Glock FTF

This is a discussion on Glock FTF within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I participated in my first tactical match last weekend. It was as three gun match: pistol, shotgun and carbine. Since caliber did not matter, I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock FTF

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Glock FTF

I participated in my first tactical match last weekend. It was as three gun match: pistol, shotgun and carbine. Since caliber did not matter, I thought I would use my brand new, only been fired 100 times Glock 19.

During the initial range test, the Glock performed flawlessly. Fed and fired everything. Heck it even worked for ccw9mm. He could not break MY guns.

However, at the match, at the first station where I was to use a pistol, it did not work so well. I loaded the magazine to its full capacity, 15 rounds. That last round took a bit and it was tight, but it fit. On the load and make ready command, I unholstered my gun, inserted a magazine, racked the slide and reholstered. On the beep, I drew, aimed and click. Nothing. Tapped, racked and tried again. It fired. That scenario happened twice on two different stations. Always the first round. From there, it worked fine. I am not sure if a round did not get chambered or what. Under the stress of a match, it was not the time to thoroughly examine the gun.

Then, on one stage, I did a reload on what I thought was an empty chamber. Dropped the magazine, loaded a fresh one, racked the slide and now I got a double feed. Thinking back on that, I think it was another FTF as it is hard to get a double feed on an empty chamber.

I will have to put the gun through its paces again to discover what was going on. I am not sure if the first issue is a failure to feed the first round when they are that tightly packed in the magazine or what. But the double feed was troubling. I also do not like the way Glock has a difficult magazine release. I installed an extended mag release which should help that issue. I wish the empty magazine would drop nicer, as I almost had to pull it out with my left hand. That is the official Glock procedure, but not the way I was taught.

Stand by for breaking news as it comes in.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

It seems a common issue with Glock magazines that they are a "bit short" for the last round. There are some tricks on how to squeeze in the last round in the Glock FAQ (The Glock FAQ [Magazine Information] ... someone pointed that out to me here the other day). But I found like you, that after squeezing in the last round, it may not feed right. I just load my magazines one round short :-( Better one round less then an unreliable first shot.

Armor-all your Glock mags to help them drop free.

I was wondering about this problem. If I squeeze (actually force) the last round into my GLOCK 20 mag, and drop the slide, I ALWAYS find an unfired round on the floor, and the mag is one short. Seems a wierd thing to do, pop the first round out so fast I can't see it, but chambering the second round at the same time. Tried putting one in the barrel first, and it still pops the first round out. Standard GLOCK mags, not aftermarket, stock springs.???

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    1)only been fired 100 times Glock 19

2)That is the official Glock procedure, but not the way I was taught.

Stand by for breaking news as it comes in.
    1) Not enough. As Glockmeister indicates, load your mags and let them sit a few days. After that, always use "smack/slap"- smack the base of the mag against the heel of your palm, then slap the back of the mag the same way. This helps ensure double stack, rearmost positioning for your rounds.

2) Use Armorall and/or a brass baseplate from Brownells. I don't compete, but have found that dragging my support hand down in a pseudo-pull on the edge of the basepad on the way to a fresh mag is usually enough to get things moving.

Okay, this is easy. Lock the slide back, insert the mag, drop the slide home. Your mags are new and stiff, but they will work in quickly. I believe what happened is that they did not seat fully in the mag well.

If your magazines are metal lined they should drop free, period. If they are the European, non-lined mags they will not. I do Armor-All my mags and mag wells, but I'm not sure what it really does other than make then shiney.

Bob21bobby--what you described is not possible. You're missing something in that description. In order to do what you describe the gun would have to strip one, rack itself and strip another one without firing the first one, and do it so fast that you could not see or feel it. Are you sure of what you're saying?

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

He may be dislodging the top round when he forcefully seats the mag with an open chamber, letting a round fall, then drops the slide.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

whw
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post

However, at the match, at the first station where I was to use a pistol, it did not work so well. I loaded the magazine to its full capacity, 15 rounds. That last round took a bit and it was tight, but it fit. On the load and make ready command, I unholstered my gun, inserted a magazine, racked the slide and reholstered. On the beep, I drew, aimed and click. Nothing. Tapped, racked and tried again. It fired. That scenario happened twice on two different stations.
    Hello exactlymypoint,
    I've had the same experience. If you load the mag to capacity, there isn't much play left because the spring is fully compressed. When you insert the mag, it won't seat properly because that first round is actually hitting the slide. A good whack on the mag's baseplate will seat the mag properly, but you need to hit it like you mean it. If you don't, you end up with an empty chamber.

whw

This is weird.

Have someone else load and shoot the gun and see if they do anything different & have better results than you are.

What ammo did you use???
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

told you to go with the XD

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Have someone else load and shoot the gun and see if they do anything different & have better results than you are.
    CCW9mm fired it. It was full charged then, too. Funny, it only happened during the match

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    What ammo did you use???
    UMC 115gr 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    told you to go with the XD

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    My 19 has had a total of 3 malfunctions in several thousand rounds. One was a squib load (not the weapon's fault). Two were what I'll call "user error". The mag, though seemingly seated, was in fact not. I suspect you may have fallen victim to the same malady (the tightness of that last round, then inserting it into the pistol with the slide forward, it can seem to be seated but be just slightly not). Then you did the tap rack bang drill, and that remedied it. Just my theory, YMMV. (Try to bump the mag solidly next match before racking it).

As for the double feed, were both cases full rounds, or was one spent? (I sort of assumed you meant FTE, unless I am confused- which could be the case!).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I have never had these issues with my 19. I have several thousand rounds through it without one single malfunction. I have used Winchester, Speer and Federal rounds.

Funny things happen when the pressure is on. Shooting at the range with no pressure is much different than shooting competition.

Try to relax next time you compete. Shoot just like you do when you practice.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Try to relax next time you compete. Shoot just like you do when you practice.
    Well, um, er, I break guns when I practice, so I am just rising to the level of my training.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links