Wet conditions - Page 2

Wet conditions

This is a discussion on Wet conditions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A Glock, HiPower and 1911 will usually function underwater but are only good for very close range underwater. The 9mms will only function with Nato ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wet conditions

A Glock, HiPower and 1911 will usually function underwater but are only good for very close range underwater. The 9mms will only function with Nato spec or +P rated ammo. And I seem to remember the 1911 can't be to tightly fitted of an action. The concussion blast would probably burst your eardrums if you were completely submerged with the gun.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

And forget hollowpoints... they will probably expand while in the barrel and stop at extremely short distance.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

Glock has an part that you can install that allows you to shoot wet or under water... if you were under water at the time, you might break your ear drums... so it is not recommended, but you can shoot it wet (with the part change).
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Under water--not recommended.

Submerged weapon--shake out the water and you are good to go. Thoroughly clean and lube soonest.

I "tested" this theory when I was deployed....gun was completely submerged for about 5 mins....shook out the water and fired a complete mag. No problems.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Slow down, type coherently my friend!

Yes, most and handgun will fire wet. Do not fire under water due to hollow point bullets expanding in the barrel. A revolver will work without question. If it is an auto, shake the gun and you're good to go. Shaking is probably not even necessary.

The OP said his wife dreamed the guy ran her into a river. I would think, though not stated, that she is wondering about shooting out the glass to escape the vehicle???

In that case if there were no other way to get out of the vehicle and a gun was available it could be a way to survive without going deep and drowning as the car filled with water.

If I am wrong in my thinking please disregard my response....

Administrator
    If your head is submerged under water while you discharge your firearm the concussion will probably blow your eardrums out.

Your bullet will also have no real impact or penetration power at all and will only travel a very short distance.
    The last actual underwater firing test that I saw (on Gun TV) was .45 acp out of a full size 1911 (submerged in a swimming pool) and the bullet traveled a total measured distance of 12 feet (or less) and probably would not even penetrate a 1/4" sheet of plywood at only 5 feet.
    So...I'm best guessing that unless you are shooting "Point Blank" you'll not penetrate a human body with an underwater shot at all.

If your firearm is submerged then just take it out of the water and shoot it if necessary. It should function normally.

If your handgun has been soaked in water and you cannot completely disassemble it right away...shake all of the free water out of it - remove the grips and slosh it around in a quart of Acetone. That will get rid of all traces of water trapped in the internals.

I would not do that with Polymer framed handguns though.

Then shoot it full of a "water-displacing oil" like Break Free (really soak it down everywhere inside and out) and dry fire and cycle it numerous times.
    Then it will be fine.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    IF your vehicle ends up in the river...What should you do?

> First ~ Do Not Panic.

> Unfasten your seat belt.

> Unlock your vehicle doors ASAP.

> Roll down your window/windows - Calmly take deep breaths and wait until the water rushes in and fills your vehicle up with water.

The instant the vehicle fills with water you will simply be able to easily open up the vehicle door and swim out to the surface.

> If you do not know how to swim then it's never too late to learn how.
    Make it a point to learn how to swim this summer.

> If this helpful information saves your life some day then please mail a Postal Money Order in the amount of $50.00 to QKShooter In Care Of DefensiveCarry.com
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    [B]
    > If this helpful information saves your life some day then please mail a Postal Money Order in the amount of $50.00 to QKShooter In Care Of DefensiveCarry.com
    Only in America!
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

I would not fire a gun underwater. Extreme pressure, and very few guns can withstand it.

But when youíre out of the water, shake it out, pull clip and shake upside down, and your ready to go. Clean and oil when you get home.

I saw a test on TV where the Navy Seals where testing a Glock 17 fired underwater and itís my understanding it worked fine.

I also read a report where special ops order 3000 Glock 45.

I don't think a hollowpoint bullet is going to expand in the barrel of a gun,If I'm wrong show me an article to prove it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links