Used Kel-Tec P3AT W/ Range Report

This is a discussion on Used Kel-Tec P3AT W/ Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, the other day I was at the local gun store and they had a used P3AT in the case. It's the first I've seen ...

Thread: Used Kel-Tec P3AT W/ Range Report

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar

Used Kel-Tec P3AT W/ Range Report

Well, the other day I was at the local gun store and they had a used P3AT in the case. It's the first I've seen here while perusing the gun stores for months looking for one.

I bought it for $225 with one magazine, the original case, and lock.

The store clerk told me it only had about 30 rounds fired through it, and the original purchaser traded it in for a Glock 26.

I took it home, field stripped it and took some 500 w/d sandpaper to the feedramp. It looked pretty bad with some ugly machining marks perpendicular to the direction the cartridges chamber.

Anyway, to make a long story short I polished that ramp, applied grease to the rails and a few other parts, put it back together and loaded it with Winchester SXTs.

Took it to the range today, bought a box of WWB .380. Fired the 6+1 I carried it with of SXT, and the 50 rounds of WWB without a single malfunction. The little thing is much easier to shoot than I had anticipated, and I totally disagree with the assertations I've read that these are only accurate to 10 feet.

At 10 feet, I was shooting about 4" groups, and at 21 feet I had no trouble at all hitting COM every time.

I'm actually quite impressed with the little gun! I'll be following up with much more range time before I'm truly comfortable with it, and I need to find a good defensive round to pack... not sure about the SXTs.. just bought them to have something 'till I figure out what I want to carry.

Talk about a gun that is easy to carry! I have it in the pocket of my bathrobe (shut up) right now. Much easier to carry in the house than my Kahr P40!!

2. Remove Ads

Keltec

My shooting buddy has a Keltec 380 and it is surprising mild to shoot I think. He does sewing of leather type heavy material and made a neat wallet type holster for it. He added the slip on Hogue rubber grip to cushion it a little.

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo View Post
    My shooting buddy has a Keltec 380 and it is surprising mild to shoot I think.

I had the same thought. I was expecting a very uncomfortable, harsh and unfun time at the range, but I honestly enjoyed shooting the little bugger. I guess the people who complain so much about them probably wouldn't enjoy shooting my Kahr P40 either. The .380 is a kitten comparatively.

Yea when I shot my LCP, the recoil wasn't bad but my trigger finger got pinched between the trigger and trigger guard. Try shooting some Remington FMJ and JHP. Mine jammed with FMJ -> I did fluff and buff -> FMJ doesn't jam but now Rem JHP jams. Winchester FMJ worked well.

I have only had one FTE on mine when I am shooting it, however it had a FTE almost 30% of the time when someone else tried it, and that was due to a limp wrist. I have found that the P3AT is very prone to FTE when limp wristing. Although it isn't all that bad, it still has a good bite to it when compared to large size models.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    Well, the other day I was at the local gun store and they had a used P3AT in the case. It's the first I've seen here while perusing the gun stores for months looking for one.

I bought it for $225 with one magazine, the original case, and lock.

The store clerk told me it only had about 30 rounds fired through it, and the original purchaser traded it in for a Glock 26.

I took it home, field stripped it and took some 500 w/d sandpaper to the feedramp. It looked pretty bad with some ugly machining marks perpendicular to the direction the cartridges chamber.

Anyway, to make a long story short I polished that ramp, applied grease to the rails and a few other parts, put it back together and loaded it with Winchester SXTs.

Took it to the range today, bought a box of WWB .380. Fired the 6+1 I carried it with of SXT, and the 50 rounds of WWB without a single malfunction. The little thing is much easier to shoot than I had anticipated, and I totally disagree with the assertations I've read that these are only accurate to 10 feet.

At 10 feet, I was shooting about 4" groups, and at 21 feet I had no trouble at all hitting COM every time.

I'm actually quite impressed with the little gun! I'll be following up with much more range time before I'm truly comfortable with it, and I need to find a good defensive round to pack... not sure about the SXTs.. just bought them to have something 'till I figure out what I want to carry.

Talk about a gun that is easy to carry! I have it in the pocket of my bathrobe (shut up) right now. Much easier to carry in the house than my Kahr P40!!
    I heard reports on the .380 model, that you should not use underpowered ammo because you will get malfunctions (failure to eject from what I read).

The workmanship on my 2nd gen P32 (got it new for $280) was good for the asking price, and the feed ramp on my gun actually looked as if it were already polished... I don't know if it originally came like that from the factory or if the gun shop did it, but it's polished. Only got 50 rounds of 32acp through the gun but it was ALOT of fun to shoot, and I never knew pocket pistols could be fun to shoot. 9I guess it's more challenging than my Sig 220 due to the type of sights etc.

Administrator
    Glad that it's functioning great for you.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Congrats! I've got about 150 rounds through mine so far with only one FTE in the first magazine. Mine is my new favorite carry gun. I've got some Remington Golden Saber's in mine right now. You should give those a try.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post
    Congrats! I've got about 150 rounds through mine so far with only one FTE in the first magazine. Mine is my new favorite carry gun. I've got some Remington Golden Saber's in mine right now. You should give those a try.

Wht
    Will do. I think it depends on what they have at the gunshop! Unless I order some ammo online which can get expensive.. I tend to order more than I can afford when I do that.. lol

i am using ball ammo in my p3at. but the round in the pipe is a hydro shok with ball ammo behind. my second mag is all ball ammo. great little carry, you will find out that it will be with you more than the bigger guns tha you have. get the belt clip, it is one of the best things made for it. get a uncle mikes small auto holster size one for pocket carry. i use the uncle mikes small auto size one for front, back, and jacket carry. the belt clip at other times.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    Will do. I think it depends on what they have at the gunshop! Unless I order some ammo online which can get expensive.. I tend to order more than I can afford when I do that.. lol
    I know how that is. I get my Golden Saber locally at a Bass Pro Shops that we have in town. It seems to be the only defensive ammunition they carry. Other than WWB JHP.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[QUOTE=razz;737124]my trigger finger got pinched between the trigger and trigger guard.QUOTE]

I sanded and rounded the tip of the trigger just a little and it helped this problem tremendously. It pinched my finger every time I pulled the trigger. 10 minutes and a little sandpaper and all is good.

Links