Looking for new firearm

This is a discussion on Looking for new firearm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, i want to get a 1911 to carry, the main problem i am facing is that i am in Florida and normally just have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for new firearm

Looking for new firearm

Ok, i want to get a 1911 to carry, the main problem i am facing is that i am in Florida and normally just have a T-shirt and shorts on. I have been looking at several different brands/styles. I was wondering if it will be possible to easily conceal a commander sized 1911 with a good IWB in this type of clothing? I dont know if this is possible so i have been looking into getting an officer sized frame with a 3.6" or 4" barrel. The problem is that this limits the manufactures and ends up costing more money. If this is what it is going to take then this is what it will take but i was mainly wondering if anyone that was around 5'10" Medium build 180lbs is able to conceal a 4" barreled commander sized frame 1911 with just a T-shirt and shorts?

I would appreciate pictures

So far i have been looking at STI, Springfield, Kimber, Para, ect... the best one that i have came across that has what i want and is an officer sized frame with a longer barrel is the Kimber compact CDP II. Nice gun just expensive compared to a Loaded Springer champion.

Thank you
    Adam

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I typically carry my Springfield Champion with shorts and a T shirt. Sorry no pics, but I find if I wear the shorts with the front only (at the belt buckle) of the t tucked in it conceals the gun even better.
    I am 5-10 and 180 lb too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I carried a 1911 5" version under a Hawaiian Shirt today.

The "trick" is using a good Belt and Holster. I was using my Mitch Rosen ARG and a Bruce Gibson Gunbelt. BTW: I'm a "little guy" at 5' 06" and 140 pounds soaking wet.

Good gear goes a long way to aiding concealment. I don't think you should have a problem hiding a shorter barrelled gun, as the frame is the hard part to hide, in my expirience.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I carry a 1911 100% of the time. Either a 5" Les Baer or a 4" Kimber. Good IWB holster from TT Gunleather and a good belt from John W. O'Rourke and both conceal very well under just a t-shirt.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

I carry a 5" 1911 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special. Works quite well with t-shirt and shorts. I'm 5"9" and 185, and it conceals quite well.
    Just tonight I went out to dinner with family and friends, nice restaurant, visited for a couple of hours after dinner, came home and my wife noticed the pistol after I took off my polo shirt. If any of the several hundred people who saw me tonight noticed the gun they did not say anything and believe me many of the family and friends we were with would have come unglued had they known!

I have the Kimber CDP II in Ultra and I'm picking up the Compact CDP II next weekend. Both are easy to conceal in a T-shirt and shorts...not even close to being a problem...

Stay armed...with a Kimber...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    remember that barrel length is really not an issue with IWB, so as far as the 1911 platform the only real difference in concealment would be whether a full size grip or a compact grip!

Check out Dan Wesson's Bobtail. 4 1/4 bushing barrel with a bob. Looking at buy it for my next carry as well.

Thanks for all the comments

yeah i know it is the grip size that matters that is why i was wondering if the difference in grip length from the Kimber Compact vs the Pro is going to make or break concealed carry with just a T-shirt. The compact grip is .5" shorter than the Pro.

Compact = officer sized frame (Springfield doesnt off this kimber does but it is over 1000 dollar for one with ambi safety :()
    Pro= Commander (offered by both but i has .5" longer grip)

Administrator
    IWB in Florida?

Suggestion:
    Try OWB behind the hip in a good custom leather rig with a good gun belt.
    Wear an oversize untucked darker colored 100% cotton heavy weight T-Shirt.

Heavy weight T-Shirts are just slightly thicker and better quality Cotton T-Shirts.
    They are not any "hotter" than the lighter weight cheaper Ts.
    They do not "print" like cheap T-Shirts.

You'll be much more comfortable carrying OWB than having either a Kydex or leather rig stuck in your pants on super humid days.

Try not to "Over-Conceal" unless it's absolutely necessary.

A Commander size firearm is no problem - just make sure that you pick a carry rig with at least a 15 degree forward cant.

A Commander size firearm is no problem - just make sure that you pick a carry rig with at least a 15 degree forward cant.
    The amount of cant with the Rosen ARG is why I am able to conceal it well. The ARG has more cant than "normal".

Biker

Yeah i was thinking that that would help quite a bit. Maybe i will stick to IWB on my M&P and get an OWB for my 1911 when i get it.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Fastwaker View Post
    Check out Dan Wesson's Bobtail. 4 1/4 bushing barrel with a bob. Looking at buy it for my next carry as well.
    +++1

Dan Wesson's cbob is a fantastic carry 1911. IME, the bobtail conceals every bit as well as the Officer frame and you get more front strap. The DW is well made and reasonably priced for what you get.

Another suggestion would be a CCO style. Commander slide on an officer's frame. If this interests you, the Les Baer Stinger is the best of the bunch.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

I'm 6'1" and 145lbs(skinny I know) and carried a Kimber Pro IWB for a long time usually under a loose Tshirt and never got made. I find 1911s pretty easy to conceal.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Ok now that i have this figured out i might have to make a new thread called what holster to get lol any suggestions? Somthing with a reasonable wait, and good quality leather? IWB or OWB still deciding

Adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links