Defensive Carry banner

PM9 versus PF9 Trigger

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  kubmiester 
#1 ·
My wife and I carry P3AT's. Though small and easy to carry, the trigger pull bothers us both a bit as well as the sights (old eyes problem I guess). I have been thinking about replacements, but would like to stay with the pocket guns. After reading a lot of posts here and elsewhere, the Kahr PM9 or Kel-Tec PF9 may be a suitable replacement for us. Unfortunately, we are unable to find somewhere that has ones we can test fire. Hence, maybe someone here that has used both could offer their opinions. Specifically,

Are the differences in trigger action between the two noticeably different and, if yes, how? Keep in mind my only point of reference is the P3AT.

Are the differences in sight design a major issue?

Thank you.

Mike

#2 ·
Well, I don't have the PM9, but I have an MK9 and a P40. The Kahr triggers are very smooth, but both are long and heavy just like the P3AT, which is also DAO.

I've put close to 1500 rounds downrange, mostly through my P40. A couple hundred were the MK9. I like the triggers. They're no Kimber Custom 1911s, but I feel much more safe knowing I will never have a ND due to a hair trigger. My opinion after only shooting 57 rounds through the P3AT today was that the trigger felt plasticky and cheap compared to the Kahr, but not incredibly uncomfortable or bad, if that makes any sense. It is a DAO trigger, after all.

As for the sights, holy cow. The P3AT basically has none. I sighted down the top of the slide, similar to how I would with a paintball gun. Was more than accurate enough to stay within COM @ 21 feet.

However, the night sights on my Kahrs are awesome and would be an advantage if I needed to make shots in the dark at a target I could see.

as for pocket-carry, the P3AT is awesome and they do not compare to the little Kahrs where size in concerned.

#3 ·
I have both the PM-9 and the PF-9 and there's no contest, the PM-9 wins hands down. If you can afford either one, go with the PM-9.

Hoss

#4 ·
Having owned a P3AT and now an owner of a PM9 here's the difference from my experience.

P3AT - fairly light, lighter feeling than most revolvers, but very long like most revolvers it breaks at the very very end of travel, felt comfortable using the built in clip for carry because of the trigger

PM9 - fairly light, comparable to the P3AT, but shorter travel than the P3AT, it usually surprises me because I expect it to break further back, much better for accuracy, but also probably not as "safe" since it isn't a very long pull (I wouldn't feel comfortable with mexican carry because of the shorter trigger pull, holster carry only)

#5 ·
I have a PM9 and a buddy of mine has a P3AT. I have shot his P3AT a couple of times and really like the little pistol but I prefer the smooth trigger on my PM9. Recoil isnt as heavy on the PM9 with non +P loads as well, but since I carry +P the recoil is not too different between the two. The P3AT pinches the webbing of my hand a bit after about 30 rounds or so and the PM9 does so after about 50 or so but not quite as much. Either way I think you will be pleased. I pocket carry my PM9 with no problems and my friend carries his P3AT in the pocket with no issue.

#7 ·
I have both and the PM-9 trigger is much better. That's the main reason I carry the Kahr over the PF-9.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.