Kahr CW9 / Glock 26 carry comparison wanted

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 / Glock 26 carry comparison wanted within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking of replacing my G26 as a carry with a Kahr cw9, but, I'm really wondering if the size and weight difference is significant ...

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

I'm thinking of replacing my G26 as a carry with a Kahr cw9, but, I'm really wondering if the size and weight difference is significant enough to justify the move.
    Looking and handling both hasn't helped that much in making a choice, but I'm hoping to hear from someone who has actually carried both.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I have carried both. The Kahrs are noticeable thinner in an IWB rig, but with the proper holster, either can be carried comfortably. I got rid of my G26 some years ago because I decided to favor .40 over 9mm.

I currently have a kahr CW40 and a K40 covert. I roll with the K40 almost exclusively. I have been really considering switching out to a G27 or a G23 modified to accept the G27 magazines. The triggers on the kahrs are just two heavy and gritty for my liking, and with a limited capacity, every shot needs to count. Consequently, I find myself wanting to reach for my G23 almost all the time now.

Edit to add:

One thing I do like about my kahrs is that they just melt away with the most minimum of concealment. They win at that hands down. And if you are having trouble balancing a larger caliber with comfortable IWB carry, kahrs win on that one hands down.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Administrator
    The Kahr will carry a bit easier, but its not like the Glock is a beast to carry. I'd prefer the Kahr myself, but a lot of people prefer the extra ammo the Glock gives them... to each his own.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I love my CW9. I never owned or carried a 26 so I'm a little biased. It only comes with 1 magazine, so I got an 8 round magazine with the grip extender. I carry it in a Galco IWB with spare mag holder.

I have owned a Kahr P9 and own a Glock 26. Both are excellent firearms, but the sole reason I went with the Glock was that the Kahr would abrade the base of my right thumb during shooting. I tried adjusting my grip, but to no avail. The Glock is simply more comfortable to shoot, for me at least.
    God bless our troops!

I have a Kahr CW9 and an XDsc9 (assuming similiar footprint)and I find them both to be concealable. I do prefer to carry the Kahr when I am wearing less clothing. When I am wearing a jacket or heavier shirts I can get away with carrying the XD.

In south Texas I haven't been carrying the XD much since I bought it, but I like it more than any pistol I own. It's usually the CW9 or a pocket .38.

I've carried the P40 (a hair thicker than the CW9) and the G27 (same dimensions as the G26). The Kahr is a bit easier to conceal, nothing dramatic.

I carry the P40 in a Fist #20 IWB with a spare mag or two, giving me 14-21 rounds. I carry the G27 in an MTAC with one spare G22 mag giving me 25 rounds.

I shoot my G27 better, it carries more ammo with less reloads, and it was reliable out of the box. I had to send my Kahr back for a feedramp polish and a new recoil spring and it has been flawless since. Some have Kahrs that are reliable out of the box after the break in period.

Both are great guns, but I would definately choose my G27 over the Kahr. Since you already have a G26, I would not get rid of it to get the Kahr.

Just my opinion, good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I had a G26 a couple of years ago, but got rid of it because I never could shoot it very accurately for some reason. Switched to a CZ 2075 RAMI (pretty much same size/weight/shape) and carried it for a while. I recently changed again to a Kahr CW9 and love it. Nothing wrong with the G26 or the RAMI and both were reliable. The Glock/RAMI were OK to conceal, but, as I am on the slim/small side (5'10', 150) they still seemed to print some no matter what I tried. The Kahr, I can hide no matter what I wear and it shoots great. I personally like the trigger on the Kahr, but it is different than anything else I've ever shot and it did take a little getting used to. I've got about 400-500 rounds through the Kahr so far without a single malfunction. Anyway, bottom line is I would choose the Kahr again in a second; but, if you can conceal the G26, then you definitely can't go wrong with a Glock. Hope this helps.
    -LP-
    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama (May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times)

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Thank you all for your replies, i knew I would get some good resources here. I guess I really wanted to hear that the differences in size and concealability was dramatic between the two, but that does not seem to be the consensus. I think that I will follow NY27's advice, and keep the G26.....it's really been flawless in many rounds. Besides, I already have an Airweight .38 and a Ruger LCP for pocket carry.

That’s exactly the way I see it. If it’s to hot to ware a jacket to conceal the Glock 26, I pocket carry the little Kel-Tec P3AT.

The only thing I don’t like about pocket guns is they are not very accurate beyond 10 feet or so.

But, then again they are a BUG… and they do what they do best up close.

I carry 357 Revolvers for pocket or waistband. After reading too many scary stories, I started carrying a Glock 26 for backup. With a few G17 Mags I feel I have plenty of firepower and the 26 will fit the back pocket of my Carpenter Pants if it has to.

Links