J Frame trigger job without taking gun apart?

This is a discussion on J Frame trigger job without taking gun apart? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read somewhere you can smooth out the action of a J frame by mixing polish-o-ray into a goopy substance, shooting it into the action ...

Thread: J Frame trigger job without taking gun apart?

I read somewhere you can smooth out the action of a J frame by mixing polish-o-ray into a goopy substance, shooting it into the action and dry firing...........any opinions?

i don't think so...... the best way to do a trigger job is to open up the gun and take out parts. there is a good book on the S&W wheel guns. it shows how to do a trigger job. i don't remember the names of the book, i have it somewhere in the reloading room. it you try your way, lets us know how it works.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    no clue if this'll work but having messed up a lot of different things I wouldn't do this if I was you!

If you have no other source, consider sending it to Gemini Customs for a trigger job.

from what i've been told by several reliable sources, just dry fire it several times. i've dry fired mine probably 500 times and can tell a noticeable difference in trigger pull. it's also a good time to practice drawing, grip, and rapid sight acquisition. when dry firing, you can see every twitch that the barrel makes, and with such a small barrel a 1mm twitch can be several inches at only a few feet. pick a spot on the wall, i.e. a light switch, and practice a smooth trigger pull until you can dry fire without the sights leaving the mark.

Read years ago that a 1000 dry fires in revolver was a "poor man's action job". With snap caps, have done that with all my new revolvers and it works......maybe not as good as a true action job but it sure helps slick things up.

Well, you can goob a gun up with just about anything. Just be sure you clean, lubricate and test fire your revolver afterwards. If a gun can survive being put in the dishwasher, it can survive your 'action job'.

Just don't expect too much and make sure you get it clean and lubed before you actually use it.

Ensure it is well washed and you use a water-displacement type of lube on it the first few times out.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

For what it's worth, I would not even consider doing what you are thinking about, but that's just me.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Polish O Ray is a metal removing compound.

Read: Metal Removing

Yes, it's a "poor man's action job" but be carefull. The metal you remove cannot be put back. You are better off dry firing the gun 1,000 times, and you will see an improvement. Gunsmiths remove metal when they do an action job, just like Polish O Ray. The difference is, the Gunsmith has the Sideplate off and can see what he or she is removing.

BTW: This was an article in the latest issue of "American Handgunner".

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Polish O Ray is a metal removing compound.

BTW: This was an article in the latest issue of "American Handgunner".
    That would figure. Don't do it. Basic rule of thumb: don't round sharp edges, don't square rounded edges. You'll do both, dumping grit in your action.

Man up, spend the $30 or so bucks for the square Spyderc ceramic stone and gunsmith driver & bits from Brownells or Midway, maybe even buy the trigger return spring retainer tool, and pop that sideplate. Mostly, you want to smooth the bottom and side of the rebound slide and the flats in the frame that it rides on. If you want a REALLY nice trigger, get the Power Custom Trigger & Hammer sideplate shims.

Administrator
    I wouldn't do that but, you can easily do a very decent action job on a S&W at home and really smooth things up without harming your handgun and without any special tools.

They are pretty doggone easy to work on.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Why not just take it to a S&W certified gunsmith, and have an action and trigger job done.

I did on my Ruger 44 mag. Oh boy what a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Why not just take it to a S&W certified gunsmith, and have an action and trigger job done.

I did on my Ruger 44 mag. Oh boy what a difference.
    The only thing I will say is that if you don't have a personal relationship with your local smith...many of them are a lot like car mechanics.

I can pop a sideplate and "wow" most folks with about 5 minutes work with some 400 grit wet/dry paper(not that I do, but I have seen it done); most people will never know the difference. Contrast that with a proper stone job, shimmed hammer and trigger with no frame drag, and a lighter hammer spring...ooohhh, ahhh!

Sponsored Links