Wet conditions

This is a discussion on Wet conditions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my wife is starting to get it in her head that carrying is something that needs to be done now days. So she has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wet conditions

Wet conditions

So my wife is starting to get it in her head that carrying is something that needs to be done now days. So she has not 100% committed to carrying but after this dream she is about 90% there. She dreamt that a man was chasing her in a car and she got rammed off into a river. She kept running and then she woke up. In the middle of my sleeping around 3 am she woke me up and asked me is a gun can be fired after it gets wet like that.

In the middle of the night is just said yes and no and went back to sleep lol. My question to you guys is what would be the protocol if something like that does happen? (If you fall into a pool and become completely submerged in water)

Are there any guns out there with the ammo in it that would work even after something like that?

Has anyone every tried it?

PS: One step closer for my wife to carry as much as she can!
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

2. Remove Ads

I would not recommend shooting your firearm under water. Once you are out of the water, just shake the water out of the gun if it is a revolver. If it an auto loader, do the same but you may want to clear the mag and make sure it is not full of water. The ammo itself should be fine.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I know it would need a good cleaning and oiling soon but unsure of operation. Seems like it should fire fine just like in the movies but I am interested as well in responses of those with experience here. Good question.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I think there are several videos on youtube of guns firing under water. I saw one of a glock being fired in a garbage can full of water.

I don't care to try it.

I don't know about other pistols but I've seen glock torture tests where they throw a glock in the water at a streams edge fully submerged. They shake the glock around underwater stirring up mud and debri and they pull it out do a two shake of the pistol and fire it till its empty with no malfunction. Check glock torture test on youtube.
    I would rather sit before 12 than be carried by 6

"And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one".---Jesus
    Luke 22:36
    to the remaining eleven disciples following the last supper.

Administrator
    Yes, any quality pistol will fire when wet, even it has been completly submerged.

Cetainly after such an incident, a complete tear down, clean and lube is needed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Don't laugh (too hard) but when I drove my riding lawn mower into a swimming pool, one of the last things I remembered to dry out was my S&W model 38 (Bodyguard). Days later I cleaned and oiled it and changed the ammo. The once-wet ammo fired fine on a subsequent range trip. Cell phone did not make it though....go figure.

This was a complete immersion for several minutes while getting the mower out of the pool. regards, john (been there mowed that).

Haven't seen an underwater firing attempted, but during a year in Vietnam both weapons and ammo were wet a great deal of the time and fired just fine.

Now, about YouTube: YouTube - shooting a glock underwater
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    Haven't seen an underwater firing attempted, but during a year in Vietnam both weapons and ammo were wet a great deal of the time and fired just fine.

Now, about YouTube: YouTube - shooting a glock underwater
    +1 on that, also quality factory ammo is usually sealed with a primer sealant thus it can be fired underwater or wet.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Don't laugh (too hard) but when I drove my riding lawn mower into a swimming pool, one of the last things I remembered to dry out was my S&W model 38 (Bodyguard). Days later I cleaned and oiled it and changed the ammo. The once-wet ammo fired fine on a subsequent range trip. Cell phone did not make it though....go figure.

This was a complete immersion for several minutes while getting the mower out of the pool. regards, john (been there mowed that).
    Any pictures? Imagination is just not good enough...
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

Found this video. It is on hkpro.com. Just click to watch the video. Does not look to safe to shoot with water in the gun.

HKPRO.COM--The Unofficial Website for the Uncompromising HK Enthusiast
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Don't laugh (too hard) but when I drove my riding lawn mower into a swimming pool...
    That's one way to clean the algae off the bottom
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Most and no; though seen web clips doing it

ok in the sake of research my next trip to the range i will soak my M&P 40 compact and a couple mags of carry ammo i will try like 10 minutes underwater then 2 shakes and fire let me know if i should alter that plan any

Realitycramp was watching jhh3rd mow one day and danged if he didn't run off in the pool... about 5 mins. went by and he didn't come up??? realitycramp walked over and looked in the pool... jhh3rd was on the bottom trying to crank the mower..?!!? He thought what the??? and leaned into the water and said "You idjit.... choke it!

(((Must read with a shot of alcohol)))
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links