotten a HK2000SK but I prefer all metal guns so I personally got the Sig P239 instead... it's some what larger but I prefer the control on the Sig Sauers than any other gun out there.

Either way, definitely shoot one (rental gun) before buying whatever models your interested in.

Yeah.

I've got i down between the HK p2000sk, Glock 19/23, Spring. XD (9mm/.40/or XDm), and the Kahr 9mm/.40. I should be able to shoot at least the glock and spring. in person tomorrow. I'm hoping they will have a kahr and HK I can try too.

I'm kind of leaning more towards the hk or glock, but we'll see what happens when I start firing them.

If you can afford the HK, I would not even consider the glock or XD... but that's just my personal view on guns with "trigger safety" and "grip safeties" (that's why I would not choose a 1911 for a carry gun either, due to the grip safety.) I prefer a handgun without any safety levers (trigger, grip, or side levers) because it makes it simpler to operate.

Also, the glock 19 is about the regular size of a compact gun, larger than a HK200SK, so what about the HK2000 (larger magazine capacity for the size)? I don't know if you also considered the USP compact, but those are real nice guns... shot one in .40cal and it felt like a 9mm to me (polymer grips must have reduced felt recoil).

My first pistol was a Springfield XD-9

Chose it over the glock for simple reason of how it feels in my hand. Didnt know anything about pistols, but the salesman was cool and suggested i start off with a 9mm service model.

Shot it once at the range (100 rounds) and kept it on the night table...

3 weeks later the lil sucker saved my life and the life of my girlfriend.

User friendly right out of the box and simple.
    Priced well too.
    Id recommend it as a "First gun" anyday.
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

I would second (or third or whatever) the XD idea. I have both a stock XD40 Service (will be my primary carry in a few weeks) and a fully customized CCPR XD45 Tactical. They are both excellent firearms. The reason I bought mine is that I had been firing for well over a decade and when I picked one up at the funshow, I was amazed at how it felt in my hand. No gun I had ever held pointed so naturally and felt so good in my hand as that XD. My Grandad bought my XD40 for me before he passed, so maybe I am little biased toward that one firearm. But, who wouldn't be?

For those who love pics:

welll here goes... noob to newer noob i guess.
    I agree w/ a lot of what's been said... shoot till you can't shoot no more w/ all the guns. pick the one that feels the least fatiguing to you.
    someone earlier mentioned .22's. I couldn't +1 that any more. I ended up buying 2 guns back to back. I bought a beretta neos as a target plinker and trigger control and practice. XD9 4" for future carry/shooting.
    I take both to the range. Shoot a box of 550 .22's and 2-300 rounds 9mm.
    I couldn't be happier w/ choices that I've made.
    Just giving a little insight into my 'learning' exp.
    btw i've been shooting for about 5 yrs, and shot just about everything i could get my hands on to see what my comfort level was.
    gl on your decision!

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    IMHO I would try and start a begginner with aFull size or Maximum a COMPACT vs. a Sub Compact. From the simple stand point of learning how to shoot, and control your shooting. I would go larger in Frame size. Also, unless your on a reallly really tight and only want one gun for all purposes in that case ( good luck) I would reccommend against the .40 to start with or get the GLOCK .40 and go out and get your self a 9mm drop in barrell for it from somebody like Lonewolf. This is not a caliber argument its simple to have you get good with your trigger pull and practice. Shooting 9mm is cheaper and you'll get more proficeint faster.

IF your dead set on a 40 go for it. Its what I'm carrying now. Not because I prefer it vs. (9mm) but for some reason my trigger is smoother on my 23 vs. my 19.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I had a Glock 23 and a Glock 27 (both .40) and after buying several guns (Sigs, Kahrs) I decided on HKs.

I have the P2000 and the P2000sk. They are basically the same size as the Glocks but the overall feel TO ME is completely different. The HKs handle the recoil much better which makes me want to shoot them more. If you by the P2Ksk you can get a P2K mag and an X-Grip for your spare mag that gives you a full size grip.

I carry my P2Ksk in a M-TAC Minotaur IWB. Very comfortable. I also went through several holsters, even a custom and this is my favorite. You can check them out at Comp-Tac.com

I like the LEM trigger as it is the most similar to the Glocks I shot for 5 years.

Like many others have said, try to shoot as many as you can so that you don't go through the trading that many of us have done.

Good luck, I think you'll be extremely happy if you decide on the P2Ksk!

Cool. I liked the HK p2000sk, but my hand just barely fit and the extended grip kind of squeezed my pinky in a way that I was worried it could pinch when firing. I ended up going w/ the HK USP compact 9mm instead.

Thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...handgun-2.html
    Glock 19

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links